32 replies to this topic

#1 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Unfortunately I'm living in a state that has some rather inane knife laws and my two preferred carry knives (the AFO 2 and Auto Presidio) are both illegal. I've had both for years and are great, so it hurts me to spend money on a new knife just because of a really dumb law.

So, I'm looking at a new EDC knife for $50 or less.

These 3 seem decent, but I would appreciate some input or suggestions of other options if you have another idea.

The Kershaw Cryo II is probably the most interesting to me because of how it opens, but the Spyderco Tenacious and the SOG Flash II also seem like they'd fit the bill.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#2 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

What are your criteria or what is the law you're working to comply with?

#3 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Whoa, really? I need to do some research then, my understanding of the law here was that unless it could be shown that you had intent to harm someone you could carry whatever kind of knife you wanted. What laws specifically are you referring to?

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 stoddy9311

stoddy9311

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

for the money you cant go wrong with a tenacious or resilience.

i have owned both and carried both for years and they are good to go.

for a somewhat defensive type knife, i carry a Endura fully serrated.

but i was at my local knife store the other day fondling some new knives....and i was shocked at one knife and bought it...

Ontario Rat 1...$25-$30 (I paid $26)...lots of colours blade and handles...so cheap buy two!!

3 1/2 inch blade in AUS-8, weighs about 5 ounces and nice grips (Plastic, not g-10).

plus you can change the clip around to suit you!

#5 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

MN doesn't allow switch blades and defines switch blades as a knife that opens automatically with a button on the handle. Guess how both my Benchmades open. Day to day, it's fine. I just don't want the off chance where I do use it to defend myself to go bad because my knife opens up the wrong way. Nevermind that there are a thousand legal knives that open just as fast...

Both the Benchmades were provided to me by Uncle Sam. I'm still IRR, but I'm not sure that's really going to protect me.

@mysterious: Generally speaking, you are correct, so long as it's not a switch blade (or brass knuckles, I believe). The one thing to be careful of is how "intent to harm" is interpreted. If you have a knife purely for defense, then theoretically, you have intent to harm, albeit intent to harm an attacker to save your life. I may just be paranoid on that one, but knives I carry always have a utility purpose, even if it's to open mail. :-)

@stoddy: Thanks for the suggestions. Except you may have made my decision harder! And is the general consensus that all Spyderco knives are decent?

ITSSignature2.png

#6 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

OK, cool. My EDC knife has a glass breaker and a seat belt cutter on it, so hopefully I'm good, then!

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for clarifying.  I've had good luck with USA made Kershaw's but not with the particular model you listed.  I took a look and all i can say is good luck, they all look pretty cool.  Let us know how it works out.

#8 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:29 PM

For your price range, I'd look for a used spyderco endura wave. I have one that I carried for a few years until I got a real Emerson, but it's a great knife. I'd sell you mine but my wife carries it now

#9 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:25 PM

I picked up a crkt drifter about 2 years ago and haven't looked back! It keeps a wicked edge

#10 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

Kershaw Brawler speedsafe. i got mine from Amazon for ~$22.00.

here is a link to my review:

http://itstactical.c...iew/?hl=kershaw

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#11 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

Spydie!

#12 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

I wouldn't recommend the flash. Sog makes great fixed blades and multi tools but their folders in my experience have sucked since around 2004 or so. The few folders they make that are worth owning like the tomcat are very pricy. For 50 or less Kershaw makes a great line up of edc knives and like someone above mentioned the Ontario rat one is a Damn fine knife. Personally I'd go a little above the 50 and get a delica or Endura from spyderco.

#13 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

Actually picked up the Tenacious a few days ago. Not a bad blade. Nice and sharp. So long as I remember my Benchmade is 5 times the cost, I like it just fine. :)

ITSSignature2.png

#14 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

Post a new thread on durability in 6 months?  If a folder can last a year with me, that's pretty good juju.  My current is on three years and it is beat to sh but it works great.

#15 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

Post a new thread on durability in 6 months?  If a folder can last a year with me, that's pretty good juju.  My current is on three years and it is beat to sh but it works great.

I'm not easy on knives, but I'm also not real hard on them either. I don't use my knife as a pry bar and I use a utility knife for jobs like cutting cardboard or anything exceptionally sticky (I work in food processing, so sticky is an issue).

In any case, I'll post something up in July or so.

ITSSignature2.png

#16 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_sg_img_y

I am carrying one of these most days.  Its a little on the ridiculously huge side.  They made a smaller model originally which I had as well but overall thats a solid knife. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#17 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

Actually picked up the Tenacious a few days ago. Not a bad blade. Nice and sharp. So long as I remember my Benchmade is 5 times the cost, I like it just fine. :)

Great choice! I actually was about to suggest that implement. Some of us were talking about it in the knives thread. 

#18 USAFC5Aircrew

USAFC5Aircrew

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

I have been carrying my Benchmade that I was given in the military, but I have been eyeing the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Knife ... just over $40.

Attached Files

#19 USMC

USMC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

I've carried the flash for year and have had great luck with it. I do recommend the plain blade over the serrated blade though.

#20 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

I carry a Kershaw/Emerson CQC-7K for a few reasons

A) It's farily cheap. When I got it, it was ~$30 on amazon.

B) Wave opening feature. I can open it quickly while there being no gray area surrounding automatic/assisted opening

C) The blade is beefy. The blade has some gerth to it. When it comes to an EDC knife, I don't mind a blade I can do a little more with.

Before that, I carries a Cryo 90% of the time. It's a solid blade form my experience. 

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by x2humbucker, 04 March 2015 - 08:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, knife, Spyderco, SOG, Kershaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users