6 replies to this topic

#1 AKFiremedic

AKFiremedic

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:08 PM

I'm getting ready to buy a new set of boots. What I'm looking is something more for everyday wear. Not really for hiking or anything. I live in Alaska and it's almost winter so that means snow, lots of snow. So I want something waterproof and mid top. I want something a little lighter than duty boots. I'm thinking Solomon trail running style or Lowa Zephyrs. I've owned two pairs of Solomons and I like them. what do you guys like?  

CrewLeaderSignature_zps95b560b9.png

#2 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

In winter I'm usually in my lowa super camp (non gore tex), warm and supportive.

I'm liking that a lot of good boots are being released in a dark brown now, due to the British military switch to MTP (modded multicam).

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, I need it to catch on with Belleville... I am a 12.5 and most boots just don't fit quite right... Belleville makes a ton of half sizes and works really well.

89BccLb.png

#4 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:19 PM

I have a pair of Merrell Perimeter leather hiking boots that have been my every-day footwear for 2-3 years and they've held up great. We don't get quite as much snow here in Connecticut as you do in Alaska but I think these would do just fine if they weren't discontinued. The build quality on Merrell's is great so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another pair, though from what I have heard/read about Lowa I would definitely give them a try (Renegade or Hudson LL/GTX, looking at their website, as I'm a sucker for dark brown all-leather build and look).

#5 AKFiremedic

AKFiremedic

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

I own a pair of Lowa renagades right now. They are my hiking boot. I'm looking for something a little more flexible and lighter weight. That's why I was looking at a few different types of Solomons. I'm liking the, X Ultra Mid GTX in black. 

#6 AKFiremedic

AKFiremedic

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:47 PM

well... Just ordered a pair of Solomons. XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 GTX. Got them for $113.00.. That seems like a good price. I'll let you guys know how they are when I get them in.  :D

#7 aphat426

aphat426

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

I can't say enough good things about the Danner RAT Temperate boots I wear. I have some for work and home. I wear the every day and I'm walking for usually 7 hours or so a day. They have a couple different options like steel toe, hot weather with drainage holes in the arch and Goretex waterproof. I only have experience the the latter. I'm going to do a review here as soon as I possibly can. Great soles, waterproof, and look good in my opinion, my wife may disagree lol. They aren't cheap but if you sign up for "the break room", Danner's email service they can be had a couple times a year for a great price. Or just hit up eBay.

They are the same basic design as the Bates ones but built WAY better. You can hit up most any surplus store and try on the bates ones to get a feel for the fit but don't buy them. They had a lot of QC issues with them.

NOBODY CARES-WORK HARDER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users