• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

At my doorstep at work 4 days ago walks up this beast of a puppy... We suspect Boxer Mastiff mix. The dog is as gentle as can be and we estimate 1-2 years old.

Very well maintained, but missing a collar and chip is making it difficult to find the owner.

We've taken every route we can think of to find the original owner... Craigslist, Facebook (local missing animal site) postings, etc... in all the exposure for this dog would rival a celebrity.

While caring for the dog, waiting for an owner we learn that the dog has had exceptional training, more so than any dog I have ever worked with in my life.

When it walks beside you it is literally on your hip, every 5-10 steps it moves to the opposite side and continues the walk and does the same 5-10 steps later.. right back to the other side.  It was definitely trained to do this because it is very consistent.

It obeys every command with exact precision.... I can't help but think the owner has to be a professional trainer of some sort.

I'm not yet comfortable calling it my dog yet because I have faith the owner will step up; additionally I have 2 kids and I'm a bit nervous about bringing such a big strong dog home that I don't know more about.

Any suggestions/recommendations?  The dog will be rescued, I refuse to let it go to a shelter to eventually be euthanize

10670148_10154596811615431_5077651907953

Attached Files

Edited by DStevenson, 28 September 2014 - 03:37 PM.

• bigfoot likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

Give it some more time like your planning on doing with the flyers up and information out there. Maybe the owner is out of town and somehow the dog got out, or even the dog was stolen and is from somewhere else and ended up fleeing to escape(2 of my wife's old dogs were stolen before). Have you contacted a few vets offices, or if there is one in your area a boxer or mastiff rescue group?

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

I have not contacted a vet directly, we took it to a friend who grooms and boards dogs and she gave me the lowdown on it not having a chip or any tattoos.  

I will call a couple local veterinary clinics today and leave a flyer, thanks.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

Another idea is contacting local animal control and humane society shelters to see if anyone has been inquiring about the missing pup. The suggestion to contact some local vet offices and breed-dedicated rescues is great, too. Without a doubt somebody is looking for this well-trained guy. Heck, there was a dog (with a microchip, no less) in the news the other day that had somehow traveled all the way from PA to OR.

#5 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Your kids would hate that dog, Im certain of it. Ill PM you my address so that you can ship him here.

Such a handsome fellow! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users