13 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

We talk a lot about surviving the end of the world on here, but what kind of scenarios is everyone really considering? It’s been mentioned many times that bugging out is only useful if you have a place to bug out to, can get there and it’s not overrun when you do arrive. Those of you with families, what are your plans? I have a wife, 5 year old and newborn.  If I can’t use a vehicle, we’re not realistically going anywhere. So I’ve been working on shelter in place options. I’m looking for your thoughts on how to go about it and any items/gear you might suggest that I probably haven’t thought of. Figure I have the basics down:  decent supply of food, water, self-defense, generator, etc, but may have forgotten something like a guide on edible plants in the area.

Below is a list of SHTF scenarios I came up with and how I think I’d respond.

Major hurricane:  Plenty of warning, evacuate and return a week or two later. No major survival skills needed here.

Major earthquake:  This isn’t likely in the Midwest, but would be hard to deal with. Roads are likely to be impassable and my house may not be livable.

Protests turn into pointless riots:  Kind of like a hurricane, you should be able to get out of town before disaster strikes as long as you’re moderately prepared. The question here is do you go or do you stay and defend the neighborhood with your neighbors?

Disease outbreak:  A lot of variables here. In general, I’m going to shelter in place. Water and electricity should work as long as the quarantine isn’t more than 4-6 weeks. If it goes longer than that, looters would likely be the next threat.

- Terrorist attack – direct fire:  This seems like more of an EDC thing unless something crazy happens like a homegrown version of ISIS. If I can’t drive out of the threat area before they arrive, I guess I’m just killing as many as I can before I go…

- Terrorist attack – IEDs:  Unless this goes on for days and weeks on end, I park my butt at home with my family.

- Terrorist attack – dirty bomb:  Good time to go see grandma and grandpa in the country.

- Nuclear war:  If the roads are passable, I’m loading up the car and going to family out of the area. Otherwise, I move the family to where the radiation isn’t going to get us.

- Giant asteroid hits earth:  Uhh… I don’t actually have a legit plan for this.

- Zombie outbreak:  Or this… Shelter in place while looking for a viable group to join up with.

- Alien invasion:  Pray Will Smith’s attack on the mother ship is successful? Join whatever resistance there is?

- Dinosaurs attack: If the world must end, this is what I’m really hoping for!

- Yellowstone Volcano erupts:  Pretty sure we’re all just f***** if this happens

The last 6 are crazy extreme, but I think it's a worthwhile exercise. Anyone with young kids want to weigh in?

• PsychoFish, SKD_Tactical and EMSWxSAR like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:29 PM

Ditch your family and make another one when it's over.
  • SKD_Tactical and mangeface like this

#3 Darth_BeZee

Darth_BeZee

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:51 PM

I can't barely even take care of myself, let alone a family. I'm gunna pull a (sighted) Denzel in The Book of Eli and roll solo  

Spelling or Grammar errors brought to you by alcohol or phone apps

#4 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

I fall in the group of "stay flexible." Don't tie yourself down to a bug in or bug out plan, there is no one answer unless you have a great 200 acre ranch in Switzerland, Mexico, Tennessee AND England. If so, then can I care for the horses at one of them please???

But seriously, get some supplies, make them moveable/loadable/manageable (maybe you busted your leg and your wife is forced to load up now). No point in building up a great stockpile to bug in, if I can toss flares on your roof to burn you out. Remember, I don't care about you, I hate you, and you wouldn't trade/share with me yesterday. Something to think about,

BTW, I do love you.
  • spenceman, SKD_Tactical, SacRyan and 5 others like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#5 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:44 AM

Ditch your family and make another one when it's over.

I'll go ahead and file that under "Shit my wife better not find out about or I'll die a slow, painful death long before the world ends."

BTW, I do love you.

Love you too, Fish.

EDITED FOR GRAMMAR.

Edited by MightyP, 01 December 2014 - 07:41 AM.

• spenceman, DieselD and EMSWxSAR like this

ITSSignature2.png

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:51 AM

I get the usual "I'm shacking up with you when the SHTF" from most of my friends and family.

I feel confident that my abilities would be advantageous for them and I would have to pick from their skills to fill the massive voids I have.

I don't have a huge plan set in place, and in almost every case I would hunker up in my home and bring in anyone I could afford to help.  My house is pretty comfortable and in a pretty quiet area.

