spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

Attached File  Khard30 winchester2.jpg   467.8KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Khard 30 winchester1.jpg   210.66KB   2 downloads

So somewhere close to a year ago I picked up an Arc'teryx Khard 30, and did a review shortly after taking it out to a bombing range and misusing it. I have since ended that career and am now a full-time student. The bag is currently used to tote my books, tools, and lunch back and forth to class. Yes, it's far less exciting, and doesn't really make for interesting pictures, but Mr. Bobby Volumes wanted to see how the pack was holding up.

One thing to keep in mind is that I'm still not gentle with my gear, and this pack is my all-in-one bag. It goes to class, the shooting range, hiking, tossed in the back of my SUV, etc, etc. During class I usually hang the bag from non-load bearing points (the hydration pass through) with a carabiner, and the stitching there shows no signs of surrender. There are a couple of spots on the lid that have some minor abrasion damage (not sure what from), and I have developed some irish penants (frayed thread ends). The IPs aren't bad or a sign of stitching coming undone, it's just the unfinished ends of the stitching that have worked themselves out into public view. This is easily remedied with careful use of a Bic lighter.

Here's the Abrasion and the IPs on the daisy-chains, which were probably caused from lifting the pack by the daisy-chains.

Attached File  Pack Lid.jpg   468.38KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Side Daisy Chain.jpg   413.18KB   2 downloadsAttached File  Top Daisy Chain.jpg   312.29KB   3 downloads

Here is an example of the stitching on the bottom of the straps. Everything is holding up great.

Attached File  Strap Stitching.jpg   557.5KB   3 downloads

While I'm not interested in doing a full inventory and explanation of my gear, I will provide a quick showing of the contents. It doesn't look like there's much room, but it's always held what I needed it to with room for more. Keep in mind, I make it a point to not pack it to max capacity, just to leave my options open.

Attached File  Pack Contents.jpg   459.57KB   4 downloadsAttached File  Pack Contents 2.jpg   328.33KB   2 downloads

Here are some overall pictures, the ITS Tallboy first aid kit is still going strong.

Attached File  Khard 30 Front.jpg   497.67KB   3 downloadsAttached File  Khard 30 Back.jpg   398.58KB   3 downloadsAttached File  Khard 30 Bottom.jpg   634.56KB   3 downloads

Edited by spenceman, 24 December 2014 - 04:14 PM.

• pira114 likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the review. Love the lever gun! I hunt with a Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt. Love it. I'm guessing that isn't a pic from school? Ha

#3 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:00 PM

No that pic isn't from school, the lighting is no good there. But that rifle did earn me 100% as a refinishing project. It was manufactured in 1906 and the barrel was missing almost all the finish and had deep pitting and deeper gashes in it from a pipe wrench.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

A pipe wrench? That hurts my heart

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

I still really want that pack, I'm convinced it is exactly what I need.

Great follow up review Spence!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

Yeah the pipe wrench hurt my heart, but I got everything out, minus a few shallow marks under the hand guard.

And DStevenson, it is a really good bag. I picked it up when Tactical Distributors had it for $100 off during their winter clearance sale last year.

#7 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

Love mine too, my bag dump was the first topic I posted here I think.

I've had mine about the same time, like the look of the Maxped pouch, might have to pick one up.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:57 AM

FYI everyone, I just noticed this on SSD earlier today. Apparently Velocity Systems is making Khard-specific accessories now. More details at http://soldiersystem...d-series-packs/

• spenceman likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

Very cool Psybain, thank you for the link.

I'm looking into that PALs kit for my Gamut bag, I'm willing to bet it fits just right in there!

• Psybain likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#10 glockfanatics

glockfanatics

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

The panel with the turniquet, leatherman, etc... What is that paracord attached to, to hold those items in place?

#11 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

That's shock cord. And you can get the panel right here at the its tactical shop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arcteryx, Khard30, 3rd Line, Spenceman is awesome!!!, LEAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users