• lvk812, Curries103, AlfrediaNiz and 3 others like this

#2 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 718 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:50 AM

Long story short, I consider myself part gadget junkie, part idea starter*, and part professional Internet surfer.

Instead of the typical resume format that simply lists where I put in most of my hours each day, here's one that puts a little more insight into my life:

• After summiting my first 14,000 foot peak, I napped in the back of a pickup on a dusty Colorado road as I moved to the next campsite.
  • I’ve been caught in a sudden downpour and near flash flood while hiking in Utah canyons.
  • In the middle of a nonstop day exploring New York City with some of my closest friends, I took a nap on the rocks in Central Park.
  • I’ve visited the worlds most dangerous hot dog stand.
  • Through an open tent on the Yosemite Valley floor, I watched and was lulled to sleep by moonlit Winter rockslides.
  • A giant sea turtle once smacked me in the face with his fin while SCUBA Diving in Hawaii. I later ran out of air at 40 feet. Unrelated.
  • I’ve been on family trips to see ancient petroglyphs in Arizona and played soccer with local kids in the mountains of Romania. 
  • I’ve personally seen [what I consider to be] the original stealth aircraft, the Lockheed YO-3A Quiet Star, in an Edwards Air Force Base hangar. 
  • I cooked and ate a fish I caught with my bare hands in a Colorado stream.
  • I’ve gone skinny dipping with my wife from a pitch black beach in Hawaii.
  • I climbed halfway into the cockpit of an F-8 Crusader at an air and space museum before almost getting caught. 
  • I’ve walked 42.5 miles in 14.5 hours. 
  • The first vehicle I ever bought with my own money was a motorcycle. 
  • I searched for and found a shark tooth on the shores of a North Carolina beach.
  • I came in 2nd place in the first mountain bike race I’ve ever entered. 
  • I’ve followed bear tracks up a snowy trail on a Virginia mountain.
  • Twice I hit a steel target at 1,000 yards with a bolt action rifle.
  • I got my first tattoo while on vacation in Hawaii. Got my first speeding ticket that same night.
  • I dropped a cantaloupe out of a high rise hotel window into an alley in London. It sounded like a gunshot. 
  • I turned a 1 day visit into a 3 day, 1,100 mile road trip through California.
  • Drove 40 hours with a buddy to camp and mountain bike for 10.
  • I held newborns with AIDS in a Romanian orphanage because others were afraid of contracting the disease and didn't spend time with them.
  • I’ve nearly run over an armadillo while mountain biking in Texas.
  • Soaked my feet in an alpine lake at an altitude of 12,830’ after a week of hiking.
  • Got extremely up close and personal with Bull Sharks (and many others) during a shark feeding dive in Fiji.
  • The 832 photos I’ve shared on Google Maps have a total of 4,705,248 views.
  • Invited by Unsplash.com, I was part of a panel at the SoHo Apple Store that gave a talk on how to take better iPhone photos in front of over 70 people.

*I hate saying "idea starter" but it's true. My goal is to not only start ideas but to complete them.

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 28 April 2016 - 07:35 AM.
Fixed some broken images and links.

• bsanabria, Howardnuth, Ed's Manifesto and 1 other like this

#3 DocGreen

DocGreen

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:09 AM

Hello Gentlemen,Names Rob, Doc works most of the time though. Im a medic in the US Army. Originally from Tennessee, Live in Alaska for now, moving to Texas soon. Im pretty much a military history buff, geardo and everything else that comes with my love of serving in the military. Im always here to help if anyone  needs anything.
  • ArmySF1966 likes this
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

#4 RA09

RA09

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:21 AM

Greetings,My name is Ryan, I live in the Cleveland, OH area and currently work in Cleveland as a Cop for the Housing Authority.  I've been in Law Enforcement for 13 years and currently work both Patrol and SWAT.I enjoy the hell out of "gear issues" and am currently waiting on my 5.11 Light for Life to ship so I can evaluate the newest piece of equipment added to my belt/kit. If there is ever anything I can do to help in the Northern Ohio region, please don't hesitate to ask.
  • ArmySF1966 likes this
Posted Image

#5 Jarhead556

Jarhead556

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

Hello fellow ITS members! My name is Corey Bowlin and I live in Louisville, KY. I am a prior service Marine, I served with 3/2 Lima Co. from 1993 -1996 and 3/2 H&S Co. from 1996 - 1997. I also spent sometime in the KY Army National Guard. I am a gear hound and try to stay up to date with all of the current gear trends. I am an avid outdoors man and enjoy hiking, biking, and anything outside.I look forward to all of the great information that we will access through ITS.Semper Fi!
  • ArmySF1966 likes this
Posted Image"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!" GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

#6 Jones Tactical

Jones Tactical

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

Hi All,Glad to be here.  Custom nylon gear maker out of GA.  Long time shooter, and avid gear head, tactical gear that is.JT

Edited by Jones Tactical, 08 February 2010 - 02:46 PM.

