• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

I haven't noticed any discomfort with non-gutted paracord laces either, at least with my old, really-broken-in work boots.

#22 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Does paracord lose anything after getting wet?

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#23 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

Good info, I know that trying to run around in boots you've just jumped into is difficult, I always wonder about long treks in unlaced boots any time someone recommends using your boot laces for something.

I've launched shoes that way :lol:

But just adding an extra couple feet and tying them up partially if you need the stuff is a good idea that never occurred to me. Another mindset problem, clearly!

#24 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:22 PM

Well, I tried it. Got them good and wet and walked till they dried. Mostly. I didn't notice anything. So I thought maybe that was because I was still wearing them.

Soooo... I got my laces out of my Columbia's, soaked them for a couple minutes, then relaced them. Put the shoes on, tied them snug, and waited. I sat for an hour. Nothing. Hour and a half. Nothing. Now they were starting to dry out. No difference that I could tell.

Sooooo.... I got them good and wet again and let them dry by the wood stove. About three hours later, I tried them on. The entire boot felt a bit snug, but loosened up as I put them on. I guess from the heat of the stove. It gets pretty damn hot.

Pretty unscientifical. But that's my observations.

As for if the 550 cord loses tensile strength when wet, I have no clue. I've had mine wet and dry several times over the year these current ones have been in there. Seem ok, but I really don't know. I'll have to do a better test of that. Maybe next week unless it's been done before and someone knows already.

#25 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

Davis, 

I'm curious as to why they're deconstructed?  Why not just use the real deal?  I do.  In fact, I've got about 2.5 extra feet of it that gets tied/braided and tucked up into my bloused pants (work pants get bloused).  A little less for my off duty boots as it's harder to manage that much extra cordage.  

[...]

Soooo, all that just to ask, why gut the cord for laces?

Well my deconstructed/gutted paracord laces made for some good posts and discussion over the past few days. I apologize that it took me a while to post back on this one... I was out of town for Thanksgiving and was not keeping up on here... I was busy eating turkey and shooting guns and trying to stay warm up in the Black Hills of SD. 

Anyway... to the laces; the only reason I gut the cords is that I like the way they lace and tie better than if they have the core strands in them and that is pretty much all there is to it. I have tried both but I feel like I can get a tighter and more flat lace as well as a more snug knot if I empty them out.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#26 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:43 AM

As for if the 550 cord loses tensile strength when wet, I have no clue. I've had mine wet and dry several times over the year these current ones have been in there. Seem ok, but I really don't know. I'll have to do a better test of that. Maybe next week unless it's been done before and someone knows already.

When i get back to the office on Monday I'll pull the Mil-Spec on 550 and get you an answer. There are some benefits of working for a military manufacturer. :headbang:

La'

• MightyP likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#27 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Anyway... to the laces; the only reason I gut the cords is that I like the way they lace and tie better than if they have the core strands in them and that is pretty much all there is to it. I have tried both but I feel like I can get a tighter and more flat lace as well as a more snug knot if I empty them out.

That's pretty funny right there. But I guess we're all gonna learn a bit more about paracord for it!
  • Davis likes this

#28 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

When i get back to the office on Monday I'll pull the Mil-Spec on 550 and get you an answer. There are some benefits of working for a military manufacturer. :headbang:

La'

That would be much appreciated. I didn't even know I wanted to know more about paracord before this thread. Haha
  • Davis, MightyP and EMSWxSAR like this

#29 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

I didn't even know I wanted to know more about paracord before this thread. Haha

Right there with ya'

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#30 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

When i get back to the office on Monday I'll pull the Mil-Spec on 550 and get you an answer.

Any update on this? No rush, just curious.

#31 matticus

matticus

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Just from my opinion and use, I always have paracord on me, as I always find uses for it. Especially while camping and hiking. Use it for tying shelters down, use it for repairs, holding gear onto your pack, holding gear down and equipment on the truck while in the field, make shift belts, make shift boot laces. I've used it for everything. I usually wrap about 20 feet gutted and ungutted to chemlights and keep them in my pack. 

#32 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

Any update on this? No rush, just curious.

OK. first off i have to say, I HATE reading mil-specs.

i pulled the spec and there isn't anything in the Mil-C-5040 spec about wet strength. there is total tensile strength, but nothing about wet tensile. There is an ASTM test method stated for tensile, so i'll need to pull that and see if there is a wet test in that one.

Sheesh.

La'

• MightyP likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#33 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for looking. It's not a huge deal if it's a pain in the ass to look up

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paracord, bracelet, survival

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users