The biggest worry is that I have a Wal-Mart too close and I think based on the videos we've all seen from Black Friday they can be a serious looting threat.

• SKD_Tactical and DieselD like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

One thing I think most people forget is that they may have to just stay put, and while they may have adequate supplies, they lack the ability to keep people out.

We probably have an unrealistic idea that we could defend against a hoard of angry pissed off hungry armed assholes.

Probably nothing in the realm of normal housing qualifies as a hardened structure. But I would start with doors and door frames. Most are woefully inadequate as barriers. Windows as well.

I've started. It's freakin expensive. I'm lucky in the window department in that most of mine are inaccessible. The door frames and doors are pretty easy to harden. Just not cheap. I figure it's worth it just from a security standpoint for when I'm not home.

Which brings me to my other point. You can plan all you want, but what if whatever it is that you want to run from kicks off when you're far from home? Your wife and kids are gonna have to fend for themselves for a while. That changes a lot for me and my plan that I thought was good.

One last thought. You can have the best security in the world and it won't matter if your house is on fire. Gotta plan for that. The roof is the weakest link there. Which falls into the realm of holy shit expensive. But it's something to think about.
  • EMSWxSAR likes this

#8 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

Was reading an article about Personal Protection (Read babysitting with guns) but it reminded me of a few products.  One worth mentioning here, 3M Window Films for anit-break qualities.

http://solutions.3m....y_Window_Films/

These aren't going to stop a truck or maybe even a pointed pick axe but it should stop your average rock at least the first few dozen times and give you the ability to launch 'ballistically superior projectiles' in their direction.

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#9 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Just go wide'ass open enjoying the gift of being alive everyday. Your more likely to die from cancer or vehicle accident later today, next week, or some years away. Drink beer, get laid, and exercise. I never did understand why people worry about tomorrow if they are not vibriantly alive today.

• GLOCKMAN83, Glen Allen, MightyP and 1 other like this

#10 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Looks like I'll have to see about getting this built...

http://all-that-is-i...ie-proof-house 

ITSSignature2.png

#11 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

Just go wide'ass open enjoying the gift of being alive everyday. Your more likely to die from cancer or vehicle accident later today, next week, or some years away. Drink beer, get laid, and exercise. I never did understand why people worry about tomorrow if they are not vibriantly alive today.

Very true.

Let me to put this into a different perspective for you for sake of argument though.

I worked with a guy, great guy, but was a bit of a prepper. Not a full on dooms day prepper, but he had rain barrels, and stores of food, ammo, and what not. What he would do (I later found out) was every time he went to the store, he would buy a few extra cans of food, and or a box of ammo. If he didn't have the money, he didn't do it. This was an every time thing, no matter what. Flash forward a few years and this guy had a VERY nice impressive basement of food, ammo, and suppies! His wife ended up getting really sick and they didn't know why, he took a leave from work, and during this leave, she was diagnosed with and died of some kind of brain tumor, she went quick towards the end. It messed him and the kids up obviously. Later that same year he was injured on the job in an auto accident. Since it was on the job he was getting workers comp, but its not a full check. That reserve of canned goods and ammo he had, litterally saved his ass! He was able to spend the money was still getting for clothes for the kids, gas, etc, and had the majority of the food needed to feed his family and only had to spend very little to get some meat or eggs or what ever. I woud swing by once in a while to check in on them, and I was really impressed on how they were doing! When I had my knee surgery and was out for about a year, I barely made it and had moved back in with family and was pretty much only supporting myself with my workers comp checks and here he was thriving.

So what I'm getting at is this, is it crazy to prep, perhaps. Is it crazy to have a basement full of food and goods you could potentially use or sell off to supliment your income should you need to in a time that you are having a personal SHTF?? I think that in itself is a much more realistic scenario and a pretty rescponsible thing to do! Whats the worse thats gonna happen? You end up using them food or shooting the ammo eventually?

• spenceman, Sourdough, Davis and 5 others like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#12 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

I have a humble opinion on this.