• ArmySF1966 likes this

#7 tritium

tritium

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

Hi guys,Earl here.I'm a Canuck. Former Ontario Provincial Police officer (14 years) and a former Nuclear Response Team sergeant and trainer (3 years) . I'm now a mild mannered college security manager.I shoot IPSC and IDPA and I'm still involved in training police, military and civilians in firearms, tactics and use of force.Like many of you guys, I keep up to date on gear and I enjoy shooting, hunting, fishing, playing sports and being outdoors.  I'm looking forward to hearing and learning from like-minded folks.

Edited by tritium, 08 February 2010 - 02:53 PM.

• ArmySF1966 likes this
Posted Image

#8 Beelzububba

Beelzububba

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:09 AM

Hey Guys,I'm Adam.  I'm a firefighter in SW Ohio.  I'm currently working to complete my paramedic license.  No prior service, but I grew up in a family with a strong military lineage.  I've always had an interest in gear, knives, guns, the outdoors and military history.  Recently, I have been working on refreshing some of my basic self-sustainability and outdoor skills, as baby number one is on the way.  If I can offer any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

"Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill." – W.C. Fields

#9 nqthai

nqthai

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

Hello all,I'm Nate. Probably the youngest of all of you out there. Still at college in TX getting my BA.I love the outdoors and do everything from climbing to hunting. I'm also a nerd. I do computer forensics and security stuff.Overall just glad to be here.

#10 ZGhostRex9

ZGhostRex9

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

Greetings all, my name is Chris and I live in Las Vegas.I spent 4 years as a Radio Operator in the Marine Corps and another 4 years in the Navy as an Aviation Electronics Technician, yea I know that makes me twice as crazy. I now work as a defense contractor here in the Vegas area.Looks like a lot of the same interests apply to me as well Guns, Gear, Gadgets. Looking forward to infromation exchange, I'm sure with the diversity of backgrounds there is a lot of knowldge floating around out there.Too bad I couldn't get in to the SHOT shot this year, I would have liked to meet our admin face to face. Oh well there's always next year. 
  • ArmySF1966 likes this
'Cause all you need to change the world is one good lie and a river of blood" Capt. Price COD MW2n

#11 MuayThai

MuayThai

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Hey all, My name is Jason and I live in NC. I served 5 years as a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne (91-96). I enjoy backpacking, hiking, martial arts, kayaking, and canoeing. Really anything outdoors. I am addicted to gear-knives, flashlights, guns, different backpacks/bags. I like to keep up with all the new gear and gadgets out there. I look forward to learning new things from this site. I joined the plank level today.
  • Alex721 and ArmySF1966 like this
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/PlankOwnerSignature-Ver2.png

Practice makes permanent, not perfect, so do it right.

#12 9chase26

9chase26

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hey guys,Frazier here, deputy sheriff in Fort Collins, CO.  No military service but 14 years in law enforcement.  Some of my duties...K-9 HandlerSWAT team memberTaser instructorGear-headInterests include knives, nylon gear and electronics.Love this site, keep up the good work.Frazier
  • ArmySF1966 likes this

PlankOwnerSignature.png "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire"

#13 TigerDragon

TigerDragon

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

My name is Stefan Johnson.  I served four years in the U.S. Navy from late 1995 to late 1999.  I actually found this site by accident when searching for the "official" source for purchasing a new style of lock picks by raimundo called Monserrate (spelling might be off).  I'm also a fan of Jack Spirko and The Survival Podcast (found him through this site) so it's been a nice chain to follow.  Hobbies include lockpicking/smithing, martial arts, taking care of my family (not a hobby, but it's enjoyable so it fits), unix systems administration (pays the bills), and the list pretty much rolls across the floor from there.I used to love line work as a deck seaman, and couldn't help but comment on the "pet peeve" for the bowline video.  We always called it a "bo-lin" when I was in the Navy, not a "bou line" (to differentiate between the two pronunciations of "bow")  We also called "forecastle" a "focsul,"  boatswain "bosun" and so on.  It was just how things were pronounced.I'm happy to be a paid supporter for ITS and TSP.  I believe in supporting good information, and both sites are chaulk full.
  • ArmySF1966 likes this
Posted Image

