18 replies to this topic

#1 milonoblet

milonoblet

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWirral, NW England

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

So like any prepared person you carry a flashlight with you on your keychain... but how do you find it in the dark?

I'm currently considering getting hold of some glow-in-the-dark tape to put on my Fenix E01 - worth it?

#2 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

My flashlight is always in the same location no matter the circumstances.  LF pocket when on the go, and the corner of the nightstand drawer closest to me.  That way I can reach for it and still maintain awareness of my surroundings.  I do the same thing with my keys, I've memorized the feel of the keys and their position on the keychain.  I can grab the keychain and select the correct key without looking and without losing focus.

So, if it helps you then cool, but remember what you can see, everyone else can see too.

• milonoblet likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

Muscle memory and consistent location.  I keep the gear in the same place all the time which makes finding it far easier.   When I am wandering around the light is always in the same pocket regardless.  The other place I am likely to have an issue is the bedroom where the pistol with light is kept in a holster I have mounted to my bed frame. 

• bigfoot and EMSWxSAR like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Weapon light on my pistol...tritium night sights :D

For me it's about everything in the same place every time.  Muscle memory works.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#5 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

Muscle memory and consistent location.  I keep the gear in the same place all the time which makes finding it far easier.   When I am wandering around the light is always in the same pocket regardless.  The other place I am likely to have an issue is the bedroom where the pistol with light is kept in a holster I have mounted to my bed frame. 

Same thing for me. My eyes adjust to darkness pretty quickly, so if I hear something in the night, it's a quick roll out of the bed to get to my closet where I keep my AR and HD mag. At that point, if I need a light, I have one mounted on my rifle.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#6 jmac

jmac

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:29 PM

A tritium key chain does the job.

#7 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Light always on pants pocket.  Light always on pistol on rig.  Light always on rifle.  Always in same place.

That said I found aluminized strontium is a decent (not great) alternative for marking locations. 

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

Here is how I find my pistol when something goes bump in the night. G20 with TLR-1HL.

Attached File  bedside.jpg   44.29KB   2 downloads

#9 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

I do my best to keep everything consistent.  My family feels my vengeance when my things are not where I left them.

Even down to the 6 year old they do a pretty good job of returning my things in particular to their last known location.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#10 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

The understated benfits of night sights, the glowing sights show up on the dark quite well. So weapons are easy to find. This is important to me as I camp a lot and it is completely dark, seeing it in the dark is nice.

Lights are usually handy plus cell phone is always close for immediate light.

That said, some glow in the dark tape sounds handy. Once installed be free, easy and do its job with no maintenance. Can't hurt. Got me thinking about maybe putting some on a few of my flashlights that are more utility purpose.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

The big thing I see with glow tape is that you have to charge it with exposure to light.  From what I remember most of the tapes we used to use didn't last more then maybe an hour at most.  That won't do you much good at midnight.  They are also usually fairly thick and never had the best adhesion that being said that was 10 years ago so who knows how they have improved.  Maybe go the tritium route and get something like this:

http://www.mixglo.com/vials.html

#12 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

The big thing I see with glow tape is that you have to charge it with exposure to light.  From what I remember most of the tapes we used to use didn't last more then maybe an hour at most.  That won't do you much good at midnight.  They are also usually fairly thick and never had the best adhesion that being said that was 10 years ago so who knows how they have improved.  Maybe go the tritium route and get something like this:

http://www.mixglo.com/vials.html

Yeah, back when I was in 12th grade, I jacked a strip of glow tape from the auto museum I worked at because my room in our new house was designed oddly and I kept bumping against a corner of the wall when I would try to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Much to my dismay, it never worked.

#13 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:24 AM

I've considered using glow paint or tape on a door lock I have so I can see that the bolt is locked without having to walk ALL THEY WAY to the door.

I didn't think about the need to recharge with sunlight.. bummer.

Edited by DStevenson, 23 January 2015 - 06:25 AM.

• spenceman likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#14 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

I've considered using glow paint or tape on a door lock I have so I can see that the bolt is locked without having to walk ALL THEY WAY to the door.
I didn't think about the need to recharge with sunlight.. bummer.

I put a small piece of reflective tape under where the knob goes. It doesn't show when locked, which is always. If someone forgot to lock it, I flash my light at it from across the house before going to bed. If I get hit with a little bright spot from the tape, I know I need to lock it. Slightly less tacky than glow tape and guests don't notice it.
  • bigfoot likes this

#15 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

So like any prepared person you carry a flashlight with you on your keychain... but how do you find it in the dark?

I'm currently considering getting hold of some glow-in-the-dark tape to put on my Fenix E01 - worth it?

My opinion, small Glow decals are an good idea. As a matter of fact, i need to do the same to my SF p2x. I have a couple of adhesive strips which are over 10 years old somewhere. I believe they are still good. Anyhow, I use the glow sights on the glock on nightstand to quickly orient and grab the weapon without engaging a light source (turning light on prematurely = announcing to bad guy, hello here i am). In a home defense emergency at night (an event inside the house or outside), i would like to keep my night vision as long as i can and limit the ability for bad guy to observe my movement as i react and grab gear. Eventually using light as needed. Also, Keychain is going to make too much noise. As many mentioned already, muscle memory and to be consistent with placement of your gear, practice getting up and grabbing gear. It wouldnt take too long to have ability to grab blindfolded. It helps Before you go to bed, to recharge the glow decals with any light source. I hope this helps.

UPDATE: The small glow decals look like crap and appeared to have lost their luster. Im not happy but will leave them on since they do not interfere with performance.

Edited by iExpresso, 26 January 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#16 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Could always just use a nightlight, I guess.

#17 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

My opinion, small Glow decals are an good idea. As a matter of fact, i need to do the same to my SF p2x. I have a couple of adhesive strips which are over 10 years old somewhere. I believe they are still good. Anyhow, I use the glow sights on the glock on nightstand to quickly orient and grab the weapon without engaging a light source (turning light on prematurely = announcing to bad guy, hello here i am). In a home defense emergency at night (an event inside the house or outside), i would like to keep my night vision as long as i can and limit the ability for bad guy to observe my movement as i react and grab gear. Eventually using light as needed. Also, Keychain is going to make too much noise. As many mentioned already, muscle memory and to be consistent with placement of your gear, practice getting up and grabbing gear. It wouldnt take too long to have ability to grab blindfolded. It helps Before you go to bed, to recharge the glow decals with any light source. I hope this helps.

With the tritium vials I was more thinking about epoxy or tape to attach it to your flashlight. Jingle free with reference light on gear other then your pistol for 10-20 years. 

Could always just use a nightlight, I guess.

I have a few of these definitely a smart idea to save your shins. 

#18 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

There are some lights with slots machined in them for tritium vials. Wish my EDC light had that, but might pick up some glow in the dark O-rings for my light. Also looking for a low profile tritium for my bag, as that's what I'd need to grab if the house was on fire.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#19 Darth_BeZee

Darth_BeZee

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

I'll echo what a majority have said. I keep my G17 with Light in the same spot. And after that my main hub of gear storage is in the same spot, set behind the closet door. At that point I have rifle, kit, and vest w/ plates in one spot. My closet has essentially turnjed into my "ready room" so everything I need will be in there.

Spelling or Grammar errors brought to you by alcohol or phone apps

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keychain, glow in the dark, tritium, flashlight, torch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users