• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 flashlightsolutions

flashlightsolutions

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:20 AM

My current EDC is a Surefire l4 lumamax Now I know they are discontinued so what's a good replacement if I want a second? I would like to stick with surefire I was looking at the E2D defender ultra.
http://www.surefire....nder-ultra.html

Or the LX2 lumamax

http://www.surefire....x2-lumamax.html

Which one would you choose?

two very different interfaces. The LX is a real tactical one. The other is a utility interface (double click).

I would suggest looking at the EB1-EB2 backups.

You got to buy the extra Tactical switch. With thsi they work like the LX2 which is an older model

(pressing or wtistign a little will give you little light, press/twist full way will get you max light) very intuitive.

#122 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:34 AM

two very different interfaces. The LX is a real tactical one. The other is a utility interface (double click).
I would suggest looking at the EB1-EB2 backups.
You got to buy the extra Tactical switch. With thsi they work like the LX2 which is an older model
(pressing or wtistign a little will give you little light, press/twist full way will get you max light) very intuitive.

I was under the impression that the light had to be a tactical model from the factory as the electronics in the heads are configured differently for the click and tactical models, is that not the case?

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#123 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

On my person I carry a Surefire E2D Defender, in my bag I keep a Petzl Pro Strix headlamp. I have gone through quite a few different lights, sticking the rejects in the kids and wife's bags. That sounds like a dick move but they are still getting good lights. It helps to justify me buying new ones since I tell them I tested the old ones out for them. I got a lot of use from the headlamp, helping stuck vehicles, helping change tires, etc. at night. The defender gets a lot less use but it's nice to know it's there when needed since I don't take my bag everywhere.

#124 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

On my person I carry a Surefire E2D Defender, in my bag I keep a Petzl Pro Strix headlamp. I have gone through quite a few different lights, sticking the rejects in the kids and wife's bags. That sounds like a dick move but they are still getting good lights. It helps to justify me buying new ones since I tell them I tested the old ones out for them. I got a lot of use from the headlamp, helping stuck vehicles, helping change tires, etc. at night. The defender gets a lot less use but it's nice to know it's there when needed since I don't take my bag everywhere.

Keeping a headlight handy is an excellent plan, I didn't use to, but I've put a Petzl E-Lite+ in my pocket med kit, as holding a torch in my mouth while dealing with blood isn't my idea of fun. Also great for changing tires etc, and the adjustable head and flashing modes also make it a servicable marker beacon.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#125 GrizCo

GrizCo

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

Keeping a headlight handy is an excellent plan, I didn't use to, but I've put a Petzl E-Lite+ in my pocket med kit, as holding a torch in my mouth while dealing with blood isn't my idea of fun. Also great for changing tires etc, and the adjustable head and flashing modes also make it a servicable marker beacon.

I had that experience with the blood, I had a headlamp and watched another good Samaritan drop the penlight from his mouth into a pool of blood. It's like where do you go from there? I knew it wasn't going back in his mouth and by the time he was done fiddling around I had the bleeding under control. I upgraded to the Petzl in case I need to ever go to DEFCON 1 (my EDC and kit is broken down into DEFCON phases, silly but helpful) and strap it on my helmet. That particular headlamp I still keep in a medkit in my Jeep.

#126 flashlightsolutions

flashlightsolutions

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

I was under the impression that the light had to be a tactical model from the factory as the electronics in the heads are configured differently for the click and tactical models, is that not the case?

#127 flashlightsolutions

flashlightsolutions

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

a very complex issue....further complexed by lack of info on Surefire's part

http://www.candlepow...B2-backup-light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users