We talk a lot about surviving the end of the world on here, but what kind of scenarios is everyone really considering? Itâ€™s been mentioned many times that bugging out is only useful if you have a place to bug out to, can get there and itâ€™s not overrun when you do arrive. Those of you with families, what are your plans? I have a wife, 5 year old and newborn. If I canâ€™t use a vehicle, weâ€™re not realistically going anywhere. So Iâ€™ve been working on shelter in place options. Iâ€™m looking for your thoughts on how to go about it and any items/gear you might suggest that I probably havenâ€™t thought of. Figure I have the basics down: decent supply of food, water, self-defense, generator, etc, but may have forgotten something like a guide on edible plants in the area.
Below is a list of SHTF scenarios I came up with and how I think Iâ€™d respond.
- Major hurricane: Plenty of warning, evacuate and return a week or two later. No major survival skills needed here.
- Major earthquake: This isnâ€™t likely in the Midwest, but would be hard to deal with. Roads are likely to be impassable and my house may not be livable.
- Protests turn into pointless riots: Kind of like a hurricane, you should be able to get out of town before disaster strikes as long as youâ€™re moderately prepared. The question here is do you go or do you stay and defend the neighborhood with your neighbors?
- Disease outbreak: A lot of variables here. In general, Iâ€™m going to shelter in place. Water and electricity should work as long as the quarantine isnâ€™t more than 4-6 weeks. If it goes longer than that, looters would likely be the next threat.
- Terrorist attack â€“ direct fire: This seems like more of an EDC thing unless something crazy happens like a homegrown version of ISIS. If I canâ€™t drive out of the threat area before they arrive, I guess Iâ€™m just killing as many as I can before I goâ€¦
- Terrorist attack â€“ IEDs: Unless this goes on for days and weeks on end, I park my butt at home with my family.
- Terrorist attack â€“ dirty bomb: Good time to go see grandma and grandpa in the country.
- Nuclear war: If the roads are passable, Iâ€™m loading up the car and going to family out of the area. Otherwise, I move the family to where the radiation isnâ€™t going to get us.
- Giant asteroid hits earth: Uhhâ€¦ I donâ€™t actually have a legit plan for this.
- Zombie outbreak: Or thisâ€¦ Shelter in place while looking for a viable group to join up with.
- Alien invasion: Pray Will Smithâ€™s attack on the mother ship is successful? Join whatever resistance there is?
- Dinosaurs attack: If the world must end, this is what Iâ€™m really hoping for!
- Yellowstone Volcano erupts: Pretty sure weâ€™re all just f***** if this happens
The last 6 are crazy extreme, but I think it's a worthwhile exercise. Anyone with young kids want to weigh in?