• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:34 AM

Jarhead, I love the Stryker too...a great "go-to" knife though various laws make it less than the optimal solution in certain places.
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#22 benderator

benderator

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Large sebenza . Also have a Spyderco Rock Lobster.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

#23 nqthai

nqthai

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

5 Solas said:Also, another eternal question: folder of fixed with sheath?  It would seem that with EDC a folder would be preferable but I can see the use of fixed as well.  Thoughts?

It really comes down to the practicality of it. From day to day it's just hard to carry a fixed with a sheath. Folders are good for all the tasks most people need to do when it comes down to the day-to-day grind in the office or in the wilderness. However, when it comes to straight up haveing a decent knife that you can bet your life on in a situation I'd say the majority of guys would like a nice solid fixed bland on hand. Really I think fixed blades are something more reserved for your Bug-Out-Bag or Emergency Car Kit. It's not something to carry from day to day unless you are in a tactical or heavy-duty line of work.My 2 cents on that one.

#24 AKIA

AKIA

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:34 AM

My main carry knife is a Microtech SOCOM-Elite auto opener that I have had since early 07.  So far it has worked great for me and done everything I needed it to do without a problem.  I also have some ZT knives I carry from time to time.  My next EDC knife purchase is coming up though and I have been debating between an Emerson,Strider or something else.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.pngNON SILBA SED ANTHAR

#25 BAND-AID

BAND-AID

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

I have carrie this for almost 3 years and I use it for everything. I love this knife it has been with me through so much and has always come out on top. Can't beat a kershaw for the price.Posted Image

Edited by BAND-AID, 12 February 2010 - 11:07 PM.

Posted Image"invisible soles leave .308 holes"

#26 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

I don't go too far without my Ka Bar TDI knife.  I also carry a CRKT folder.  The TDI knife is a great second line of defense and all around utility blade.The concept came from TDI which is not too far from where I live.  I've trained with the guys who designed it and many guys I work with swear by it for on-duty carry as well as off.
Posted Image

#27 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

N98 said:It really comes down to the practicality of it. From day to day it's just hard to carry a fixed with a sheath. Folders are good for all the tasks most people need to do when it comes down to the day-to-day grind in the office or in the wilderness. However, when it comes to straight up haveing a decent knife that you can bet your life on in a situation I'd say the majority of guys would like a nice solid fixed bland on hand. Really I think fixed blades are something more reserved for your Bug-Out-Bag or Emergency Car Kit. It's not something to carry from day to day unless you are in a tactical or heavy-duty line of work.My 2 cents on that one.

Fair enough, and what I had initially thought.  Thanks!
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#28 fuspar

fuspar

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

No SOG love? I carry a mini X-ray these days and I like it a lot. Very compact and light, yet sturdy enough for prying once in a while. I took it apart and polished all the moving surgaces and it opens like a sob. Only drawback is that there are no colors avaialble, I'd prefer an all black version.Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 CenterMass

CenterMass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

I rotate out a few different knives for EDC.  In my pocket right now I have a Benchmade 585 Mini Barrage.  I like this kinfe alot.  Its assited-opening and their AXIS lock is one of the best in the business.  I also carry a Benchmade 556 Mini Griptillian.  Its light and a little thinner than the Barrage. For the money, one of the best knives Ive picked up is a Columbia River Knife and Tool (CRKT) Drifter.  You can pick them up between $20 and $30.  Very good solid knife and man can it keep an edge.  The liner lock is very nice and tight and theres no waggle in the blade at all.  Im thinking about picking up another one just to stow away in my EDC bag.

#30 John

John

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Here's some SOG love.I currently carry the Flash II. Just found some older, no longer made Flash II Tantos online that will soon replace my current model.Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#31 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

I am usually a Benchmade or SOG fan, I have a Benchmade 5300SBK Tanto Auto Presidio as one of my first carry knives, I got it while in Iraq and I used it religiously for everything, and on my vest I have a SOG Seal Pup which I used all the time from cutting 550 cord to cutting zip ties and 100mph tape off of EPWs.Now, since I don't want to loose my benchmade and I have come to find out that it is kind of difficult to sharpen the tanto style blade, I sent it in to get a resharpening from benchmade which is a nice service they provide. I carry a Buck Bantam BBW which I found at academy for $9 bucks, it is a good carry blade for what I do everyday and it had the sharpest blade I have ever encountered on a factory right out of the box knife.All around it gets the job done for what I need to do and if it ever breaks I can get a new one for not a lot of money.

Edited by Virius, 24 February 2010 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#32 Suriel

Suriel

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:19 AM

Posted ImageBenchmade 551 Griptilian OD, my baby.

#33 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

This is what I carry when I get dressed up.  A little sexy mix of Rose Wood, Carbon Fiber, and Titanium.Posted Image

#34 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Brockb, that's a great knife!  What is the model?
Posted Image

#35 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

5 Solas said:Brockb, that's a great knife!  What is the model?

Its a Benchmade 690 thats been discontinued.  You don't seem them up for sale very often anymore.http://www.benchmade.com/products/690

Edited by Brockb, 26 February 2010 - 02:55 AM.

#36 BAND-AID

BAND-AID

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

I have never seen that Benchmade model before its very interesting. Ill have to keep my eye out for one.
Posted Image"invisible soles leave .308 holes"

#37 mark

mark

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

Here is my dress up knife!Posted Image

#38 rkuntz

rkuntz

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

Benchmade Auto Stryker is my EDC. A very sturdy lock-up for an auto knife and it seems to keep an edge very well.Plus a little Ka-Bar TDI LDK in my wallet.https://www.kabar.co...Law Enforcement
Posted Image“I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.”nnMark Twain

#39 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

Emerson CQC-7B (Second one, first one is so beat up, I decided to treat myself to a new one. 5 years of everyday use will do that.)Spyderco P'kal or a customized (Tsunami'ed Mod) Benchmade Griptilian. Either are always carried weak side for firearm retention.Tekna Security Card - Great knife, throw some velcro on it, you can mount it anywhere... even use it as a duty belt buckle cover.Microtech UTX70 - Love that little guy.
Posted Image

#40 Rene Moreno

Rene Moreno

Swabbie

• Plank Owner
  • 45 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Texas

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:05 AM

Brockb said:This is what I carry when I get dressed up.  A little sexy mix of Rose Wood, Carbon Fiber, and Titanium.Posted Image

Thats Sexy!
Posted ImageMolōn labe!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users