• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DAVE_M

DAVE_M

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

It's been a while since I've posted here on the ITS forums and even then, I haven't posted much in the past. I'm mainly on social media sites and a select few knife/firearm forums. Mostly lurking or gathering information for DIY projects. I thought I'd share my review of a small fixed blade that I found.

Selby Knives Folsom Necker

Background Info:
I frequently use the iOS/Android app Instagram and was browsing one day, when I stumbled upon Selby Knives' page. I instantly fell in love with the design when I realized it resembled a similar shape to a Strider SJ75 Baby Huey. I contacted Brian Selby, inquiring more information about his knives. He was very helpful and within a few days of conversation, my Folsom Necker was on it's way.

15390534502_303f541f90_z.jpg15230033659_b86f36ab43_z.jpg

The necker is made from O1 tool steel and comes with G10 handle slabs (your choice of color) and a kydex sheath with a 550 cord lanyard.

First Impressions - The Knife:
The knife fits well in the hand, for it's size, and the thumb ramp is perfectly placed for a solid grip while push cutting. At first, I was not overly impressed by the G10 handles, as I am usually a fan of flush fit scales. However, this being a small knife, the scales being slightly undersized allows a positive grip for each knuckle to really dig into. I did not have much time to do cut tests yesterday, but I'll be posting my results when I get back home this evening. The finish is well done, with the Selby Knives logo and "Selby Knives" laser engraved onto the blade. The finish reminds me of a patina rather than a coating. Judging by the laser engraving, it does not appear to be very thick, but I believe it will hold up well. The knife does have a lanyard hole, of which I have not found a use for yet. I may put a small decorative lanyard to a get a better handle purchase, but it is most definitely not needed. I have rather large hands (XL gloves or bigger) and it fits very well in my hand and does not feel like I would lose a grip.

First Impressions - The Sheath:
The sheath is made of kydex or a similar composite. It has a very smooth texture and is very well made. The sheath does its job and has very secure retention. With a slight tug, the knife can be removed from the sheath and the knife snaps right back into the sheath with minimal effort. I'm going to go ahead and order a pair of loops for IWB carry, but this would definitely be a handy neck knife or backpack shoulder strap mounted knife.

*The above was copied and pasted from my initial review on other forums*

Update 12/7/14 - It's been a few weeks now, wearing the knife daily.

The sheath was wayyy too bulky. Using the dremel, I realized I desperately need a benchtop belt sander.

Before and After:
15970875095_37d81c44bb_z.jpg15970860395_e3ce762ac0_z.jpg

On my person:

15787979360_0a63f07341_z.jpg

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#2 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

Good looking knife.  Thanks for the review on it!

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#3 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

If you've never used o1 tool steel you're in for a treat. Takes a great edge, holds it well and is fairly easy to sharpen. Good wear resistance and edge stability. Nice little piece you got there. Looks like the edge geometry should be pretty good for such a short and relatively thick blade. I've herd of Selby knives, but I've never seen one in person. They look legit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users