• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Preparedmind123

Preparedmind123

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

I had a 511 rush 72 for 5 years and love the durability and and layout of the pack. Therefore I just purchased the rush 24 for everyday carry and wilderness trips my worry is my previous pack had metal zippers so I could put a luggage lock through the zippers to stop thieves from stealing. But the 511 bags have the rope zipper pills and no metal loop to put the lock through, how do you guys suggest to lock the bag or keep theifs from stealing from you. I will attach a picture of my zippers on the bag.
  • SurraKart likes this

#2 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Locked zippers can be defeated with a pen in seconds. Keep your stuff secure by keeping it close.
  • spenceman, EMSWxSAR and SurraKart like this

#3 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Sadly zippers are easy to defeat. PSD is right. Just tie them up keep them from quickly picked.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#4 USMC

USMC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

I'm in the same boat as these guys I don't think that is going to stop a thief. You asked how to keep thiefs from thieving....keep your pack on and carry a big stick lol no seriously sad to say but gear accountability ( keeping in site) is the only sure bet.

#5 Hidyn

Hidyn

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

They make a bag that has a wire cable net inside that you can use to secure your gear. It's also designed to be securely attached to fixed objects.

I've never owned one but here's a link to the product. http://www.pacsafe.c...l-backpack.html

Edit: Although I have to say that I agree with the above posters, this would at least make you a harder target. Also, I have no idea where I heard about these bags and can't comment as to the company or it's products.

Edited by Hidyn, 03 March 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

When he says zippers are easy to defeat he isn't lying.

I remember seeing a security video some time ago how airline employees (or other nefarious people) could get into your zipped and locked bag with a ballpoint pen and re-zip it closed without anyone noticing in a matter of seconds.

You can test this yourself without wrecking your luggage.  Jam a ball point pen in between the two halves of the zipper and then just pull the zipper apart.  Then grab the two zipper heads (locked together) and run them the length of the bag and back.  There.. you just broke into a bag and zipped it back up in seconds!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tactical, 511, theifs, stealing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users