jmonaghan175

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHatboro, PA

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

I carry a Kershaw/Emerson CQC-7K for a few reasons

EDIT: Spelling

I've been looking at that Kershaw/Emerson (mainly because I think my wife would divorce me if I lay out about $200 on an Emerson). Since it's so much cheaper than the Emerson I was a little concerned about how it would hold up. I've been holding off to see how long it is lasting people. How long have you had yours?

#22 TexCzech

TexCzech

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSouth , Tx

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hard to beat a Kershaw for that price point . I've carried my fair share of them and the have held up better than some of my much more expensive blades . To say I'm a knife nut is an understatement , have a whole top shelf of a safe dedicated to them . Went into a electrical supply store a few months back an ran across a hawkbill style blade made by Milwaukee of all people . Think of a folding version of a carpet knife and it was less than $20 . Turned out to be a nice little knife and I treated it horrible an it never complained .
  • leosavage likes this

#23 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hard to beat a Kershaw for that price point . I've carried my fair share of them and the have held up better than some of my much more expensive blades . To say I'm a knife nut is an understatement , have a whole top shelf of a safe dedicated to them . Went into a electrical supply store a few months back an ran across a hawkbill style blade made by Milwaukee of all people . Think of a folding version of a carpet knife and it was less than $20 . Turned out to be a nice little knife and I treated it horrible an it never complained .

I bought a Klein tools hawkbill at an electrical supply store a while back. The thing was new old stock probably circa 1995ish. They were made for them by Utica and camillus back in the day . the liner lock on it sucks ( I broke mine off upon inspection intentionally) but the blade is a nice little piece of 1095 and holds a great edge . its flull flat ground with very good geometry and mirror polished..well till I forced a patina on it .
The knife still gets some work time and I can tell you its cut miles of cardboard and pretty much anything a warehouses job can throw it it. They are still being made probably by Utica cutlery and brand new retail for about 25 bucks. Not bad to say the least for a honest USA made work knife. If you like that Milwaukee you will love these things .

#24 Alex721

Alex721

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

As of now i carry a SOG Trident. 

For $50 i am fairly impressed with it thus far, i got it at WalMart so the fact that they have decent gear actually available makes me happy enough. Good quality and its holding up nicely, for now. 

My question though is, does anyone have any recommendations about a new blade as sort of an upgrade to add to my system? 

The Trident will be put into my B.O.B. that i am working on currently.

• leosavage likes this

#25 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

As of now i carry a SOG Trident.
For $50 i am fairly impressed with it thus far, i got it at WalMart so the fact that they have decent gear actually available makes me happy enough. Good quality and its holding up nicely, for now.
My question though is, does anyone have any recommendations about a new blade as sort of an upgrade to add to my system?
The Trident will be put into my B.O.B. that i am working on currently.

Sure . only question is what do you want in a knife and how much do you wanna spend?

Edited by leosavage, 12 March 2015 - 06:31 AM.

#26 Alex721

Alex721

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

Sure . only question is what do you want in a knife and how much do you wanna spend?

As long as it works effectively that's all that i'm looking for. Right now Im looking for another EDC/Tactical blade. Fixed or folding makes no difference to me. However i'm looking for for a folding because i already have some fixed blades in mind for another purchase. 

#27 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

I switched.  

Fox Dart and use the Gerber Dime for workaday chores.

#28 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

The Gerber dime is fantastic. I rarely use a multi tool, which means I'm unlikely to carry one. The Dime however is very small and light weight so it's easy to always have on me, and it has handled everything I've thrown at it (within reason). Best part it was only like 15 bucks.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#29 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

The Gerber dime is fantastic. I rarely use a multi tool, which means I'm unlikely to carry one. The Dime however is very small and light weight so it's easy to always have on me, and it has handled everything I've thrown at it (within reason). Best part it was only like 15 bucks.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#30 fusion94

fusion94

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay, CA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'm a big fan (so far) of the CRKT brands. I carry depending on what I'm wearing one of these 3:

• CRKT Crawford Kasper
  • CRKT M16-13SFG 
  • CRKT Ryan Model 7

Posted Image

#31 jmonaghan175

jmonaghan175

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHatboro, PA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

I just bought the Kershaw CQC-8K and I am glad I did.  Seems like a pretty solid knife. 

#32 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

I guess it's a bit out of your price range but this is my carry knife to work, church etc (it's got a reasonably small profile for dress pants etc).

It had the 4 must have features for me

thumb-stud

lock back

pocket clip

Great blade material (Chrome Vanadium)

http://www.amazon.co...ase trapperlock

My weekend/casual carry is a Leatherman with a blade material that escapes me now (cm54 or something like that).  I've never had good luck with 400 series stainless blades.  The leatherman ones are nigh indestructible, but apparently discontinued.  

#33 Diveshootroll

Diveshootroll

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Emerson knife, American made and one hell of a warranty no matter who you are or your title. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EDC, knife, Spyderco, SOG, Kershaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users