11 replies to this topic

#1 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

In my EMT and first aid classes, I have a lot of students ask about using diapers, feminine pads and tampons - on trauma patients. I also find those items in everything from IFAKs (Individual First Aid Kits) to industrial emergency medical response kits and even some ambulances (with the intent of using on trauma patients). This CTOMS "Private Bloggins" post has a rather crass title - but the information contained within, is excellent!

http://privatebloggins.ca/?p=1026
  • CalicoJack, FarNorth13 and Howardnuth like this

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

ITS Life Member and Crew Leader

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

In my tccc class 2 yrs ago, the instructor (retired SEAL corpsman) told us the same thing. Ampons dont stop the bleeding, they just keep you from making a mess. Thanks for posting the link.
  • 911 Healer likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

You bet!

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

That was an excellent article. I'm saving that for my next class. I hear that crap all the time. And I hear it by some pretty switched on guys otherwise.
  • 911 Healer likes this

#5 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

The best thing to do is to find quantitative research/data and case studies regarding, improvised traumatic hemorrhage control. That will help to see what works and what doesn't - and why.

#6 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

There are a ton of resources out-there which discuss the efficacy of improvised trauma dressings - the “Journal of Emergency Medical Services (JEMS)”; “EMS World”; the Special Operations Medical Association’s (SOMA) “Journal of Special Operations Medicine (JSOM)”/Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care (CoTCCC) – are but a few resources.

#7 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for this - would not have known otherwise, and in fact had my RN wife suggest having them around in my car kit.  I've got plenty of Israeli bandages instead.

• 911 Healer likes this

While I breathe I shall defend.

#8 wink

wink

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

Good read, thanks for the added knowledge.

• 911 Healer likes this

#9 Koldsteel

Koldsteel

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

When I read the title of this topic, I rolled my eyes thinking here we go again. Tampon time!!
Fearing a revitalized fascination with cramming sponges into holes. I am pleasantly suprised that maybe this myth will die finally. Good article and well presented. Thanks for sharing

Posted Image

#10 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

I will say though that when I worked at a Boy Scout Camp as their medical officer tampons do work great for nose bleeds. Honestly I would never think of them for serious traumas though.

Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#11 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

I will say though that when I worked at a Boy Scout Camp as their medical officer tampons do work great for nose bleeds. Honestly I would never think of them for serious traumas though.

I wasn't gonna, but I just have to ask. Why did a BOY Scout camp have tampons?
  • Koldsteel likes this

#12 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Not sure actually, there are a lot of den mother's and female counselors that were around so the prior Health Officer to myself must have requested them. I just found them in the health office so I utilized them in the best way I saw fit.

I would have to cut them down as they were adult sized, but they did the job nicely, and I know a rolled up 2x2 would work just as well but it was hilarious to pull one out of my med bag and see the look on a mother's face when she would say "is that what I think it is?"

• pira114 and Koldsteel like this
Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trauma, bleeding control, hemorrhage control, tampons, pads, diapers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users