40 replies to this topic

#21 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

In addition the obvious DocGKR references, I found the ATK Wound Ballistic Workshop (WBW) data was also very convincing.  There's a lot more WBW results available if you ask the ATK rep.  While it wasn't a lab setting, I found that very fact to be a strength.  Over all the temp, angle of attack, environmental differences across the country you still saw similar results for 9mm vs 40 vs 45. 

Several years ago I wrote the personally-owned weapons policy for the department I worked for, including ammo recommendations.  HST and Gold Dot were consistent performers and still are.  I prefer the HST 124gr +P if I can get it.  .223 rifle ammo was a revelation; the Win Ranger load we were using was worthless against auto glass.

Yeah, some of you boogers snatched up the last 1k quantities of P9HST1 I was watching at SGAmmo.

One interesting comment was the poly component of the Hornady CD could possibly separate in body mass and later cause secondary infections.  There is/was no way to detect its location using normal hospital imaging.

#22 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

Good reading, thanks for the info! I'm considering a 9mm now.

#23 Modern-Musket

Modern-Musket

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

How about the .45 GAP that I carry on-duty??!!

Great stopping power but very costly to practice with due to the lack of users!!! 

C'mon guys...help a brother out rofl

Work safe or be safe everyone!

#24 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:02 AM

All 9mm here as well. I love the 115 grn Barnes Tac XP bullet. My carry ammo is ASYM SDX +P.

#25 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

I've opted to go back to my 9mm for my EDC and chose some 147gr JHP from Remington (mostly cause its what I had) 

#26 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

I've opted to go back to my 9mm for my EDC and chose some 147gr JHP from Remington (mostly cause its what I had)

How does it shoot POA/POI?

Paul Howe demo'd some 147gr live during a Panteao session and found it had a significantly different POI compared to his usual ammo.

Edited by schüler, 22 November 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#27 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

ive not see any difference while shooting it... probably because i was shooting at a steel plate. The range I go too has various sized steel plates at 10, 15 and 25 yards. 

#28 MR.RED

MR.RED

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

9mm all way. Carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense 137g. Mostly because the LG I visit has them in the 100rd boxes.

#29 dmcx

dmcx

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

I have a 4th gen Glock 22. I've heard that a 9mm wolf barrel is an option for this we on. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

#30 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

I have a 4th gen Glock 22. I've heard that a 9mm wolf barrel is an option for this we on. Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this?

You can buy a conversion barrel and new magazines that can be a great option now that Magpul is offering full size block magazines this might even be an economical option. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#31 dmcx

dmcx

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:27 AM

Looks like my reply last night didn't post. Thanks Salty, that's kinda why I'm looking at this option,can't really afford another pistol right now. Looks like the reviews on this site are mostly favorable.

http://www.midwayusa...stainless-steel 

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it here.

#32 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Looks like my reply last night didn't post. Thanks Salty, that's kinda why I'm looking at this option,can't really afford another pistol right now. Looks like the reviews on this site are mostly favorable.

http://www.midwayusa...stainless-steel

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with it here.

I have two friend here that use them all the time and neither has had any issues. 

#33 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

I have Glock models 35 and 24 which are born .40S&W. I have and use Lone Wolf "UN-ported" 9mm barrels for cheaper practice. Never any problems.

• dmcx likes this

#34 dmcx

dmcx

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 34 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks guys. Think I'll order one this weekend.

#35 MIDGAPATRIOT

MIDGAPATRIOT

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

I carry 124gr Winchester Ranger T-Series in my G19. I'm also thinking swapping everything over to 9mm.

#36 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

I have Glock models 35 and 24 which are born .40S&W. I have and use Lone Wolf "UN-ported" 9mm barrels for cheaper practice. Never any problems.

That Glock 24 is a damn unicorn lol

• mangeface likes this

#37 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thanks guys. Think I'll order one this weekend.

Given the different case size, do you intend to do anything about the extractor and ejector?

If it's just a plinker barrel, then maybe not an issue.

#38 Panhandle Rancher

Panhandle Rancher

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

My opinion is that the FBI adopted the 9mm as it is easier for the female agents to shoot with fewer weak wrist related jams. This may be peculiar to the FBI due to their profligate ammunition use during training. Certain of their special purpose teams still use the venerable .45 acp.

Most of my friends who have seen the elephant in combat with the 9mm moved shortly to a .45 acp platform. This round works well with suppressors. Hydra Shok is one of the best out there.

Marksmanship is everything with more and more wearing body armor, a round or two to the head is final. With headshot, caliber is of course less an issue. 

One should never forget the deleterious effect of temperature on cartridge performance. Having worked in the hot southwest, I found that a even a month storage inside a vehicle in the summer would seriously degrade ammunition performance. For departments shooting annual qualifications, that is a long time between recycling duty ammunition. In such a situation, it is easy to see how a lower than normal velocity bullet might simply give the hard headed a ringing headache - which of course is a good reason to focus facing head shots to the mouth. 

My views,

Panhandle Rancher

#39 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

These caliber debates are always interesting, with such a wide selection to choose from.

I have been convinced by this group here (ITS that is) with the supporting information from FBI studies etc to pursue a double stack 9mm as a future EDC in place of my current compact 1911 45acp.  

I had always rather looked down on the "little" calibers as it seems like a heavier weight projectile should result in more damage.  It may be a slow transition as I am quite confident in my 1911, its reliability and accuracy are outstanding, as well as my comfort with the platform.  It will take some time to develop a similar trusting relationship with a "plastic" 9mm..  I've put a few k rounds downrange with the 1911 and only one "jam".. .a failure to extract, pretty early on, after which I basically rebuilt the gun and nary a problem since.

It's truly baffling how many "good" options there are both in quality guns, good calibers, and good projectile packages.. 

#40 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:13 PM

My opinion is that the FBI adopted the 9mm as it is easier for the female agents to shoot with fewer weak wrist related jams.

One should never forget the deleterious effect of temperature on cartridge performance...

FBI based it on a lot more than that. If you want to read up on 9mm vs 40 vs 45, lemme kno.

As for heat effect on ammo, you've got other issues if a month in the summer heat greatly affects velocity.  I've shot a ton of duty ammo that has spent an entire Texas aummer in a car.  Let alone mil ammo in dumps across the ME and S Asia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users