28 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

I found a thread on the Leatherman Raptor shears from last May (here) and a couple people talked about getting/ordering them but hadn't posted a review on them. The first review was great, but I was hoping to know if, after having them for a while, they are still as good as they were new.

I'm interested in them mostly for the size. I'm trying to make a medical pouch from the Maxpedition Micro pouch and regular shears won't fit. If there are other options for shears that fold up or are small, I'm open to that too.

Thanks

P.S.  Moderators, I'm guessing here by creating a new topic. Which is the greater sin? Bringing back a really old topic or creating a 2nd topic when one already exists?

Edited by MightyP, 05 January 2015 - 10:26 AM.

• DeathwatchDoc, Welchpers and Deroylexy like this

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Hi Mighty P!

Here are a few of my personal thoughts on the Raptor. I don't have a lot of time to post a lengthy response - right now - but will give you the short and sweet version.

I received my pair - in the first release, from Leatherman - from my distributor. I fielded them and put them through the paces. They work well. However - and this is a consensus between EMS coworkers, TEMS providers and combat medic friends - they are heavy and bulky, when compared to standard shears. Enough that I keep them in a 72-hour kit and use my current-generation, RipShears - for my daily-use shears. People who wear MOLLE/PALS webbing - typically leave them in the deployed position and attach it to their gear, without the rotating holster - as it sticks-out too far and catches on things.

I do not mean any disrespect, but through my travels (as an EMS provider and an instructor) - most of the people that I know who carry these - not only do so for the utility, but for the "gee whiz" factor, as well. For around a third of the price, and much less weight - a pair of RipShears can do much of the same stuff (plus, they have a glow in-the-dark feature - which is handy in dark areas).

Another interesting anecdote - I, like many, thought that the incorporated ring cutter would be handy. In principle, it should be. However, in practice - I have found that soft metal rings aren't quite as prevalent, as they once had been.

Everything works as advertised. If price, weight and bulk aren't concerns for you - then, by all means, go with the Raptor. Also, I wonder if a Raptor would fit in the Maxpedition Micro Wallet - however, if you were referring to the Micro Pocket Organizer - then you will be fine (just know that when they are collapsed - they take-up a fair amount of space). NA Rescue makes tan and black pouches to carry the Raptor.

Yes, I like them, they serve their purpose and are really cool. However, I tried carrying them daily and am now carrying the RipShears.

In my honest opinion - if time is of the essence, RipShears blow the Raptor out of-the-water (in speed of accessing injuries).

Have a great day and good luck!

Chris

Edited by 911 Healer, 05 January 2015 - 01:19 PM.

• MightyP and EMSWxSAR like this

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

ITS Life Member and Crew Leader

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#3 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

Thanks and that's a pretty solid response!

Short answer is, I'm looking for a good pair of shears that will fit in the micro pocket organizer. I really don't care about the other stuff. I have regular size shears for my larger medical bag. I have no special requirements for the bag or kit. Really, I have the bag and wanted to see if I could make a decent first aid kit that fit in the bag. If it turns out I can't do it, no harm done. I tend to geek out over gear, so I'm asking here before throwing $60 for a gadget I won't use.

So... if you have another suggestion for trauma shears that are either 5.5" or less or can be collapsed to that size, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks again

• 911 Healer likes this

ITSSignature2.png

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

Thanks and that's a pretty solid response!

Short answer is, I'm looking for a good pair of shears that will fit in the micro pocket organizer. I really don't care about the other stuff. I have regular size shears for my larger medical bag. I have no special requirements for the bag or kit. Really, I have the bag and wanted to see if I could make a decent first aid kit that fit in the bag. If it turns out I can't do it, no harm done. I tend to geek out over gear, so I'm asking here before throwing $60 for a gadget I won't use.

So... if you have another suggestion for trauma shears that are either 5.5" or less or can be collapsed to that size, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks again

The Leatherman shears are pretty bulky when folded, I reckon you'd be better off with the smaller version of standard EMS shears, sometimes sold as Nurse's shears.

Or going in a different direction, I'd use a Rescue hook or Boker ResCom for this, super slim and does the same jobs as shears.
  • 911 Healer and MightyP like this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

You did just fine! We actually prefer you to start a new thread if the old thread is pretty dead (read no message traffic for multiple months), so this is exactly what we wanted to see you do. 

89BccLb.png

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

Hi Mighty P!

they are heavy and bulky, when compared to standard shears. Enough that I keep them in a 72-hour kit and use my current-generation, RipShears - for my daily-use shears.

x10000000

This should be the default answer for anyone seeking info on these things.

Rip Shears FTW.

• 911 Healer, Psybain and EMSWxSAR like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

If you want smaller - I'd have to agree with Corbs. However, when you start getting into the rescue hook-style tools - you really need to test them, out on clothing. Some work well - while others wouldn't cut their way out of a wet paper bag (with a tear already started).

...Okay, that was a little dramatic - but understand this - If you want to do a job, right (ie: save lives) then you get the tools proven to do the job - not choose a lesser, mediocre tool - just because you want it to fit in a small pouch. It adds weight and could have questionable value.

