21 replies to this topic

#1 NLYE

NLYE

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts
  • Locationin your rearview

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

I will be starting field training here in a few weeks and need to get some patrol gear. 

Primarily looking for suggestions on patrol gloves and hats that people prefer.

Obviously, if anyone here uses anything else on patrol that they recommend, I'm more than willing to listen.

Thanks!! 

vt9QnZk.png

"A Gentleman would not want to appear armed, but would not be so foolish as to go unarmed.

Always be a Gentleman. Alway be courteous. Always be ready to kill everyone in the room."

#2 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

After 9 years on uniform patrol, i have gone through all kinds of gear. I recommend to stay away from any shiny or gear other than black or dark navy (if that is the color of your uniform). First, i recommend good quality gear, Dont buy cheap stuff. LIGHTS: like surefire or streamlight work as a great backup light to stay on your duty belt. I carry a surefire P2X as the backup on my duty belt, weak side. I carry the patrol car's streamlight in my weak side pants cargo pocket. thankfully, it is only slightly larger than the 6inches long. It works great as my main light. GLOVES: the past 2 years i have been using the blacked out mechanix wear gloves. Cheap enough to easily replace when you get unwanted funk from a subject on the gloves, but durable and comfortable enough to wear all the time. When i mean all the time, i mean all the time. They are only off my hands during meal break or restroom break. I wear them driving and on calls/routine patrol. That is all i got time for but lights and gloves are an important part of you kit while on uniform patrol. - iEx out

#3 NLYE

NLYE

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

After 9 years on uniform patrol, i have gone through all kinds of gear. I recommend to stay away from any shiny or gear other than black or dark navy (if that is the color of your uniform). First, i recommend good quality gear, Dont buy cheap stuff. LIGHTS: like surefire or streamlight work as a great backup light to stay on your duty belt. I carry a surefire P2X as the backup on my duty belt, weak side. I carry the patrol car's streamlight in my weak side pants cargo pocket. thankfully, it is only slightly larger than the 6inches long. It works great as my main light. GLOVES: the past 2 years i have been using the blacked out mechanix wear gloves. Cheap enough to easily replace when you get unwanted funk from a subject on the gloves, but durable and comfortable enough to wear all the time. When i mean all the time, i mean all the time. They are only off my hands during meal break or restroom break. I wear them driving and on calls/routine patrol. That is all i got time for but lights and gloves are an important part of you kit while on uniform patrol. - iEx out

I picked up a Streamlight Stinger DS LED HL, and used that during some of our training and it's pretty bright. Gloves are the biggest thing right now, being up North. I have winter gloves, but am look for regular patrol gloves. 

Do you have any experience with the "poke proof" gloves for searches and whatnot?

vt9QnZk.png

"A Gentleman would not want to appear armed, but would not be so foolish as to go unarmed.

Always be a Gentleman. Alway be courteous. Always be ready to kill everyone in the room."

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Personally, I'd stick with issued gear mostly until you have some time in. Your FTOs will weigh in on additional equipment you might need. One of the biggest mistakes people make is going out buying tons of gear they don't need before even starting.

That said, the light and gloves are not a bad idea. For gloves, I've never found any puncture resistant gloves that didn't make it hard to manipulate small objects. They also make searching problematic. It's a catch 22. Gloves that will protect you, make it easy to miss stuff. Not wearing the gloves leaves your hands unprotected. It's just something to keep in mind.

Also, I've never seen puncture resistant gloves that were also meant for winter that did both jobs well. You'd be better off getting good winter gloves that you can still manipulate a firearm with, and separate gloves for searching. Then keep in mind you may not always have time to switch.
  • stoddy9311 likes this

#5 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I second the blacked out Mechanix gloves, work like a charm.

#6 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:25 PM

GLOVES: I never felt like the "poke proof" gloves were what i needed. I suggest to wear the gloves you would wear everyday, to utilize careful and consistent techniques during pat down/searches. I would suggest to wash you hands often and if you have any scratches or cuts on your hands, seal them up with new skin and waterproof bandaids. That will limit the risk of exposure to BBPs. Like mentioned before, dont go buy a bunch of extra gear until you have an idea of what you need. Listen to everyone's suggestions but understand what would work for you. Good luck and be safe - iEx

Edited by iExpresso, 13 January 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#7 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

What kind of hats are you looking for? Beanies, baseball caps?

