Photo

Any NRA Certified Firearms Instructors Here?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Modern-Musket

Modern-Musket

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

Please feel free to reply and list your disciplines as you currently have them.

Edited by Modern-Musket, 15 November 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#2 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

I am an NRA certified basic pistol instructor. However I dont teach it, nor do I intend to. Was just a step needed to get instructor insurance.

#3 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'm a NRA Certified Rifle Instructor and Range Safety Officer - I'm in the same boat with Tremis, I dont instruct and no plans too. It was just needed when my son was in the scouts and we wanted to do the rifle badge

#4 Modern-Musket

Modern-Musket

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

No need to instruct (but by virtue of your "training" within the BSA for merit badges you actually did...) thanks for posting.

#5 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:35 AM

I got a few certs for the insurance as well when I assisted in classes.

Posted Image

#6 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

I have a NRA LE instructor card. It's in Patrol Rifle. I am also a RSO.

I did the school as a treat for myself as it sounded like a good thing. It was a 44 hour class. I wasn't thinking about teaching, but after the class I had a few friends ask, and now, I run classes several times a year.
  • Davis and Jersey0311 like this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#7 TDunn

TDunn

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 November 2014 - 07:21 PM

I have NRA instructor credentials in Basic Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, and Personal Protection in the Home

I dont actively teach NRA courses though.  The material is rigid and outdated for everything except basic marksmanship and firearms safety.  Now with the online training they want to offer, it will become more so.

• tremis likes this
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 firefighter238

firefighter238

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 39 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

NRA Basic Pistol I-II. Currently teaching classes for CCW as well as several other "Warfighter" type classes as well as EMS

2gQSCj5.png

#9 Modern-Musket

Modern-Musket

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:51 AM

Our instructional offerings are intentionally basic.....we want to ensure that "new" and perhaps a few "seasoned" folks who may have not handled a firearm for several years learn the basic rules of safe firearm handling.  It is also meant to be a "feeder" system for those who seek out a more advanced style of training.

Need to crawl before one can walk.....

It's a great place to start......

Thanks to everyone who trains under whatever certification. 

I hold them from Brownells, MagPul Dynamics, Progressive Force Concepts, USCCA and various LE certifications....in addition to being the Chairman of the NRA's Education and Training Committee, a Training Counselor and Multi-disciplined certified.

Should anyone have a question or need a thing from the NRA....please feel free to reach out.

Train them well brothers!

Edited by Modern-Musket, 03 December 2014 - 05:53 AM.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#10 cjwise5

cjwise5

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

RSO, Certified pistol, Inside the Home, and Outside the Home. 

Owner 2A Training Group and Kingdom Shield http://www.2atraininggroup.com

#11 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:25 PM

Sorry if this derails the thread but I was recently looking at the NRA classes, and also considered looking into becoming an instructor down the road sometime.

I grew up around guns, and honestly don't remember a time I wasn't shooting.. got my first BB at 4 or 5, was shooting 38spcl, and 22 about that age.  Got my first 22 rifle at 9, started hunting (antelope) around 13 with a 30-06, hand-loading around that time, etc and so on.

I've done basic "gunsmithing" work on 1911's, trigger job etc.

I consider myself pretty adept with gun operation, but I've never taken an actual class, all of my "training" was from dad and grandfather.  However I feel like there's always more to learn.

Would a basic course be a good idea, or are those really intended for someone who's barely held a gun before?

What about the other courses?

#12 cjwise5

cjwise5

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

Sorry if this derails the thread but I was recently looking at the NRA classes, and also considered looking into becoming an instructor down the road sometime.

I grew up around guns, and honestly don't remember a time I wasn't shooting.. got my first BB at 4 or 5, was shooting 38spcl, and 22 about that age.  Got my first 22 rifle at 9, started hunting (antelope) around 13 with a 30-06, hand-loading around that time, etc and so on.

I've done basic "gunsmithing" work on 1911's, trigger job etc.

I consider myself pretty adept with gun operation, but I've never taken an actual class, all of my "training" was from dad and grandfather.  However I feel like there's always more to learn.

Would a basic course be a good idea, or are those really intended for someone who's barely held a gun before?

What about the other courses?

Personally I would doubt you need to attend a First Steps or Basic Pistol course through the NRA, but I have found that the skills learned in a Personal Protection Inside the Home or Pers Prot Outside the Home course are more than most "experienced" shooters have ever done. They are geared more toward the concealed carry crowd and are skill intensive. That is to say they are above and beyond the basic fundamentals of safety, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger press, and follow through. 

I think any average Joe would benefit from one of the NRA's personal protection courses, but that being said, they pale in comparison to professional training from instructors like Rob Pincus or from companies like Thunder Ranch and the like.  

• mackguy likes this
Owner 2A Training Group and Kingdom Shield http://www.2atraininggroup.com

#13 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the response... I'd love to do one of the "big name" trainings, but when you start to add in travel and such it starts to add up.  NRA usually has local ones.  Might be looking into something, but not sure yet.  

#14 rottenit

rottenit

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in MN thats not cool

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Just got basic pistol and personal protection in the home!

#15 IrishTornado540

IrishTornado540

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

Hey new here but I figured I would jump in. NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH and PPOTH instructor. As well as various LEO instructor certs for firearms, less lethal and use of force.

#16 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

certified Firearms instructor and Range Safety Officer.  Though I've let them lapse.  Been out of range instruction for a while. 

#17 MarcMcD

MarcMcD

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOKC Metro

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

NRA Pistol

NRA Rifle

NRA Shotgun

NRA Range Safety Officer

I have these for my part time job.  want to get PPITH --PPOTH from what I have read above.  I would love for NRA to expand their course offerings to something more real world.

I dislike their abhorrence of the word weapon...  yes it is a firearm- but it is primarily used as a weapon.  damn the PC police

I have taken pistol skills training with a local instructor, whom is also a friend.  Quality class.  

• MightyP likes this

#18 Mr. Greene

Mr. Greene

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts
  • Locationaz

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

I have my certs in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, and Home firearm safety, had to have it for the AZ CCW instructor requirements . I went thru the "Refuse to Be A Victim" Instructor class but dont really care for the premise of it, basically teaching people to be alert but youre not suppose to broach the subject of arming yourself or discuss guns at all. so I never renewed that one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users