8 replies to this topic

#1 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

Evening gents. I ran across an app on my phone called tapatalk and its a great little forum reader! I did some checking and it is available across all the mobile platforms. I did some more checking to see if it supported ipBoard (which I believe is what this forum is running on) I was curious how changes are implemented and if this could be a new feature available in the future

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

I use tapatalk on other forums with some success, if it's just a free mod to the forums I don't see why they wouldn't add it though with ever mod you open yourself to more vulnerabilities.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

true enough. internet = vulnerability. its purely a selfish request! would like to be able to read posts in conjunction with some of the others from one interface

#4 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

I don't remember if I'm allowed to link to other forums as a reference or not, but I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.  :beat:

I've seen mixed reviews on Tapatalk from an admin standpoint. It's a great program for the user (I have it and use it on other forums), but I guess there are some behind the scenes issues. The first post in this thread from a OnePlus One forum (here) explains why that forum stopped using the app. I've seen similar statements from a few other forums as well.

But you are correct. It's a great little app for us users.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#5 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

While I’ve never personally used Tapatalk, I’ve seen it’s little popup before on other forums. I’ll certainly make a note about it’s possible use for the ITS Forum in the future.

About a year ago I switched from iOS to Android but I believe there’s a mobile version of the forum available on both platforms (from your mobile browser). There also used to be an IP Board iPhone app but I’m not sure if it’s still out there. 

#6 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

I've tried it before, didn't like it. I do like that I don't get that annoying pop-up while using the mobile site on ITS. The mobile version of IPB is plenty for me.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#7 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

While I’ve never personally used Tapatalk, I’ve seen it’s little popup before on other forums. I’ll certainly make a note about it’s possible use for the ITS Forum in the future.

About a year ago I switched from iOS to Android but I believe there’s a mobile version of the forum available on both platforms (from your mobile browser). There also used to be an IP Board iPhone app but I’m not sure if it’s still out there. 

Thanks mikejulietpapa - I'm on a Windows Phone 8.1 - the www.itstactical.com site does come through as a mobile site however the forum looks just like it does on a PC, and it is functional. Just thought I would ask and see. I'll see if there is an IP board app for my platform. Being in IT infrastructure I know its a complete pain in the ass to please everyone on every device so please dont spend too much time on things! 

I've tried it before, didn't like it. I do like that I don't get that annoying pop-up while using the mobile site on ITS. The mobile version of IPB is plenty for me.

Corbs what mobile platform are you on? I have heard the experience with the tapatalk app is different depending on platform ... on Windows Phone it seems to work great. 

#8 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks mikejulietpapa - I'm on a Windows Phone 8.1 - the www.itstactical.com site does come through as a mobile site however the forum looks just like it does on a PC, and it is functional. Just thought I would ask and see. I'll see if there is an IP board app for my platform. Being in IT infrastructure I know its a complete pain in the ass to please everyone on every device so please dont spend too much time on things! 

Corbs what mobile platform are you on? I have heard the experience with the tapatalk app is different depending on platform ... on Windows Phone it seems to work great. 

Android, my trying it didn't last long.

When I access from my phone, the forum is mobile, when on my tablet or desktop it's the same version.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#9 JFergus7

JFergus7

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

I have been using tapatalk for years and without a doubt once you learn all the little quarks about it you will find that it is so much easier to use on your phone then any other option.  I have brought this up on here before and believe that they were going to look into it someday but nothing ever came of it.  I will say that the web version of this forum is much better then most forums through a browser though but I would still love to see it on tapatalk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users