#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

Team,

I posted a little while ago that Benchmade has re-released the Stryker in an Axis Lock configuration. Having been a fan of the Stryker since I bought the original +10 years ago (and subsequently loosing it) I was very happy to see them bring it back out. I ordered and received my new Stryker this week and after working with it, here is the review. I will do quite a bit of comparison between the old and new configurations.

Here is a good pic of the original Stryker Config.

18030BM_stryker.jpg

New Stryker

2014-10-26%2010.19.00.jpg

2014-10-26%2010.19.07.jpg

2014-10-26%2010.19.21.jpg

Blade and Opening System

The Blade profile is almost exactly the same as the old Stryker. It is a good, strong, thick modified Tanto style blade. The tip profile is a little sharper than a traditional Tanto. I ordered the satin finish blade with partial serrations, which is what my first Stryker had. The serrations are the same as on all BM knives.

There is a small notch behind the serrations on the new knife where it meets the handle section, rather than the smooth transition on the old knife. i haven't had a problem with it yet, but i can see it getting hung on something.

One BIG thing i was disappointed with was BM went with an Ambi stud for the opening system rather than the "Emerson" style disk. The stud works just fine and is located in a position that is easy to find.

The top side of the knife above the stud has a small field of traction ridges which seems a little redundant because of the top profile of the handle scales. Like the bottom of the knife there is no smooth transition between blade and handle like on the original. On the original knife these traction ridges we in contact with the thumb when using the knife with a top thumb grip. on the new knife the thumb naturally rests on the slight upcurve at the blade end of the handle. There are some traction notches in the liner in this upcurve.

Handle

The original Stryker had a G-10 handle with a very subtle texture and a deep groove before the opening disk. The new handle scales are still G-10 but with a much more aggressive texture and a shallower groove before the opening stud. I haven't had an issue opening the knife with the new groove, but i haven't tried opening it with gloves on. The texture reminds me of shark skin, and i can see this knife being a pocket eater.

One of my biggest complaints with the new knife is the profile of the handle. It almost seems like they took the Stryker blade, added material onto the back of it, and plunked it into a handle that they already have. If taken separately the blade would be superb, and so would the handle, but together they just don't seem to flow together as well as the original.

On the back side the pocket clip is ambi and set up for a tip up (when folded) carry.

Locking Mechinism

This is where the new Stryker really shines. The old knife used a liner lock and the locking leaf put a considerable amount of force on the blade leaf making the knife stiff to open. it wasn't an issue if you were tying to open the knife with constant pressure on the disk, but it wasn't a "flick open" knife. The Axis lock puts so little force on the blade it can be opened with the smallest push on the opening stud. The movement of the blade is so fluid that the blade can be opened using the Axis lock alone with a twitch of the wrist if you slide the Axis leaver back, almost like and Automatic. The knife can be closed the same way

Links to Video's below;

https://dl.dropboxus...26 14.20.04.mp4

https://dl.dropboxus...26 14.20.27.mp4

Overall Review

Overall I am very happy with the new Stryker Axis. I've spent the last 10 years buying knife after knife looking for a replacement for the original to no avail. Opening the box and pulling out the new Stryker was kinda like coming home. My only real complaint is the mismatch between the handle and the blade, and is probably attributable more to nostalgia than an actual deficit in the knife.  If anyone is looking for a solid tanto blade knife with Benchmade quality you can't do much better than the new Stryker Axis.

La'

Edited by redsol1, 26 October 2014 - 10:07 AM.

• mangeface, DStevenson, Davis and 1 other like this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

Good looking knife, thanks for the review!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 stoddy9311

stoddy9311

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

Good review

I am a self confessed knife nut.....but don't own a benchmade..yet!

need to get on that!

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

I have an old auto Stryker laying around here somewhere, great knives but I'm not a fan of the all aluminum body, and the release button was always a little small for my liking. I love the axis lock, and I'm glad to see they finally put it in the striker, this knife seems like a winner. You wouldn't happen to know how the thickness compares to the auto version would you?

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#5 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

I have an old auto Stryker laying around here somewhere, great knives but I'm not a fan of the all aluminum body, and the release button was always a little small for my liking. I love the axis lock, and I'm glad to see they finally put it in the striker, this knife seems like a winner. You wouldn't happen to know how the thickness compares to the auto version would you?

Spence,

can't comment on the Auto version, as i don't have one. The new Stryker is right at 1/2" think from scale to scale, not counting the pocket clip.

I do agree with you on the Aluminum body on the Auto. That's the main reason i didn't get one when i picked up my Infidel. It has G-10 scales.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#6 aphat426

aphat426

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

Just picked up one of these last week. They had free laser engraving there so I had a little of that done as well. So far I like the knife but I kind of liked the positive lock action of my other benchmade a little better. It would lock closed so you couldn't accidently open it when it was closed.  

Attached Files

• EMSWxSAR likes this

NOBODY CARES-WORK HARDER

#7 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

Just picked up one of these last week. They had free laser engraving there so I had a little of that done as well. So far I like the knife but I kind of liked the positive lock action of my other benchmade a little better. It would lock closed so you couldn't accidently open it when it was closed.  

Aphat426,

nice knife. How do you like the drop point?

La'

Posted Image

#8 aphat426

aphat426

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

So far so good. I have always been a bigger fan of tanto blades but I like this one. The didn't have the other blade style on hand when I got this one. I just have to remember to be a little more cautious when using this near anything that could leak out blood. Love the texture of the handle as well, very grippy even when using it with gloves. It hasn't opened and stabbed me in the thigh yet so that's a plus.

NOBODY CARES-WORK HARDER

#9 TexCzech

TexCzech

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouth , Tx

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

I had the original version and it left a bad impression on me as far as benchmades go . I found it very difficult to open sometimes expecially if my finger was wet or a little pruned from the water . Looks like the they might of fixed that by actually changing to a thumbstud . I've become a Spyderco junkie so I tend to be slightly biased . Benchmades are good knifes and are always getting better . Thanks for the nice review .
  • leosavage likes this

#10 MIDGAPATRIOT

MIDGAPATRIOT

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:04 PM

I'm hoping they come out with an auto axis Stryker. I have an auto axis Adamas and love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users