Photo

Please critique my procedures and tell my what I could/should do differently!

Concealed carry car carry gun free zones

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:38 AM

Working a temp gig picking orders in a warehouse for the Christmas season. First day of orientation, the guy in charge says that we're not allowed to have firearms locked in our cars in the company parking lot.

Seeing as the great State of Minnesota has a law that specifically says, more or less, "can too," I decided "F that." I'm currently carrying my Ruger SR9C in a Sticky brand friction holster at around 5 o'clock, except when I'm driving, at which time I wedge the gun and holster into the gap between the passenger seat and the center console. When I get to work, I park a little farther out than strictly necessary and put the holstered pistol and spare mag in a little black nylon pack that I had sitting around and transfer it to my locked trunk.

When the night is over (I clock out at 2 AM), I retrieve the bag, get in the car and start it up after locking the doors, and while the windows are still fogged/frosty, I transfer the holstered pistol to the aforementioned spot and the spare mag to my coat pocket.

If I need to stop at, say, Wal-Mart on my way home, I again try to park in relative privacy, tilt my seat all the way back and transfer holstered pistol to the inside of my waistband and go in the store. When I'm back in the car and ready to head home, I put it back between the passenger seat and the center console.

Thoughts? I've only been carrying about six weeks or so, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry while I do the other things I have to do.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

Forgot to mention that we don't get searched on our way IN to work, but we do get a metal-detecting wand search on our way OUT every night.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#3 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

Many years ago I worked for an anti-gun theme park here in Florida.  I'm sure I don't have to mention its name.  I worked on the business side, rather than the park side, but they still wanted everyone to comply with not having weapons anywhere on property (including locked in a vehicle).  I have a safe in my vehicle and would similarly transfer the weapon from my person to it, and vice-versa upon the conclusion of my work day.  

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#4 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

I would think you would want to check on state laws.  Some states, have laws that allow storage of the weapon in the car.  That will trump any business rules.  Now, storage inside? That may get you fired and the state laws may not favor you.  Example. here in AZ, a private business can ban you from bringing a weapon in.  But they may not restrict you from having secured in the vehicle.   Id check into the laws so if you do get caught, your not out of a job.

Either way, good luck

• EMSWxSAR likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#5 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

For me it's kind of a pain relocating the holster, usually i'll just take the gun itself out and leave the holster in my waistband. With the sticky holsters they are cheap enough to have another in the car. Also my give-a-damn may be busted, because it's not uncommon for me to get out of the car and then slide the gun in the holster. I make sure to quickly check my surroundings first, I don't want to spook anyone or let any suspicious people see, but it's much easier than being a front seat contortionist (which also draw attention).

ETA: Just to clarify, if I'm going to somewhere long-term without a gun (work, school, chillin' at a friends house), I will leave it and the holster in the car.

Edited by spenceman, 17 December 2014 - 10:31 AM.

• EMSWxSAR and mysteriousjl like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#6 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm not sure on those saying that State Law trumps Company Policy on this. In court, yes. In an employment tribunal, no.

Just because doing something isn't breaking the law, doesn't mean it's alright by your company/contract. Unless the local law gives you a right to have it in your car, you'd be in hot water if they found out.

*not a lawyer

EDIT: Ultimately it comes down to your own priorities, where does carrying fall in relation to employment?

Edited by Corbs, 17 December 2014 - 10:31 AM.

• SacRyan, Davis and EMSWxSAR like this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#7 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:35 AM

Totally right Corbs.  If it was discovered that I had done so, I would've been terminated.  My state is a "right to work" state and they can let anyone go for really any reason they can come up with (less discrimination, et al).  The key is if in a similar situation to mine...don't talk about it, make sure you're not seen, etc.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#8 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

First off, it sounds like you go through a lot of work to relocate and move around your weapon. Similar to what Spence said, I just stand next to my truck and do what I need to and it is a lot easier than trying to contort around inside your car. I think you will find that in general people are grossly unaware of anything happening around them, so as long as somebody is not standing directly next to you, you will probably be fine. 