#14 BAND-AID

BAND-AID

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hello everyone, My name is Mike and I live in New Jersey. I currently work as an EMT and am currently pursuing a career in Law Enforcement. I'm not sure about you guys but I am very excited for a forum on ITS. I am looking forward to great sources of info from other members and mature conversations, not pissing matches like most forums. My main interests, like many other members, are Guns, Outdoors, Hunting, Fishing, New gear, Gadgets etc. I am very pleased to be able to support ITS and become a Plank Owner.
  • ArmySF1966 likes this
Posted Image"invisible soles leave .308 holes"

#15 TICK

TICK

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

What's going on?I'm here in Nashville, TN and I'm pretty much addicted to anything to do with firearms/military and the gear to go with it.  Didn't serve but I'm pretty much surrounded by friends and family that are former and active.  I enjoy training along side my friends, so I decided to extend my friendship with you guy to see if I could learn more/wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif.  Keep up the great work ITS !!!TICK
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

#16 Norman White

Norman White

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

Hey all,Norm from Central PA here.I am currently a Senior Information Security Officer working for the DoD.  If it's got to do with Network Security or Info-Sec at the location I'm at, my hands are in it.  I've previously worked as an armed patrol sergeant for a security consultant and have worked as an EMT and volunteer firefighter.I love the outdoors and am into backpacking, hiking and camping.  I love the capability to hit a trail and live out of a pack on my back for days on end.I'm also a serious geek.  I'm into gadgets of all kind, iPhone, mac, pc's, hi-tech, lo-tech, you name it.  If it's the latest in gadgets, gear, etc, I'll most likely have it.I hit the gym as much as possible and also like to party a bit, so it's an up/down fight with the weight.  ;)I read everything in sight no matter what the topic and am currently in the middle of about a dozen different books ranging from Albert Einstien to Zombies...Firearms are also a big part of my life and I enjoy teaching my friends and family about firearms, their use and safety as well as sport shooting and collecting.I do tend to be a bit on the paranoid side, but in the information security field, paranoid is good.  
  • crowley_357 likes this
Posted ImageJust because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you…nAn unarmed person is a subject, an armed person is a citizen.nhttp://www.normanomicon.com

#17 loki4606

loki4606

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hey everyone,,, JP here aka Loki.. I am one of your Mods.. Follow the guidelines and act like an adult and we will get along great.11 years Army Infantry , SGT, and going strong. Currently in FDC and heading to Ranger School this yearI am also working for a company that contracts for the .gov …I work with EOD teams now and do a lot of stateside and overseas travel. We do a lot of work for local and Fed side LEO and other areas. I like guns (as we all should) and outdoors and vacations. I do have a son and get to see him as much as I can. I currently live in the Gulf Coast so if anyone is nearby let me know and we can hit the range.Loki/wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_buttkick.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif

Edited by Brockb, 08 February 2010 - 08:02 PM.

• kbenda likes this

#18 one417

one417

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hello all.....I'm Mike.  I'm a LEO for SoCal agency which has emplyed me for the past 23 years.  I'm currently assigned as a supervisor/instructor for our agency's tactics and survival training unit.  I'm constantly learning and trying to make myself more proficient at our crafts.  It's great to be part of a like-minded group that shares information.  I'm interested in everything that will give us the tactical advantage.  Thanks ITS/wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

#19 Teton Traveler

Teton Traveler

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hi, my name is James. I first learned about ITS TAC from The Survival Podcast. I live in Eastern Idaho and am studying mechanical engineering. I enjoy shooting, hunting, and the outdoors. I look forward to being a part of this community and learning more.
  • Chris Anders likes this
Posted Image

#20 mountain.sarge

mountain.sarge

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

Hello everyone, My name is Clint I also learned about ITS from The Survival Podcast. I have been in the military for 18 years, 4 years in the Marine Corps with the 3rd BN 5th Marines and the last 14 in the Army most of that time with the 10th Mountain Division, in the 2nd BN 14th Infantry and later the 2nd BN 22nd Infantry. Now I am with USAREC (damn recruiting command) trying desperately to get back to the Infantry for the last couple of years I have left.  I am also a student at American Military University working toward a degree in Homeland Security, what I am going to do with that after retirement I haven't got a clue, but what the hell its kind of free right.
Posted Image"Without a rifle you are nothing, worthless; you are waiting for death, any minute, any second." – Aron Bielski, as quoted in the book Defiance: The Bielski Partisans by Nechama Tecn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users