In gloves I value dexterity over all else, gloves designed for that will undoubtedly not have the same durability, so go for gloves designed that way: mechanix, PIG Alpha.

• NLYE likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#8 Billbo

Billbo

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

When I become a LEO I was one of these guys who bought tons of gear. But after a while you will realize what you really need. Sold most of the stuff on ebay. But I think the following items are a good investment:

Gloves:

A big fear of a young LEO is to grap into a injection needle during a control of a junkie or stuff like that. I though a kevlar glove would be the best idea (like this one: Hatch Street Guard X11). In fact I don't like to work with them. You can't operate the radio handheld or anything similar. 

Better choice in my point of view are the Mechanix Originals Gloves (black tactical line). Cheap, perfect fitment, easy to operate with. Now I use a better searching technique and talk with the person. I am pretty sure you will train this a lot. 

Flashlight:

Most of my buddys aren't interested in other flashlights than the ones of the department (and these ones are only crap). With a Surefire (PX Series, or the old ones like C2, 6P, Z2 with a new Dropin from Malkoff) or an Elzetta you can't do anything wrong. For Searching task I have a Malkoff Hound Dog in my car. As a backup light I carry a SF EB1 Backup with Switch Back Grip Ring

Knife/Multitool:

Of course you need a knife on your belt. I just reduce the weight of my duty belt and put my Leatherman Charge Ti in my bag and wear a Pohl Force Bravo Survival Gen 2

Heat control:

If your department don't give you good functional shirts to wear under your concealed vest ... go and buy yourself a Under Armour heat gear or similar. Believe me... Heat control is so important during summer month. 

Last but not least...

I like to use a document light on night shifts like the quiqLite. Really nice for controls during night times. You don't have to put your light into your mouth or between your shoulder and your neck to write something down. 

Edited by Billbo, 13 January 2015 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

#9 NLYE

NLYE

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

When I become a LEO I was one of these guys who bought tons of gear. But after a while you will realize what you really need. Sold most of the stuff on ebay. But I think the following items are a good investment:

Gloves:

A big fear of a young LEO is to grap into a injection needle during a control of a junkie or stuff like that. I though a kevlar glove would be the best idea (like this one: Hatch Street Guard X11). In fact I don't like to work with them. You can't operate the radio handheld or anything similar. 

Better choice in my point of view are the Mechanix Originals Gloves (black tactical line). Cheap, perfect fitment, easy to operate with. Now I use a better searching technique and talk with the person. I am pretty sure you will train this a lot. 

Flashlight:

Most of my buddys aren't interested in other flashlights than the ones of the department (and these ones are only crap). With a Surefire (PX Series, or the old ones like C2, 6P, Z2 with a new Dropin from Malkoff) or an Elzetta you can't do anything wrong. For Searching task I have a Malkoff Hound Dog in my car. As a backup light I carry a SF EB1 Backup with Switch Back Grip Ring

Knife/Multitool:

Of course you need a knife on your belt. I just reduce the weight of my duty belt and put my Leatherman Charge Ti in my bag and wear a Pohl Force Bravo Survival Gen 2

Heat control:

If your department don't give you good functional shirts to wear under your concealed vest ... go and buy yourself a Under Armour heat gear or similar. Believe me... Heat control is so important during summer month. 

Last but not least...

I like to use a document light on night shifts like the quiqLite. Really nice for controls during night times. You don't have to put your light into your mouth or between your shoulder and your neck to write something down. 

I've got at Multitasker Series 3 that I'll probably keep in my bag and a few Spyderco's to choose from for just a knife.

I've also got some Under Armour that should be exactly what I need, at least for the next few months (snow and cold)

The QuiqLite looks neat - is that the one that you use? I saw one officer that had something similar to it during class. 

vt9QnZk.png

#10 Billbo

Billbo

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts

I've got at Multitasker Series 3 that I'll probably keep in my bag and a few Spyderco's to choose from for just a knife.

