22 replies to this topic

#1 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:33 AM

I am looking to get a weapon light for my G19. From the research I've done, the TLR-1HL and Inforce APL are the two that stand out to me. The TLR seems to be the industry standard and be able to light up a room with no issue. The APL is nice and slim with a intuitive switch system. 

I plan to use this light for an EDC since I work a night job. My primary concern is holster availability for these two. I tend to carry AIWB, but I also want to have a Level 2 OWB that I can run as well. All this is secondary though.

Which light should I go with and why? Thanks

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

TLR all day! Streamlight is an industry standard and highly trusted brand and they stand behind their product. The TLR-1 series is extremely tried and true and has been proven time and time again to be one of the best products out there. And lastly, in my experience it is far easier to find holsters for the TLR-1 series than just about any other WML out there. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

I pack the TLR-1HL on my Glock 19. Been using the TLR-1 series for a few years now and I've found the HL is the monster of them all. 630 lumens with a strobe setting.

The only other light I've seen that has as many holster options as the TLR-1 is the Surefire X300, and the TLR-1 wins the money game by a landslide.

I've been using a Safariland 6378 for the past 5 or 6 months and it's pretty good, but not so good in the grand Oklahoma wind (blows my concealment shirt all over). Placed an order for a Bravo Concealment BCA holster and I'm thinking about ordering the IWB attachment clips for it also. So, that's the holsters I have/will have.

Edited by mangeface, 15 December 2014 - 11:51 AM.

• Davis likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I don't really have a good "WHY" but I would recommend the TLR-1HL as it does indeed seem to be the standard by which all pistol lights should strive to beat.

Much like BMW is the standard for executive sports cars, there is a reason they are the standard.  

Every other company wouldn't use the old argument "We can beat the BMW in the 0-60" or can beat the BMW auto window up speed if it wasn't a target to beat to begin with.

I use this as a guide for many of my purchases.  If it's the industry standard, there is a good reason for it, otherwise something better would step up to replace it.

That's not to say that the Inforce light isn't good, or better at one function over another (same applies to the BMW reference above), they're still using the TLR-1 as it's target.

Edited by DStevenson, 15 December 2014 - 11:58 AM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

TLR-1HL is amazing value for money.

89BccLb.png

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

I am looking to get a weapon light for my G19. From the research I've done, the TLR-1HL and Inforce APL are the two that stand out to me. The TLR seems to be the industry standard and be able to light up a room with no issue. The APL is nice and slim with a intuitive switch system. 

I plan to use this light for an EDC since I work a night job. My primary concern is holster availability for these two. I tend to carry AIWB, but I also want to have a Level 2 OWB that I can run as well. All this is secondary though.

Which light should I go with and why? Thanks

http://trex-arms.com...le-sidecar-rig/

Problem solved.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

I chose a Surefire X300 Ultra for my weapon light. I have to say it is an amazing light and I have the utmost faith in it. The biggest downside I have found is that the light is freaking huge, it goes another inch or so past the muzzle. That I imagine would create issues carrying it with the light appendix style. In my searches for holsters that would let me have the light and appendix carry I found the following.

http://www.sawyercon...e-wrapped-aiwb/

http://www.armordill...uct_p/x-fer.htm

http://www.kaosconce...aos-fusion-x300

The sawyer concealment isn't listed as supporting a WML but I emailed them and they said they could support a custom order. Right now I run a bravo concealment for owb and an incog for iwb. If only g-code would come out with the WML version of the incog already.

#8 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

I chose a Surefire X300 Ultra for my weapon light. I have to say it is an amazing light and I have the utmost faith in it. The biggest downside I have found is that the light is freaking huge, it goes another inch or so past the muzzle. That I imagine would create issues carrying it with the light appendix style. In my searches for holsters that would let me have the light and appendix carry I found the following.

http://www.sawyercon...e-wrapped-aiwb/

http://www.armordill...uct_p/x-fer.htm

http://www.kaosconce...aos-fusion-x300

The sawyer concealment isn't listed as supporting a WML but I emailed them and they said they could support a custom order. Right now I run a bravo concealment for owb and an incog for iwb. If only g-code would come out with the WML version of the incog already.

The light extended past the muzzle isn't necessarily a bad thing. I prefer it due to it being able to keep the gun in battery and able to function during contact shots.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#9 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Looks like the TLR 1 it is. Thanks for all the input and holsters. I'll post me rig when I get it all set up.

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Does anyone have experience with the Insight APL? I'm looking hard at getting one in the near future. Thanks.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#11 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

The light extended past the muzzle isn't necessarily a bad thing. I prefer it due to it being able to keep the gun in battery and able to function during contact shots.

Oh with out a doubt its a feature, but when considering appendix carry I feel like the extra length might be more uncomfortable than a smaller light.

#12 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:32 AM

X300
/thread

#13 DontDroneMeBro

DontDroneMeBro

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:49 AM

I've tried all the lights mentioned in this thread. The surefire X-300 is the most robust, but has the same control functions as the TLR-1 which I find awkward. I have the X-300 on my Springfield XD Service that lives in my oh shit bag in my Jeep.

The Inforce APL is not only slim, but has a much easier to manipulate control group, as well as a lockout function which is nice to save battery and prevent negligent light discharges. Holsters shouldn't be a problem. Any good  quality kydex company should be able to make what you need. I use otghex.com. I have APL's on my Glock 17 and 19. I remove it for AIWB carry, but for OWB it stays on the gun.

#14 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:32 AM

X300
/thread

You can't close the thread like that =)  It's </thread> or <?php endif; ?> if your savvy.

The X300 is a sweet light but considering the TLR-1 is a fraction of the cost and you need to feed several pistols, it pays for itself quickly.

• mangeface, AaronK, Davis and 1 other like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#15 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

You can't close the thread like that =) It's </thread> or <?php endif; ?> if your savvy.

The X300 is a sweet light but considering the TLR-1 is a fraction of the cost and you need to feed several pistols, it pays for itself quickly.

Post of the day here.

Plus we have to be bribed AaronK, and I don't smell no bacon cooking.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

http://trex-arms.com...le-sidecar-rig/

Problem solved.

I think I just fell in love. Much appreciated
  • Jersey0311 likes this

#17 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

I use the Inforce APL on my duty gun and my concealed carry gun.  Bravo Concealment makes kydex holsters where you can select what gun/light combo you have and it will fit perfectly and retain off the light.  The only complaint I've ever heard about the APL was someone on here had trouble with the locking lever.  Inforce has since done away with the locking lever and it's a screw now.

#18 thetacticalmonkey

thetacticalmonkey

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

I love my APL it is much easier to actuate and conceal than the streamlight. I have one on all my personal handguns. Mine are both Gen 1 with the locking levers. I ran the Haley Strategic Handgun Vehicle Darkness class with 0 issues.

#19 TXWolf

TXWolf

Swabbie

• Life Member
  • 38 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

I own a TLR-1s and definitely like it, but I happen to prefer the smaller TLR-3 that's currently on my G17. Had it on for almost a year now and it's been great.

-Will

#20 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

I would say the Surefire X300 has taken the gold from my experiences with different WMLs (TL-1s, TL-1HL Insight). The Surefire X300U is a monster and would blind you and your assailant(s) during a potential confrontation in close quarters (where you are most likely to experience such trauma), so I like to put stock in the original model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users