We talk a lot about surviving the end of the world on here, but what kind of scenarios is everyone really considering? It’s been mentioned many times that bugging out is only useful if you have a place to bug out to, can get there and it’s not overrun when you do arrive. Those of you with families, what are your plans? I have a wife, 5 year old and newborn. If I can’t use a vehicle, we’re not realistically going anywhere. So I’ve been working on shelter in place options. I’m looking for your thoughts on how to go about it and any items/gear you might suggest that I probably haven’t thought of. Figure I have the basics down: decent supply of food, water, self-defense, generator, etc, but may have forgotten something like a guide on edible plants in the area.
Below is a list of SHTF scenarios I came up with and how I think I’d respond.
- Major hurricane: Plenty of warning, evacuate and return a week or two later. No major survival skills needed here.
- Major earthquake: This isn’t likely in the Midwest, but would be hard to deal with. Roads are likely to be impassable and my house may not be livable.
- Protests turn into pointless riots: Kind of like a hurricane, you should be able to get out of town before disaster strikes as long as you’re moderately prepared. The question here is do you go or do you stay and defend the neighborhood with your neighbors?
- Disease outbreak: A lot of variables here. In general, I’m going to shelter in place. Water and electricity should work as long as the quarantine isn’t more than 4-6 weeks. If it goes longer than that, looters would likely be the next threat.
- Terrorist attack – direct fire: This seems like more of an EDC thing unless something crazy happens like a homegrown version of ISIS. If I can’t drive out of the threat area before they arrive, I guess I’m just killing as many as I can before I go…
- Terrorist attack – IEDs: Unless this goes on for days and weeks on end, I park my butt at home with my family.
- Terrorist attack – dirty bomb: Good time to go see grandma and grandpa in the country.
- Nuclear war: If the roads are passable, I’m loading up the car and going to family out of the area. Otherwise, I move the family to where the radiation isn’t going to get us.
- Giant asteroid hits earth: Uhh… I don’t actually have a legit plan for this.
- Zombie outbreak: Or this… Shelter in place while looking for a viable group to join up with.
- Alien invasion: Pray Will Smith’s attack on the mother ship is successful? Join whatever resistance there is?
- Dinosaurs attack: If the world must end, this is what I’m really hoping for!
- Yellowstone Volcano erupts: Pretty sure we’re all just f***** if this happens
The last 6 are crazy extreme, but I think it's a worthwhile exercise. Anyone with young kids want to weigh in?