15 replies to this topic

#1 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:23 AM

So generally I am not a fan of off body carry however for my mother its the only practical method.  I got this bag for her for christmas and just slapped together a kydex insert/holster for it as I have never been a fan of the little fabric velcro loop holsters usually used for bags like this.  Here is the results.  It should conceal her Glock 19 with no issue and because this bag can be worn with the strap diagonally around the body and even includes a waist strap it should be as secure as an on body cary method.  Just figured anyone looking for an alternative carry method might be interested.  

The bag (a maxpedition Fatboy)

Attached File  bag1.jpg   55.96KB   2 downloads

The holster which is a 'shell' molded to the pistol and a back piece molded to allow a proper grip (keeps the bag clear)

Attached File  Bag2.jpg   52.11KB   0 downloads

Bag with a pistol concealed 

Attached File  Bag3.jpg   29.93KB   0 downloads

Bag with my G26 it should fit up to a 19 without an issue but my 34 is a little big.  

Attached File  Bag4.jpg   71.21KB   1 downloads

Edited by B3dlam, 08 December 2014 - 02:23 AM.

• pira114 likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#2 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:42 AM

So generally I am not a fan of off body carry however for my mother its the only practical method. I got this bag for her for christmas and just slapped together a kydex insert/holster for it as I have never been a fan of the little fabric velcro loop holsters usually used for bags like this. Here is the results. It should conceal her Glock 19 with no issue and because this bag can be worn with the strap diagonally around the body and even includes a waist strap it should be as secure as an on body cary method. Just figured anyone looking for an alternative carry method might be interested.
The bag (a maxpedition Fatboy)

I'm a fan of off body carry... Ive always wanted to try one of these style bags, just never have. I used to use a messenger bag with a slot specific for firearm. Ive gone back to a traditional backpack to blend in better but it is harder to get to the weapon...anyhow, Thank you for the post. Im always looking to do things better.

Edited by iExpresso, 08 December 2014 - 03:43 AM.

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:45 AM

I'm a fan of off body carry... Ive always wanted to try one of these style bags, just never have. I used to use a messenger bag with a slot specific for fire arm. Ive gone back to a traditional backpack to blend in better but it is harder to get to the weapon...anyhow, Thank you for the post. Im always looking to do things better.

I know camelbak made a backpack for concealed carry that had a firearm specific pocket hidden in the bag where it could be relatively easily accessed. I will always prefer on the body carry and that's generally the only method I use but like I said for some it's not an option.

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

This looks like it would work for my ol'lady. How does the holster attach? Or does it? Just curious how the draw would be if the holster isn't secured to the pack.

Maybe a better pic of how the holster is in there?

But otherwise, cool idea and thanks for sharing.

#5 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:03 AM

If anyone is looking for more ideas, SGM Paul Howe in a few videos from Panteao Productions showed a few shoulder bags for off body carry.  Like many, Howe prefers body carry, appendix carry specifically, but shows EDC bags during the home defense video.

SGM Paul Howe does great videos about EDC, my opinion, and you can absolutely prior military.  you can tell by all of his prep and personal modifications to his gear.  I think it's hilarious and it reminds me so much of myself...lol

B3dlam, thank you for the recommendation.  I will take a look at camelback. 

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#6 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

This looks like it would work for my ol'lady. How does the holster attach? Or does it? Just curious how the draw would be if the holster isn't secured to the pack.
Maybe a better pic of how the holster is in there?
But otherwise, cool idea and thanks for sharing.

It's hard to get a good picture of the holster now that it's in the pack but basically the back panel is covered in hook tape which attaches to the pile inside the bag. If that was to all fail the top edge of the panel should catch in the pocket just above the zipper.

#7 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Thanks brother

#8 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:47 PM

Nice!

#9 TexCzech

TexCzech

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouth , Tx

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Nice looking little setup , I've owned a few of their products an there well built .How tight is the gun once in place as far as moving around inside the pouch ? My I also make the suggestion to put something larger and easily detectable on the zipper pull to make easier to detect by feel and find in low light situations .

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Nice looking little setup , I've owned a few of their products an there well built .How tight is the gun once in place as far as moving around inside the pouch ? My I also make the suggestion to put something larger and easily detectable on the zipper pull to make easier to detect by feel and find in low light situations .

The pistol is very secure in the bag retention is similar to that on any kydex holster. And due to the large back panel with velcro the holster assembly itself doesnt move around at all in the bag.

A larger pull tab is definitely something I will suggest.

#11 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:31 PM

I have a fat boy rig that I have been using for about 5 months now. I as well prefer body carry but this makes it handy to just grab the bag and go. it also alows me to be able to enter buisnesses with out having to pull my gun off then put it back on. I carry gloves medical supplies pens rite in the rain pads and all sorts of usefull tools that my not be very easy to carry on my person. I will say this though it does have its draw backs. but for a little edc bag it fits the bill.

EIu5PDO.png

#12 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

BTW love the kydex idea. I started making my own holsters for fun. so I think I might rivet a peice of hook and loop to one and see how that does!!!
  • Corbs likes this

EIu5PDO.png

#13 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

BTW love the kydex idea. I started making my own holsters for fun. so I think I might rivet a peice of hook and loop to one and see how that does!!!

If you get the heavy duty Velcro that's backed with 3m VHB adhesive and mate it to the smooth (not grainy) side of th kydex, it won't shift. That stuff sticks.

Edited by Corbs, 09 December 2014 - 08:38 AM.

• Fivesenenguy likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#14 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

My primary worry about carrying in my backpack is that I have to keep a steely eye on my backpack for every second.

I can't set it down without worrying about someone runner snagging it on their way past when I look for my kid or into my wallet for a second.

I do it from time to time, I'm never comfortable with it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#15 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Looks good.  My wife has liked her purse from Coronado Leather Company too, since this is for a woman and all it may be something to look at in the future as well.  We also put in a kydex holder instead of the fabric/elastic loop.

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#16 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

I understand exactly how you feel, I also use a flight light operators pack from time to time when I have to go out of town. I am always watching it which gets tireing after awhile. 

EIu5PDO.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users