126 replies to this topic

#81 jmonaghan175

jmonaghan175

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHatboro, PA

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

I love the Streamlight Strion HL.  Rechargeable, small, and 500 lumens.  I use it as an EDC light and as my secondary light on duty.  I swear by it.  There are several people who can attest to having momentarily lost their night vision when I am attempting to gain a tactical advantage.  They are also based only about a half hour away from me so any service issues can be handled quickly.

#82 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:50 AM

I've had one of these for years (close to 10 at this point)... still haven't changed the battery..

http://www.streamlig...uct.html?pid=60

It's not terribly bright, but it can shed some light on the situation.

Also the obvious EDC flashlight, with a variety of brightness options (flashlight app has various brightness and adjustable strobe, screen backlight also is enough light to move around in the dark)

1252996_sr_1160-100034316-orig.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned either yet!

third and final option, but something I only have occasionally is a Timex Weekender with "Indiglo".. I rotate through several watches, but I read there was some high profile event where an indiglo watch was used as a makeshift flaslight maybe during the early 90's trade center bombing?

I also have a 6-D Maglite in the truck.. Used to have a 2 or 3D in every car but I need to do some battery maintenance.  

#83 Thunderwood

Thunderwood

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCentral Alabama

Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

A streamlight stylus pro. Every day.

#84 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

SureFire just announced their first "keychain" sized flashlight. The Titan puts out 125 lumens, runs off of 1 AAA battery, and MSRP is ~$60. A little pricey, but i'm thinking of picking one up.

titan-a_surface7.jpg

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#85 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

I like my Nitecore tube on my keychain. Usb rechargeable

#86 nitaliano

nitaliano

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

5.11 PLx most of the time.

#87 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

OK, some of the gear enablers on here recommended I upgrade my EDC light away from my trusty Streamlight keychain deal, so I figured I'd bounce some options in this thread (rather than start a new one).  Since it would be for general usage and (hopefully never but maybe) a "tactical" support in a defensive situation I figure I'd want it to be at least as long as my closed fist, and preferably not much longer.. From gripping a handy ruler that puts me at no less than 3.5", so 3.5-4" length would be ideal, I'd go a bit longer if there was some great benefit, but definitely less than 5".  My EDC pocket-knife is about 4.5 so that's OK.

I think "brighter is better" since in a defensive situation if I can momentarily blind the BG that's a benefit, and maybe even enough for them to decide to go elsewhere.. But I'm open to education on the subject.

I'm a bit mixed on battery use.. I tend to prefer generic battery (AAA etc) to the special kind, just because it's nice to know I can drop into any store and get the replacements.. But again I'm open to other options.

I'm not tied to any brand.. I love Surefire stuff, but it can be $$.  My little streamlight I've had about 10 years and only just this year even replaced the batteries.. One criteria is pricing has to be little enough that I can afford to lose it... lets say <$50

Here's some Streamlights I found that pretty much fit the bill, but again I'm open to suggestions.

http://smile.amazon....light ProTac 2L

http://smile.amazon....ght microstream

http://smile.amazon....ght ProTac 1AAA

http://smile.amazon....light ProTac 1L

http://smile.amazon....light ProTac 1L

And, gear enablers.... GO!

#88 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:48 AM

Check out 4sevens. Great lights and wallet friendly
  • Corbs and mackguy like this

#89 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

And, gear enablers.... GO!

Wait, wait, wait... Aren't you the one who just said you have to be sneaky when buying stuff so your wife doesn't find out??? And now you're literally asking for enablement? (yes, I made up a word) Do you want to stay married? This group of guys has reached a class of enabling seldom found elsewhere... Anyway, I feel I have now done my due diligence in saving a marriage. On to the enabling...

I'll start by saying, you can get any of those lights and be perfectly happy. They're all good, but just like everything else in your EDC lineup, it's extremely personal. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. Just keep that in mind while you're reading...