If you want the smaller, nurse's shears - not to be confused with even lighter-duty, nurse's bandage scissors - and are committed to this pouch, consider sliding them between your belt and the pouch and use friction to hold them in place. Or better yet - since the material is thinner, go to a tailor with your pouch and a good pair of trauma shears - and have them sew a couple, elastic retention points on the back of it!

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#8 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:52 AM

I just took a look at the Maxpedition Micro Pocket Organizer. I thought that it has belt loops - like its bigger bro. I was wrong. Try the elastic retention points. It's an inexpensive way to get some custom gear and to maximize what you have.

#9 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

And if you are looking for some 5.5" shears - just do a web-search. I haven't come across any - at that size - which knocked my socks, off. 

#10 bigpac931

bigpac931

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

Sharp pocket knife and cut straight .If you are trying to carry the micro for a EDC kit then you should already have a sharp knife with you as part of your EDC . Remember its not the gear we carry but whats is between are ears that counts.

Posted Image

#11 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

Just remember - do no more damage - than what's already been done. I don't want to sound contrary to bigpac - but a pocket knife is less than ideal, when you have someone writhing in pain. Have you cut denim jeans off of someone - with a pocket knife - as they are squirming around, in agony?

#12 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

Just thought of a super lightweight low profile option, SOG V-cutter, they sell the tools separately due to the modular nature of SOG multitools, and one would fit on a keyring or a loop of paracord nicely for this purpose.

Might add one to my kit now I've thought of it.

• 911 Healer likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#13 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

I also like Columbia River Knife and Tool's (CRKT), K.E.R.T. (Key Ring Emergency Tool). It not only has a strap cutter - but an oxygen cylinder wrench, a 1/4" hex driver, screwdriver and a bottle opener!

Edited by 911 Healer, 06 January 2015 - 10:45 AM.

• flashlightsolutions likes this

#14 headrusch

headrusch

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 38 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

I've used this a few times and I've never had to cut off a ring anymore.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DxoAbK5Pc6w

#15 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Found these 5.5" shears on rescue-essentials.com. I definitely like the price point better. I'll let you know what I think of them when they come in.

50_0660_2__38940.1406264168.1280.1280.jp

ITSSignature2.png

#16 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

I won a free Leatherman Raptor in May.

The Raptor is bulky, even when folded. It is thicker than my thumb At first, I tried the MOLLE holster that comes with it, but as 911 Healer pointed out, it is huge, and it catches and snags on anything. I just carry it in my pocket now. I've carried it with me on every shift since I won it, and have yet to use it on a patient. So I can't really say how well it works. BUT, I feel like a standard pair of trauma shears does the same thing for 1/4 the price.  It's a cool gadget, but definitely not worth $60 to me (which is ok, since I got it free). 

• MightyP likes this

#17 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

Just thought of a super lightweight low profile option, SOG V-cutter, they sell the tools separately due to the modular nature of SOG multitools, and one would fit on a keyring or a loop of paracord nicely for this purpose.

Might add one to my kit now I've thought of it.

I also like Columbia River Knife and Tool's (CRKT), K.E.R.T. (Key Ring Emergency Tool). It not only has a strap cutter - but an oxygen cylinder wrench, a 1/4" hex driver, screwdriver and a bottle opener!

Are you guys saying a seat-belt cutter will cut through clothes? I have a couple seat-belt cutters from deployments if they'll work.

ITSSignature2.png

#18 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Are you guys saying a seat-belt cutter will cut through clothes? I have a couple seat-belt cutters from deployments if they'll work.

89BccLb.png

#19 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

So the wife and I both pack Raptors as our shear option but utilize them on an instructor belt around climbing gear when teaching Rope and Rappel techniques.  We bad pocket knives (ever seen rope under load hit with a blade...) so following my definition of leadership (follow me) my pocket knife gets left in the instructor pit.  (After day 1 morning intros when I intentionally talk about it and show taking mine off and leaving it with gear.)

That said - they aren't the 'best' option if you're looking for fully small and light.  However, I haven't found anything they wont cut and the addition of a ring cutter has saved a couple of fingers so far.

• MightyP likes this

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#20 tk_20

tk_20

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationArlington, Tx

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

I have had my Raptors for awhile now and use them at work all the time.. I ditched the plastic holder as I also found it bulky. I keep them in the right front pockect of my 5.11 and have easy access to them to cut off clothes and what not quickly. I think that jone of the best features is the ring cutter on the back side, If anyone has ever had to use that crappy manuel ring cutter that comes standard on any box then you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to get rings of fingers that are swelling. I have used seat belt cutters before to cut clothing and they work well enough. I only had problems using it and had to muscle through the thicker areas of pants around the belt loops.

In comparsion to regular trauma shears there in not much difference they both cut the same. I do like being able to fold the raptors up andplace thm in my pokect using the clip on the side, as I said before for easy access. you can get a couple dozen pairs of trauma shears for the price of the raptors. I have personally lost (or someone stole them) mutiple pairs of trauma shears. I have so far manged to keep my raptors. I believe this is due to the price tag because I will not lose these expense pair of shears. The raptors have held there edge longer than any trauma shears I have had, but this is not really a problem as most will still do the job even dull.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shears, medical, Leatherman, Raptor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users