13 replies to this topic

#1 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

I've searched the TSA and the FAA web pages but I can't really find any clear cut guide for some items. Has anyone had issues traveling with first aid items or flashlights? I would assume that a normal blowout kit without shears and decompression needle would pass? I've also heard that smaller non-locking blades are permitted on airplanes but again I can't find any supporting information. If this is posted in the wrong area let me know. Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

I would double check with the TSA (call them), but I believ you can carry on the small knives that are apart of a nail grooming kit. That's about the extent.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'm just going to put my knives in the checked baggage. Will the blow out kit cause any problems or delays going through security?

#4 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

I just flew back from Conneticut and my blow out kit passed with no problem. I did remove the decompression needle, but left the shears in. The site states no longer than 4 inches and a sharp point. Med shears don't have a point and aren't considered a weapon

Also my flashlight was not a problem.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#5 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Good to know, thanks.

#6 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

ive not had any issues going through "security" with the ITS EDC Trauma kit or my 6px LED.

They did give me grief over the CRKT Eat'n tool once, apparently it looked like a "knife" <insert eye roll here> This was in Albuquerque

TSA: "sir, do you have any knives in your bag?"

Me: um, no.

TSA: "sir, are you sure?"

Me: yes.

TSA: "we're going to have to search your bag"

Me: ok, but you're not going to find any knives... you will find a spork though

TSA: "ok, but we're still going to have to search your bag"

Me: why?

I receive no answer...as jimmy the dipshit starts rifling through my bag...

Me: you're in the wrong pocket dude... the spork is in here...

TSA: "sir, we still need to go through the whole bag... "

then jimmy the dipshit comes up with the spork ...

TSA: "oh it is a spork, you're free to go"

Me: i wasnt aware i was detained for anything ... and you can put everything back in my bag, please. 

I absolutely LOATHE the tsa.  :mad:

• Cannon likes this

#7 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

I wonder how that looked like a knife on the xray. If it wasn't so far I'd drive but it's cheaper this time to fly.

#8 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

I wonder how that looked like a knife on the xray. If it wasn't so far I'd drive but it's cheaper this time to fly.

I've asked myself that very question... I think it comes down to numerous tsa agents being window licking crayon eaters... that should probably be flipping burgers at McD. 

#9 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

TSA = Those Stupid Assholes....

• mangeface, LongHaul, nroeber78 and 2 others like this

89BccLb.png

#10 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

I've not had to find regs for TSA, as I'm in the UK, but did find UK gov regulations as I didn't want to be in an airport or plane without trauma kit and was fine. I imagine that much of the regulation is based on international agreements so it would be similar.

I flew carry-on with everything pictured in my bag thread, bar the SAK and razor saw. Not even a bag search for me.

Think the lack of obviously available guidance might be tactical on their part, so you can't back up your argument with the agent. If they say it's prohibited, it is.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#11 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

Team,

the last time I flew with only a carry on I ran into this exact situation. my usual pocket EDC is

Pelican AAA flashlight

Chap stick

space pen

flash drive

gerber shard

gerber bear grills scout folding knife

i have a small pelican dry box that i put all my pocket EDC in and stash in a pocket of my carry on bag and i've never had a problem with it BUT i always stash my knives in my Dopp kit in my checked bag. since i didn't have a checked bag and i had heard of the new regs allowing small knives i asked a TSA agent.

The bottom line is, the knife has to be less than 4 inches TOTAL length and CANNOT lock. basically you can carry on a small non-locking Swiss army knife or similar non locking knife. i had to stash my Gerber folder in my car.

The rest of your EDC should be OK. just don't leave it in your pocket when you go thru security.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#12 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Think the lack of obviously available guidance might be tactical on their part, so you can't back up your argument with the agent. If they say it's prohibited, it is.

I hadn't thought of it this way but it makes sense to me. It would also explain why the TSA web page even warns that the info may not be 100% accurate.

#13 MarineFO

MarineFO

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDisneyLand

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:34 PM

I always have a backup knife in my EDC backpack.  I have accidentally forgotten to take out my Benchmade Griptillian (3.45") and flown out of LAX.  I got to my destination and was surprised to find my knife inside. I know I am a dumbass for forgetting but due to this I find the TSA totally inept. Once was a flight to Boston and the other was International to Asia.

#14 danp

danp

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

I always have a backup knife in my EDC backpack.  I have accidentally forgotten to take out my Benchmade Griptillian (3.45") and flown out of LAX.  I got to my destination and was surprised to find my knife inside. I know I am a dumbass for forgetting but due to this I find the TSA totally inept. Once was a flight to Boston and the other was International to Asia.

A friend one mine once flew from PHL to LAX and back with a loaded 1911 magazine. He is a professional photographer and (stupidly, not since) used his camera bag also as a range bag. The magazine slipped under the rigid panel that keeps the bottom of the bag stiff and didn't find it until he returned home.

Roll that one around in your head for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users