I've also got some Under Armour that should be exactly what I need, at least for the next few months (snow and cold)

The QuiqLite looks neat - is that the one that you use? I saw one officer that had something similar to it during class. 

Good choice for the knife section. 

Of course you are right! 

Cold gear in the winter month are also very important! I also have a couple of this long arm shirts.

I would buy the cheapest QuiqLite. Runtime of the battery version is really long and if it get broken during an arrest or something... it doesn't hurt so much.

Posted Image

#11 jmonaghan175

jmonaghan175

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHatboro, PA

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

I know this is a bit late but here's my two cents.

Completely agree with sticking to the issued gear. The type of area/department you work in will often dictate what extras you may need. That being said, gloves, a secondary flashlight, and knife/multi-tool are essential. I don't buy into the "poke-proof" gloves. They tend to be too bulky and hard to manipulate. As a K9 handler I carry two sets of gloves for just that reason. My handler gloves are bulky and do not work well for everyday patrol tasks.

Another suggestion is making sure you keep extra sets of everything. Extra socks, underwear, boots, and extra uniform are a must. The first time your feet get wet five minutes into the shift, you'll understand what I mean. Keeping your feet dry is a priority.

#12 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

With flashlights, Ive always been told to carry one more flashlight than the shift that you are on. For example, I'm on third shift so I carry at least 4 flashlights on me.

I have a streamlight protac HL on my belt, a Fenix pd35 clipped to my left pocket, a streamlight protac 2aaa clipped into the front of my vest (emergency light/throw away light for someone), a streamlight stinger in my squad as a search light, and a quiklite under my left chest pocket flap.

I have hatch puncture resistant gloves but I hate them. I can't ever feel anything with them on. I typically use normal latex free medical gloves for my searches. Although I'm gonna have to try out the mechanix gloves now.

My department doesn't let us wear baseball caps so I can't give you any advice on those.

The BEST type of equipment you should have is medical equipment. I carry a tourniquet, quikclot, an NPA, and a chest seal on the front of my vest. On top of that, I have plenty more medical supplies in my squad. It could save your partner's life or your own someday, so always be prepared with medical supplies.

Plus, you'll impress your FTO ;)
Posted Image

#13 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

I'll play!

I love buying gear! Hell, I buy so much gear most of my tax return is writing off work related garbage! Here is what I do

Gloves:

The cloth gloves are fun, but when you start doing body searches, its easy to miss the small stuff deep in the pockets or in the crease of the clothing etc. Then you have the nasty ones. The ones that when you take their socks off in intake a layer of skin comes off with it. *puke* do you really want to do a search of them with those nice cloth gloves and then toss them back in your cargo pocket? Even worse, halfway through your search, find out that your suspect has a "spider bite" on their arm. I like to go to Harbor Freight and get the black Nitril gloves. They are a bit more expensive than the normal gloves, but are also thicker than the gloves your agency will probably supply. Well worth it, and write it off at the end of the year. Save your cloth gloves for when you know you are going into a bad call and will be going hands on, and then get football receiving gloves (with the little rubber nubb things) people get sweaty and wet, and those things will grab on to anyone! I learned that trick doing cell extractions at the county special management unit! 

Flashlights:

Buy a nice light. BUT Do not get caught up on how bright it is, make sure it will last on the battery power! I can't tell you how many times (DirtyTrigger will  back me up on this!) I'd be at the river looking for a body, or missing person and get a blind call for anyone who had extra batteries for a surefire because their flashlight was dead! One hour run time sucks when the call out lasts eight or nine hours! Fenix lights are great for this, and some times (most of the time) you don't need 900 lumens to find the pen you dropped, or to sign a piece of paper, 20 will do just fine! Multiple lights, different lights for different jobs is fine, just be sure to also carry extra batteries! I love my quiqlite BTW, and use it almost daily!

Medical equipment is a MUST! You carry a gun, and work on a two way range, carry a TQ and quickclot and take a basic class on how to use it! If your agency says NOT to use it, ignore that (respectfully).

SNACKS!

you are the new guy, you will get put on the BS duty of watching the scene for your shift, count on it and DO NOT COMPLAIN. you won't get relieved to go get food, so toss some snacks in your duty bag. Water, soda, whatever, and always leave them in there. Even in ten years, do that. Thank me later.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#14 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Don't know if this warrants a new thread, so I'll piggyback onto this one.