When I decided to get an EDC flashlight, I just kept buying flashlights until I found one that really worked for me. It got to the point where my wife once asked if I had a problem. She was kidding, but I really did buy 4 or 5 lights within a couple months. Some I sent back, some I kept. The 5 I ended up keeping are the Preon P1, L3 Illumination L10/L10C/L11C and the Thrunite T20 for EDC. I also have a LOT of other flashlights of various sizes/shapes I bought and was issued over the years, but they don't play into this. I should also note, I'm not a Surefire fan. I have been issued a couple over the years and haven't found them to be any better/more reliable than the cheap lights.

I would suggest you seriously consider the following when comparing lights:

- How will you carry the flashlight? In a pocket? Clipped to a pocket? In a bag?

- How good is the clip? I clip my light to my pocket, just like my knife. I lost the Preon P1 within a week because the clip stuck out so far, it caught on everything.

- Do you want a tail click switch or is twist okay?

- Do you want multiple brightness levels? My light has 3 settings and I use all 3 regularly.

- Does the light always start on the same brightness level or does it have a memory? Most flashlights turn on to the same brightness level every time and you have to adjust from there. Some remember the last level you used and go back to that.

- How often do you lose/damage your flashlight? I lose/damage my EDC light about once a year.

- How bright is enough? If you haven't seen how bright 50, 150, 250, 600 and 1000+ lumens are in the dark, I'd suggest it. 50-100 lumens is plenty for me 95% of the time, but when you want 500+ lumens, you REALLY want them.

- How long do you leave your light on at a time? These little LED flashlights are crazy bright, but get HOT after only a few minutes at their highest settings.

- Do you want a strobe option?

Of the lights you listed, I'd suggest either of the ones that use 123A batteries. 123A batteries are nearly as commonplace as AA and AAA anymore and you get a lot more light. I use rechargeable batteries batteries and just keep a couple non-rechargeable in my car as a backup. Because the rechargeable batteries are Li-Ion, I don't have to wait until they're dead to recharge them, so I swap them out every few weeks, long before they've had enough use to die.

I now carry the Thrunite T20 as my EDC with generic, rechargeable batteries. I lost the first one, but at $23, it wasn't a big deal to replace, even losing the rechargeable battery. It's only 3.25" long, but it's long enough it fits in my hand just fine (my hand is 3.5" wide). Plus, it comes with the usual spare parts and even a little cone if you ever tail-stand your flashlight. It's also the only light I've had that remembers the last brightness level you used and returns to it the next time you turn it on.

• HTEngineer and EMSWxSAR like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#90 HTEngineer

HTEngineer

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

OK, some of the gear enablers on here recommended I upgrade my EDC light away from my trusty Streamlight keychain deal

Edit: and then while I was writing this MightyP just owned this thread.

Disclaimer: I'm not married yet so ignore my enabling if you want to stay married!

Oops! Oh wait, I always want to help someone else spend money!

I miss the Quark Tactical series. They were the best lights for the $$ with the best UI.

Ok, Here's my 2c. I've carried a Surfire 200 Lumen E2DL in my left back pocket for years (I'm right handed):

1. Highly crenelated bezels (especially the old surefires) suck. If they're in head up, prepare to take chunks out of your hand/arm whenever you reach back behind/beside you, head down they'll eat your clothes. 

2. Tailcap mode switching lights aren't fun because you turn it on then turn it off and suddenly you've gone from 200 lumens to 20 lumens and you probably still wanted that 200 lumens, so pick an interface that lets you momentary on/off or clicky on off with one hand without changing brightness/mode. I like the switch as a separate button or tightening/loosening of flashlight head, rotating tailcap, etc. The quark tactical is still my favorite, but I gave all those away :(

3. Make sure its quickly accessible. The flashlight is often the first thing in my hands, its not a "weapon", I can take it where I can't take a gun/knife, relatively non threatening (especially if the crenelations are small or non existent). If I decide to light up something/someone I can without too much issue and move from there.

4. I like the 200-300 lumen range for inside buildings. I've done some limited force on force, and cleared my white walled apartment numerous times. Coming face to face with a white latex painted wall (like entering a hallway you didn't know was there) and triggering 200 lumens can be an unplesant experience. My roommate had a R1 Lawman and that thing was stupid bright. Remember there are shiny things inside like mirrors that you can easily self blind yourself with. 1000 lumens takes a couple seconds to actually get the spot to go away. 200 lumens will get you to about 50 m depending on the throw. There are different techniques to use like shining the light on the ceiling of a reflective room that work sometimes. 

