9 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:22 PM

So I had reason to wear my suit the other day and discovered my pistol printed like crazy. Printed more than my T-shirts, in fact. It's a lightweight, wool suit I got for hot weather in FL, so it's relatively thin. I really like the suit and wear it maybe twice a year, but haven't come up with a good way to carry while wearing it. My LCP doesn't print too bad at the 4-5 o'clock position, but that seems ridiculous in a suit. I was thinking a patch of thicker material around the 3 o'clock position would be cool, but not sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions from the local experts who perhaps wear a suit more than twice a year?

Thanks

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

You might take a look at the holster and belt combo you are using. I've spent some time working in corporate security and carried OWB under a suit coat ( not a very thin coat but not very heavy either ) and didn't have any major printing issues. You might adjust the cant of the holster if you can or consider the way your jacket is tailored and the color. If you're only wearing it twice a year it might not be worth to much trouble. Another thing to note here is how bad printing will appear to you vs for it appears to others. It's surprising how little other people notice. 

#3 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Holster/belt is the key.

I carry a 1911 IWB in my suit when I have to wear it.  Holster is a kelley gunleather similar to a milt sparks vm2.

The holster alone is great, but still only does so much with a flimsy dress belt.

I use my don hume buckleless 1.5" inner duty belt and it lets the holster really pull the grip into my body.  Conceals under the coat just fine. 

If I know I'll have to take the coat off (and usually don't), I will carry tucked with the same belt in a CTAC.  I have to blouse the shirt slightly, which looks terrible but whatever.

#4 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Call around tailors in your area, and see if any have experience with this. If you have a professional affiliation here, ask around to see if anyone in that group (such as a detective, or corporate security) can recommend a tailor who has worked on this. Try the small places--Men's Wearhouse and the like will use tailors who work on volume in the smaller sewing work. You need a serious person.
  • SacRyan likes this

#5 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks, all. Could be the holster, I suppose. I generally prefer kydex-type holsters, but maybe a leather holster would be a better option here. Just surprises me that a weapon prints more with a suit jacket than a t-shirt. I'll also ask around about a tailor. There has to be someone in the area with some experience.

• Armitage12 likes this

ITSSignature2.png

#6 Whiskey Pappa Tango

Whiskey Pappa Tango

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

I carry the S&W Shield .40 cal daily in a suit. Kydex "Deep cover" holster from PJ Holsters can be positioned anywhere from 4:00 to 6:00 easily. 2:00 with suit buttoned. Minimal printing. 

#7 joecapps1988

joecapps1988

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Holster/belt is the key.

+1 on this I noticed a huge difference with a sturdy belt and a good holster. I've carried a full frame 1911, glock 22 and a glock 19. Without knowing anything about the gear you're using I'd also say this is the best place to start. 

• nroeber78 likes this

#8 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

5.11 1.5" carry belt with a Fobus OWB holster at first. Ended with the same belt and the Alabama Holster Hooker IWB holster.

ITSSignature2.png

#9 creding

creding

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

+1 armatige12. A good tailor can hide anything, and will be a lot cheaper than a new holster. Plus, you'll probably look better too.
  • Armitage12 likes this

#10 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

Reference my post from September:

The Art of Manliness - The Stylish Man's Guide to Concealed Carry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users