Also, as far as the right and wrong of it. I have to agree with Corbs on this, just because something is legal in the eye of the law, it can still be a violation of company policy. Meaning that if you get 'caught' they can fire you. You will not be in any legal problem, but in most states a business can terminate an employee for violating company policies. So for you this all boils down to a personal choice. 

• spenceman and EMSWxSAR like this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#9 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

In Texas, there is a law prohibiting companies from banning employees from keeping their weapons locked in their cars.  However, there is no penalty to go with the law, so there is no repercussion to the company if they fire you for it.

When it comes down to it, your safety is important and you can always find a new job, but you only get one life.  My short time in the oilfield, company policy said absolutely NO weapons.  Knives, guns, etc.  We drove company vehicles, so it extended to vehicles.  I concealed a .45 every single day.  I carried it working on equipment...I just lived by "concealed is concealed".  I knew if I got busted with it they would fire me, but I didn't care.  We had a few very shady sites (one in stop 6 in fort worth, and if you know fort worth, you know what I'm talking about). 

It's a personal decision, but you're protected legally, just not on the employment side.

#10 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

Minnesota is kind of a weird state with firearms. You are correct, you can legally keep a weapon secured in your car, but a company can fire you with little reason. You might be able to fight the termination in court and might even win your job back, but what's the likelihood you have the funds for that kind of court battle?

Couple suggestions. Get a decent lock box for your car. I have this small GunVault that works great and fits under the driver's seat or even in the glove box (if you have a bigger one). $20 and it's more secure than in your trunk. Also, if you've only been carrying for a few weeks, you're still at the point where every time someone looks in your direction, you feel like they are staring at your gun. That feeling fades. What some of the others have said, it's highly unlikely anyone will realize you have a gun if you just stand next to your car. Plus, the people who will likely notice are others who also keep a gun in their car. 

I worked for a Fortune 50 company with the same policies and metal detectors on the way out a couple years ago. Couldn't even bring a steak knife in to the break room with your lunch. CEO visited once and brought an armed guard with him. The policy is a CYA for the company, nothing else.

Don't be obvious about it and you should be fine. That said, if you do get fired for having a gun being prepared to defend yourself and others, I'm not responsible!  :cool:

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#11 wink

wink

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Like Texas, Kentucky also has a law that protects the employee from punishment while storing a firearm in their personal vehicle. So definitely check your local laws. Personally I just don't advertise that there is one in there and haven't had a problem. When I get to work gun gets lock away, when I leave from work gun goes back on my person.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#12 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:22 AM

Thanks a lot, dudes! And yes, I do not say one word about guns to anybody at work. 

• EMSWxSAR likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well, as of today I've completed that assignment and seeing as I don't see metal detectors in the immediate future I think I'll try using a plain leather Galco holster (although I'll still use the Sticky in the car) on my Dynamis belt. It's gonna be nice to have my other EDC items back on my person too. Thanks again, dudes!

Also, is there a better way to carry a spare mag than in a hoodie or coat pocket, other than a dedicated mag pouch?

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#14 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

Not really. Good mag pouch is probably your best bet.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#15 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:16 AM

Well, as of today I've completed that assignment and seeing as I don't see metal detectors in the immediate future I think I'll try using a plain leather Galco holster (although I'll still use the Sticky in the car) on my Dynamis belt. It's gonna be nice to have my other EDC items back on my person too. Thanks again, dudes!

Also, is there a better way to carry a spare mag than in a hoodie or coat pocket, other than a dedicated mag pouch?

Check out the Raven Concealment pocket shield. I've been using one to carry a knife and have seen a good number of people using them to carry a mag in their pocket with a Blue Force Gear single pistol mag pouch. Still lets you pocket carry but keeps the mag in a much better position. 

• mysteriousjl likes this

#16 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:41 PM

The car safe and the pocket shield both sound like very good ideas, thanks again, dudes!

• tdbarge and EMSWxSAR like this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#17 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:28 AM

Kyle Defoor has shown how he carries a spare mag tucked between belt and trousers on reaction side.  The mag base angled forward.  He didn't say as much, but the angled carry reduces mag profile and interference.

• mysteriousjl likes this

#18 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:49 AM

Awesome, I'll check that out too! Thank you very much.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Concealed carry, car carry, gun free zones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users