I believe in the old boy scout motto "be prepared". Now that being said I think that Psycofish's friend has the right idea. I am a bit bias on this because I am a bit like him. I buy a little bit extra here and there because I would like to eat if "anything" did happen and you never know when your going to need more ammo lol. Now when and if a SHTF situation where to happen you need to be flexible and be prepared to travel if nessicary. I always have noticed that most things happens in three's. Wait, observe, Run!!! so basically waiting it out might work but you should always learn as much as you can in any situation and have a plan of egress. when you move move quickly, lightly, and quietly. now having a new born is tricky but still doable. The native americans used to do it all the time, so finding the balance between speed and stealth is somthing thats going to take some work. just remember practice!!!! practice!!!! practice!!!! Also remember you dont need to carry 5 guns a person if you need to run. at max I would say two a person, and dont sacrifice food and water for ammo especaily with a baby which means one of you will be carrying most of the supplies if your on foot unless you have a dog wich can greatly improve your chances of survival. Although the dog is another mouth to feed, the benefits can outway the cons. If staying put is working for the situation remember bartering is a good thing to think about. Regardless of the situation try not to draw to much attention and use avenues that are least likely to get you hurt or worse. Alot of people tend to think of a SHTF event as a battle, as much of the media portrayes it to be its not. Survival is the name of the game and you can never know what is going to be thrown at you but you can always increase the odds of your success.
  • MightyP and EMSWxSAR like this

EIu5PDO.png

#13 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

I am 68 y/o and I have been studying this SHTF for just over 50 years.

If you really want to survive an event in-which at least 40% of the population in-which you currently spend most of your life now are killed.

#1) Get as far from other humans as is possible, as quickly as possible.

#1a.) It does not matter if it is Pandemic, War, Invasion, A Nuclear accident, Terrorist Attack, it does not matter. Just get away from other humans, this in my opinion is more important than water, food, clothing, and yes more important than FIREARMS.

Most of you are Warriors for a City Team, a State Team, a Federal Team. Do you really want your loved ones there with you......??? Being in HARMS'WAY is your choice, but you loved ones should be as far from HARMS'WAY as is possible.

• Geist and Fivesenenguy like this

#14 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

At the outset:  One of the most valuable tools for me in getting a grasp on the big picture is so-called “mind mapping” software.  I have used the X-mind free version for a few years now.  It’s turned into a Title page with various sub-pages or sub-mind maps.

I prefer most of the family bugging out at the early signs of genuine unrest, even if it’s just staging at a friend’s home that’s well outside a major metro area.  It’s too late when the looting starts, the storm-with-plenty-of-warning hits, martial law is enacted or whatever.

When brainstorming what types of incidents I separated all into Natural disasters or Man-made disasters.  Maybe just a personal thing, but it helped me recognize a lot more when I focused on one type at a time. 

It also helped to make lists of what I CAN control and lists of what I CANNOT control.  Again, it helped flesh out the real issues and prioritize them over lesser issues.  Things as simple adding psych barriers to your home exterior; if it gets bad, start removing direct access to entrances and front area windows, etc.  It gets a message across.

Once I have a scenario (rather a list of them), I apply thought on the following categories for each scenario:

CBRNE; what can I realistically pre-position or carry to deal with possible CBRNE environmental concerns?

Clothing; climate, weather changes, concealing or hi visibility, etc.

Communication; monitoring and 2-way

Food

Library; what do I consider a basic, mobile library for a new “home”?  Satellite imagery or pre-printed maps of your area, etc.

Lists; lists of what to grab if I need to bug out, lists of things that should be pre-positioned and packaged
Livestock, to include pets; care, feeding, harvesting

Medical and Sanitation; to the level of our occupational nurse family members and a bit beyond

Power and Fuel; sometimes creature comforts of air conditioning or DVD/TV go a loooong way

Research ideas; things you know you don’t know AND analysis of past events both modern and not so modern

Security and Strategies; getting everyone on the same page to help cover human error gaps and fog of war

Skills, Training and Safety;  from open flame candles to chainsaws to cooking other than the usual stove

Supplies; for personal use and for charity.  Batteries, disposable dinnerware, paper goods, etc.

Tools; from firefighting on a small scale to vehicle recovery to temporary home repairs or changes

Transportation; Bicycle?  Hand truck?  Cart suitable for wheeling a full-sized human around?

Water; storage, filtration/treatment

I started with the worst case, bugging out on foot with a family.  In my opinion, it is the primary building block.  From there everything else is incrementally “easier” and simply a matter of economy of scale.

Best of all, PERFORM it.  Practice sessions are a must.  Realistic big out/bug in comms, intel/recon, etc.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shelter in place, survival, family

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users