• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Mates

Michael Mates

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hey guys,Looking to add a quality refillable lighter to the EDC load. I'd prefer something that the fuel won't evaporate/leak out of over time (a problem I've had with zippos or butane lighters in the past). I imagine you gearheads have some good recommendations here.. Thanks,M

#2 XR750

XR750

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

Hi Scripto the pen people use to make a lighter the vu-lite they use to hold fulid for a longtime, I havn't seen them for awhile but they might be worth a look.XR750

#3 ccarnes2009

ccarnes2009

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I've been thinking of the same thing. I'm getting together my EDC bag and wanted to have a good lighter in it. After researching and asking people, they all mostly said to just buy a regular ole BIC disposable lighter. IT takes a LONG time for the fluid to evaporate in those and they are cheap enough to replace and you can basically find them anywhere. Thought about the Butain ones but here again, their fuel evaporates too. SO, I will probably go with the regular Ole BIC lighter. C
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 sigsshooter

sigsshooter

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:50 AM

A unit I served with had a personal burn bag requirement that was to be on our body in the field as well as a Platoon sgt that liked to have us make fires at the wettest and worst times. Mini bics were the weapon of choice, cheap and reliable was y take, as I followed what everyone else carried.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

"I will make you BLEEDOUT before you can Tapout"———- "Doc" 2010

#5 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

I've had good experience with the Bic disposable lighters. They are cheap and fairly reliable. I've never actually bought any because I either find them or somebody gives them to me. Still, I can personally attest to their weather-proofness from the multiple times they were in my pocket when I had to go into the pool after somebody (old lifeguard job). Obviously they were completely submerged but fired right up after drying for a few minutes (between 3-5 minutes). I don't think they are refillable but they are still a good option for EDC. Also, don't forget to post an Introduction HERE (clicky) Christian

Edited by Scuba CN, 13 February 2011 - 03:12 AM.

#6 the1boman

the1boman

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:36 AM

A trick I learned from a survival class I took in Ak is to carry some 000 steel wool in your tinder bag, it lights fairly easily and burns at about 2500 degrees, works really well as a starter base.

#7 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:22 AM

A lighter is not a bad idea, but I would still carry weather proof matches.
Posted Image

#8 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

I keep a Bic on my tac vest in a pouch that my Microtech UTX70 came with, perfect size, and even though I don't smoke anymore, I'm surprised how often it gets used.
Posted Image

#9 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

If you are worried about your BIC, take a piece of cardboard and some duct tape and made a protector for it. I keep them in my hunting packs like this and it ensures that 1) nothing clanks against it, and 2) the button won't get pressed 3) you have some source of tinder. Take the piece of cardboard and wrap it around the lighter on the side of the button making sure the cardboard sits higher than the button. Wrap the tape around it. Simple. I've also seen people tape para cord under the botton for the same reason. *someone* really needs to make a kydex holster for BIC lighter that will protect the button. /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_wink.gif
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#10 Matthew Meyer

Matthew Meyer

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

I have to agree bics are way to go. I've lost so many zippos and had one leak in my pocket and gave a nasty rash. I never seem to lose a box and they last forever. Box made a holder for the minis that have a top to protect the button as well.

#11 Jester

Jester

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

Hey Ken, just Google "Bic" and "Kydex", there are quite a few options out there already.
Posted Image

#12 TxSoldier

TxSoldier

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

County comms website is down currently while they move, but they have a tiny little lighter they call the "peanut".  I picked one up and it's sweet.  It has a little o-ring gasket on it which helps to prevent the fluid from evaporating.  The thing is actually made of, I guess, stainless steel.  Not positive since their site is down and can't look it up for you.  They had videos up of it being run over by a fire truck and everything.  They froze it and broke the ice off of it and it lit right up.  Sweet little lighter, I've enjoyed it.  Worth taking a look at I think.  Here's a few quick pics I took of it to show.  You can see obviously it's very simple.  You can see the o-ring in one pic, and also notice it  has a ring on top so you can put it on a key ring or something similar.   Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by TxSoldier, 20 April 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#13 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hey guys, I found this very neat, durable and effective EDC lighter called the Restoration Hardware Windproof Lighter that's worth checking out. BICs are great, but this ones nickel plated metal, windproof (I tested out the car window) and about the same size, it is also re-fillable. It is no longer available on the website but should be back next Christmas time or you can find it else wear. Amongst other things it also has a cool story behind it (Made in Austria since 1918!). Here's the link anyways: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1399012&categoryId=search
Posted Image

#14 tdbarge

tdbarge

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNOVA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

TxSoldier said: County comms website is down currently while they move, but they have a tiny little lighter they call the "peanut".  I picked one up and it's sweet.  It has a little o-ring gasket on it which helps to prevent the fluid from evaporating.  The thing is actually made of, I guess, stainless steel.  Not positive since their site is down and can't look it up for you.  They had videos up of it being run over by a fire truck and everything.  They froze it and broke the ice off of it and it lit right up.  Sweet little lighter, I've enjoyed it.  Worth taking a look at I think.  Here's a few quick pics I took of it to show.  You can see obviously it's very simple.  You can see the o-ring in one pic, and also notice it  has a ring on top so you can put it on a key ring or something similar

Yup its stainless steel. I think they have one made from Titanium too. They do work as advertised… I had one sitting in a bag for several months and it lit up fine when i took it out. They're pretty sweet little lighters.However,  Bics are one of the cheapest and easiest way to have a lighter or 3 around.

Edited by tdbarge, 31 December 2011 - 02:21 AM.

#15 RealWoodsmen

RealWoodsmen

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

I carry a Bernz-O-Matic miniature torch, it's 4 or 5 inches tall, nice machined stainless steel, plastic tank covering for added protection, and it's refillable, butane. It is a decent light source, but an even better heat source. It's not wind proof, but it gets the job done for lighting a fire. I'd post a link but I don't think they make it any more, I couldn't find it. It's blue, by the way.
"If at first you don’t succeed, call in an airstrike."

Semper Fi, do or die.

#16 RealWoodsmen

RealWoodsmen

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:35 AM

Crooks said:

Hey guys, I found this very neat, durable and effective EDC lighter called the Restoration Hardware Windproof Lighter that's worth checking out. BICs are great, but this ones nickel plated metal, windproof (I tested out the car window) and about the same size, it is also re-fillable. It is no longer available on the website but should be back next Christmas time or you can find it else wear. Amongst other things it also has a cool story behind it (Made in Austria since 1918!). Here's the link anyways: http://www.restorati...yId=search Hey Crooks I am going to be ordering a few of these actually, great find! Thanks! They are available on their site now, actually. For 4 bucks you can't beat the quality and craftsmanship of this crafty device.

"If at first you don’t succeed, call in an airstrike."

Semper Fi, do or die.

#17 Bob F.

Bob F.

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

I carry one of the mini-Bics EDC. Next up the chain-of-command came out a couple days ago and asked a smoker "Ya' got a lighter?" I replied "Here."  "You don't smoke." "Hey, never know when you might wanna light a fuse!"5

#18 txsheepdog

txsheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Using the Kydex article published here on ITS, I made my own Kydex Bic carrier … /wp-content/forum-image-uploads/txsheepdog/kydex_bic.JPG

Edited by txsheepdog, 29 January 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#19 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Glad I could help Real Woodsmen!
Posted Image

#20 TomS

TomS

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I like a stainless zippo... just my 02...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users