What I noticed when looking recently is that everyone is having a "lumen war" where they want to get the most lumens out of their lights, almost to the point of not being practical. 

Edited by HTEngineer, 21 August 2015 - 04:22 PM.

• Corbs and MightyP like this

#91 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

I love my Streetlight Protac 2AA and HL. 

89BccLb.png

#92 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Lots to figure out... I'd never even thought of "modes" on a flashlight... every light I've owned has had two modes... off and on.  Or in the case of my 6D Maglight Off, On, and baseball bat..

At this point I'd probably go with the simpler the better... Off/On, tailcap ignition, pocket clip... It would probably be in left pocket along with cell phone

• HTEngineer likes this

#93 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

I don't know that there is a more reliable, cost-effective light out there beyond the single mode Surefire G Nitrolon series with simple twist=constant on tailcap. If you're concerned about something like an EMP, spare incandescent bulbs are drop-in and cheap.  No switches to wear out or fail. It's the Glock of flashlights.

However those lights are a lot more bulky than the EDC I'd like.  I am a big fan of the Streamlight Protac 1AA. Small enough to carry in a front pocket and it easily angles in the pocket to crease of pelvis whenever I sit down.  Longer lights  are not as comfortable . The belt clip is pretty good, and it pops off if you put a LOT of pressure on it. Originally I did not like that but that also means you don't rip your pocket off if you put way too much pressure on it.

My Ten Tap programming is set to full brightness 100% of the time.  No inopportune mode switching.  I only wish it could tail stand.  I buy Energizer lithium AAs on eBay or Amazon in bulk as cheap as I can.  I usually have one of those 4 battery plastic cases wherever the light is stowed.

No crying if I lose it (not so with the SF E1B I lost in a foot pursuit), and I can afford to keep multiples around in the truck, work pack, laptop bag, etc. The only one I had I thought I damaged dropped from 10'--I was sure the fall had cause it to stop working. However it was the fall that caused the battery stop working. I have no idea how that happened.

The only gotcha with the Streamlight PT series is it sometimes take a little wear or very light polishing/sanding to ensure the electrical contact of the tail cap to the body.  The body of the flashlight is used as one conductor in the switching part of the circuit.  But I don't know of any lights that are different in this regard - - just that the Surefire lights mentioned above don't need to be used or polish to work from the start.

I have a bunch of lights from JetBEAM, Olight, LEDlenser, Zebralight, etc.  The Surefire P2Xs, Zebralight HL52, Streamlight 1AA and JetBEAM M1X see use, with the 1AA seeing 90% of that use.  The rest are... backups I guess.

#94 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Fenix UC35; High power flashlight with an 960-lumen turbo output that throws a beam 200 meters (656 feet).

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/uc35-fenix-flashlight/

• Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
  • Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123ALithium batteries
  • Micro-USB charging for the 18650 rechargeable battery
  • Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
  • Side switch on the head for output selection
  • Digitally regulated output – maintains constant brightness
  • Low-voltage warning function to remind you to replace/charge the battery
  • Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
  • Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
  • Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
  • Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
  • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
  • Impact resistant to 1m
  • Waterproof to 2m 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#95 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Fenix-UC35-Rechargeable-Flashlight-600x4

Edited by davebass, 22 August 2015 - 11:42 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#96 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:49 PM

I carry the Surefire 6pX Tactical with the clip from RCS. Its a little bigger than I like but it gets the job done for now. That Fenix UC35 looks like a great option!

#97 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:43 PM

Ordered the Streamlight MicroStream for starters

http://smile.amazon....ght microstream

We'll see how it works out..

#98 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:18 PM

Good general purpose light! I have 2

#99 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

I just want to thank my fellow members.  You guys always steer me in the right direction to spend my entire pay check.

Enablers enabling enablers!

• charliefox and davebass like this
"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do
anything with nothing." Unknown

#100 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 31 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

I just want to thank my fellow members.  You guys always steer me in the right direction to spend my entire pay check.

Enablers enabling enablers!

Seriously where DOES the paycheck go?  

• Rulrofelves likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users