19 replies to this topic

#1 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Anyone put one through the paces and if so, how does it hold up?

On paper, it looks like the backpack for me. Size and layout seem right. But I can't find one in a shop to put hands on.

My uses would be medium to hard duty. Daily use for ED stuff as well as hunting and hiking trips.

Also, if it's worth buying, do any of our discount vendors carry it? I couldn't find one, but want to make sure as I'd like to support them first.

Edited by pira114, 15 December 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#2 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 December 2014 - 06:50 AM

I wish I could comment on that particular one, but I will say that I have yet to be disappointed by a 5.11 product.  I have the PUSH pack, COVRT ZAP 6 and RUSH 72.  I would've thought React Gear would've been the place to look as they have other 5.11 products, but doesn't look like they stock the Nitro.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#3 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have no direct experience using that pack I did see it when it was market "prototype". So I cant speak to the validity or quality of this particular pack. 

Now unlike EMSW above... I have zero love for 5.11. I started out with a lot of love for them however as time went on they disappointed over and over. They make some good apparel their coats and TDU stuff seemed to be ok, however all of the pants I have ever bought from them have blown stitching within a month of washing. Their boots are terrible. and now onto their bags.

Early on I used mainly mountaineering and expedition packs. However when it came to a heavy tactical pack all I had was an issued ruck...that sucked. So i went on the quest for a good pack. Naturally I assumed that such an LE trusted company like 5.11 would make good stuff. Well I was wrong. 

I Bought a rush 72 loaded it up and gave it a jump test. Straps broke. 5.11 replaced it.... straps broke.... 5.11 replaced it, straps didnt break... until my first time out in the field. The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. Not on the quality of the customer service but on the quality of the pack itself. I have never seen a 5.11 pack that was not cheap stitching, which is unfortunate and I know not a shared opinion. However its my two cents...

My advice.... Arc Teryx, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Fight and Flight, Hill People Gear, Kifaru or High Ground. these are about the only pack companies worth a shit. Unfortunately these are all expensive 

Posted Image

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

Interesting. I have a Rush 72 and it's held up great. Just too big for the purpose I'm looking for.

I wear the TDUs at work. I've loved how durable they are. I also have the TacLite pants. Those are crap for anything but lounging around in my opinion. Our Admin guys wear them and love them. That should have been a clue. Haha.

Thanks for the input

Edited by pira114, 20 December 2014 - 11:33 PM.

#5 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

I don't mean this as an insult, but a lot of cops and even a lot of military dudes are tactical fanboys. They identify with the prestige of the organization, and/or want to ride on the accomplisments and reputation of the elite within their organization. That sounds a bit harsh, but I don't mean they are some stolen valor posers. A lot of times it's born out respect for those elites, and maybe even a desire to join their ranks. Elite units get prohibitively expensive stuff issued, and everyone else just has to drool.

5.11 gear is cheap but still allows many to feel like they are part of the cool guy club. Also, many departments request quality equpment, and their request gets routed through some bean counter who says "this stuff looks similart to the request but only costs 1/4 as much." So that is the source of the LE "trust" that Steve is talking about. At least that's my take on it.

5.11 is affordable and it will hold your stuff and make it easier to take it from the truck to the house, etc. It's fine gear for light day to day use, but it's not on par with an actual outdoor pack of similar cost. For the same price you can get a better and larger pack from Mountain Hardwear, Osprey, etc.

Don't drink the tactikool-aid

Edited by spenceman, 17 December 2014 - 02:51 PM.

• mangeface and Davis like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#6 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I hear ya. And it's not an insult at all. Honestly, if there was a pack that had all the features I wanted and still was subdued coloring enough for hunting, but looked conspicuously civilian, I'd prefer that.

But the MOLLE system is just really good at what it does. Allowing easier access to compartmentalized gear while not taking up room inside the main pack. And MOLLE will never look civilian to me.

Maybe I haven't put the 72 through enough, or I'm just getting lucky, but it's held up. If 5.11 is crap, it's crap. I'm not trying to stick to one particular brand. My work issued gear is what I'm told to have. Even being on two "special" teams, one tactical one not, I don't have much use for a pack at work. Other than carrying crap from car to car.

It's hiking and hunting that I use a pack for. These can be one day to a week or two long. So I don't mind paying good money for good stuff. Was just thinking this particular pack looked the right size and latout for a day or two trip. This is the first I've heard that 5.11 packs were not that great (obviously don't research packs much). So thanks for saving me a few bucks!

Edited by pira114, 17 December 2014 - 03:55 PM.

• spenceman likes this

#7 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 341 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:07 AM

http://www.mysteryra...ay-assault-pack

http://www.eberlesto...ck Backpack.htm

http://www.eberlesto...nslinger II.htm

Posted Image

#8 just a scout

just a scout

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

I have a Rush 72 I use for a 2-11 bag at work, meh. And a Rush 24 for EDC. If I wear it like a pack on both shoulders, my arms go numb. And it's not loaded very heavy at all. They're there, because they're cheap and inexpensive. Quality is so-so. My Kifaru is much better, but a Zulu isn't something I'd leave at the firehouse.

Posted ImageVictory is reserved for who are willing to pay it's price.

#9 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Too big and expensive vs what the OP is looking at 

#10 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

I had let this thread die because I've decided on a different route.