How does everyone have their belt setup? Mine currently looks like this

Clockwise from buckle

Cuffs in open top case

OC

Keeper

Weapon

Keeper

Glove pouch

Small of back clear

Keeper

Handcuff strap

Radio

Baton

Keeper

Flashlight

Mags

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#15 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

Don't know if this warrants a new thread, so I'll piggyback onto this one.

How does everyone have their belt setup? Mine currently looks like this

Clockwise from buckle

Cuffs in open top case

OC

Keeper

Weapon

Keeper

Glove pouch

Small of back clear

Keeper

Handcuff strap

Radio

Baton

Keeper

Flashlight

Mags

I always find this interesting, bonus points for pictures though! To all you US folks, there will be a notable absence on my belt...

15479409721_0c944f9be5_z.jpg

I also wear an external vest (all UK officers do, pretty much) which has an AA 5.11 ATAC light for paperwork, a Streamlight Cuffmate on an ITW Grimloc, and pens and paperwork (a lot of paperwork).

• mangeface likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#16 jmonaghan175

jmonaghan175

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHatboro, PA

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

Clockwise

ASP hinge cuff
K9 hot-pop pager
Pistol
Chain cuffs in open top cuff
Nothing on the back
Streamlight Strion
Radio
Taser
Pistol mag pouch mounted on CMI patrol rifle mag pouch

The rest of my gear usually gets tucked into a cargo pocket.

#17 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:22 PM

Clockwise 

Double Handcuff Case 

OC

Keeper with clip 

Pistol

Keeper

Silent Key Holder

Glove Pouch

Keeper with large flashlight/baton holder

Radio

Flashlight (Streamlight ProTac HL)

Baton

Taser

Keeper

Two Additional Magazines

Posted Image

#18 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:27 PM

Clockwise from buckle -

Peerless hinged cuffs in a safariland open top case

Keeper

Glock 22 in safariland ALS

Keeper

Keeper on duty belt only as a spacer

26" ASP in breakaway holster

Peerless chain cuffs in safariland open top case

Keeper

Keeper

Radio

Streamlight Protac HL in a boston leather strion holder

Taser in SERPA

Keeper

Safariland double slimline mag carrier

All on a 32" waist and the small of my back pretty much clear :)

Edited by PSDRyan, 28 March 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#19 Billbo

Billbo

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

--------------------
uniform:
--------------------

12 o'clock - buckle 
01  - Maxpedition key holder

02  - holder for helmet buckle

03  - Walther P99 DAO with Safariland thigh holster

04 - open handcuffs holster
05 - Leatherman Charge TTI

06 - nothing

07 - nothing
08 - ESP Flashlightholster with Elzetta ZFL-M61/ or bored Surefire C2 with custom dropin
09 - spare magazine
10 - baton (tonfa) Holster
11 - pepper spray (horizontal) secured with cable to the belt

2x zipties throug the belt holder (horizontal)

Cargo pockets of pants:
- wedge to hold doors open
- notebook 

- nitril gloves

- Surefire EB1 Backup (with Thyrm SwitchBack Combat Ring)

Jacket:
- radio with ear plug
- Mechanix gloves

---------------
plainclothes
---------------

04 o'clock - P99 with Bianchi pancake holster

08 - handcuffs without a chain in custom kydex holster
09 - spare magazine

pocket of pants: PohlForce Bravo kife

bonowi EKA baton

hip bag: notebook, pen, nitril gloves, mobil, SF EB1 Backup

Jacket: (Hagl√∂fs Spitz II)  radio, pepper spray, Mechanix gloves

Posted Image

#20 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

I always find this interesting, bonus points for pictures though! To all you US folks, there will be a notable absence on my belt...

15479409721_0c944f9be5_z.jpg

I also wear an external vest (all UK officers do, pretty much) which has an AA 5.11 ATAC light for paperwork, a Streamlight Cuffmate on an ITW Grimloc, and pens and paperwork (a lot of paperwork).

You boys need firearms. Too much BS goes on for you all to not have them.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Duty, Patrol, Gear, Leo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users