After posting this thread and reading the responses, it forced me to look at reality and what I want the pack for.

EDC, hunting, and backpacking. While going through the needs of each, it became apparent that one pack for all three won't work.

For hunting, I sometimes need a day pack, and sometimes need a 3 day pack.

Same for backpacking, although 3 day or longer is more suitable.

For EDC, I'm not gonna want to walk around with a huge pack meant for long term sustainability.

So the answer is this:

I'll be getting an Eberlestock F3M for longer hunting and backpacking trips. It seems to be exactly what I've been needing for those purposes.

For day trips, hunting or backpacking, I'll use the Rush 72. Mostly because I have it already and if it shits the bed, I don't care. I'll buy a better day pack when it dies. Day trips don't tend to be really hard on packs anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. My glad it turned out how it did. Otherwise, I'd probably end up doing this all over when I wasn't happy with my choice.

For EDC, I'm probably going to find a smaller quality canvas backpack and mod it for my purposes. I want it to look decidedly civilian, so I'll start there. Then mod the interior to carry what I want/need. Might be a fun project anyway.

#11 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

I had let this thread die because I've decided on a different route.

After posting this thread and reading the responses, it forced me to look at reality and what I want the pack for.

EDC, hunting, and backpacking. While going through the needs of each, it became apparent that one pack for all three won't work.

For hunting, I sometimes need a day pack, and sometimes need a 3 day pack.

Same for backpacking, although 3 day or longer is more suitable.

For EDC, I'm not gonna want to walk around with a huge pack meant for long term sustainability.

So the answer is this:

I'll be getting an Eberlestock F3M for longer hunting and backpacking trips. It seems to be exactly what I've been needing for those purposes.

For day trips, hunting or backpacking, I'll use the Rush 72. Mostly because I have it already and if it shits the bed, I don't care. I'll buy a better day pack when it dies. Day trips don't tend to be really hard on packs anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. My glad it turned out how it did. Otherwise, I'd probably end up doing this all over when I wasn't happy with my choice.

For EDC, I'm probably going to find a smaller quality canvas backpack and mod it for my purposes. I want it to look decidedly civilian, so I'll start there. Then mod the interior to carry what I want/need. Might be a fun project anyway.

Sometimes looking decidedly civilian is very handy, but having tacticalish capabilities is too. As almost all my EDC kit is in velcro backed pouches for my Khard, I had a custom gear maker do me a velcro/molle panel that drops into my satchel and holds all my kit. Also means no permanent mods, and easily swappable between packs.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#12 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:11 PM

That's a great idea. Got pics of it? Which your blessing, I may steal that

#13 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:23 AM

That's a great idea. Got pics of it? Which your blessing, I may steal that

Far from an original idea, it's similar to the BFG dapper panels.
15583632854_1545a14ef0_c.jpg
16018686590_43541b9aa1_c.jpg

Edited by Corbs, 05 January 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#14 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:24 AM

If I was to do it over I'd make sure that the maker knew to use loop as the backing material all over.

#15 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

I like that Strata patch, I take it that's the down under equivalent to Murica?

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#16 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

I like that Strata patch, I take it that's the down under equivalent to Murica?

It indeed is, I'm not a Strayan, but that photo was taken on the day after the cafe siege in sydney, so I'd been sticking platatac patches in obnoxious locations on my EDC in a show of solidarity.

#17 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

That's really cool. Thanks for posting. I'm probably gonna do something similar. Gotta pretty good idea of what I want now.

Thanks again

#18 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Don't not buy 5.11 for any perceived lack of quality. I've put my 5.11 Rush packs (and pants) through some pretty tough events and they've all come out unscathed. I probably put my gear through tougher situations than most civilians do (chronic Goruck-geek/ tactical adventurer) and I have zero complaints with my 5.11 pack(s) and/or pants.

Now if I were a SOCOM operator potentially going into a LoneSurvivor-esq situation I'd want something beefier. But I'm not, I do this stuff recreationally. Buying certain gear at a lower price point enables me to buy even more gear/ammo/adventures while still having money left over for mortgage/bills/retirement.

5.11 is not US made. That sucks. No way around that. That's important to me and I'm sure it is to you as well. Commercially raised animal-cruelty sucks too, but I still buy my meat from Costco because it's cheaper........... I wish all of my gear was "over-built" US made but us blue collar guys gotta do what we gotta do.

I've got various gear from almost all of the company's that were recommended in this thread and they're all great.

Bottom line: Don't not buy 5.11 because of lack of quality. Rather, don't buy 5.11 because it's not US made and you can truly afford better.

• Hidyn likes this
Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#19 USMC

USMC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

I also have the Messeger Mike the Moab 6 and the Rush 72. All have done what I have asked from them on the civilian side. Might not be my first choice if I was headed back to Afghanistan but for what I have them doing they are outstanding. Sorry didn't have any first hand knowledge of the pack from the OP but just wanted to chime in on quality perceived.

#20 Scimitar

Scimitar

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:20 PM

I've had too may 5.11 packs to count. Quality is #1 on every one of them.

I'm currently carrying a RUSH 12, but just (within the last 15 minutes) ordered a NITRO. Will be here Wednesday. I'll post a review after I've put it through some paces.

Semper Gumby...Always Flexible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users