37 replies to this topic

#21 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Bob F. said:

I carry one of the mini-Bics EDC. Next up the chain-of-command came out a couple days ago and asked a smoker "Ya' got a lighter?" I replied "Here."  "You don't smoke." "Hey, never know when you might wanna light a fuse!"5/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif

#22 EpicGuy

EpicGuy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

ive been carrying a Rhonson jetlite for the past few months.  its a zippo style torch lighter, good lighter and about $3 at walmart or walgreens. Posted Image

#23 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

if you take a piece of bicycle inner tube and cut a one inch section out of it you can create a pretty solid gasket for a zippo that will VASTLY increase the life of the fuel in the lighter.  I filled one and let it set for close to 14 months before I went back to it.  It lit on the first strike and was still wet to the touch where the fluid retention cotton is. I venture to say that with a really tight gasket you can almost ensure a couple of years worth of sitting and still be usable.  As a side note....I submerged this lighter more than once for close to an hour...no water got through and permeated the gasket.  Now all my zippos get the gasket treatment.
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

langston, post some pictures of your homemade zippo gasket, so I can shamelessly use your idea. /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#25 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Langston, I second the request for photos.  Does the gasket encircle the lighter's body where the hood flips down to close as a seal, or do you use the tire over the interface between the hood and body to make the seal?

#26 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Found this on a Blade Forum.  Pretty sure this is what Langston is describing, but correct me if I'm wrong. Simply put, think condom with the tip cut off.  You have to roll it down to open the hood.  http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaB8KQI0leZVFLVbvoWorUVsSg-mjcIURK3Oy2-1NyzJJOSROuNMghildiBgLink to Website where I found it so no one can say I ripped the image entirely :http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/332839-zippo-woes/page2
Posted Image

#27 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

I use a zippo but put a section of bicycle inner tube around it and creates a very durable seal that make the lighter last so much longer.  I have also found a few simple adjustments will allow for extended use and comfort of the user for the lighter1.  pull all the wading out of the insert and fluff it up.  Its very compact inside the insert from the factory and does not allow for alot of fuel.  By fluffing it you add more airspace to be taken up by fluid.  it also kills the large voids that are created from the tightly packed clumps of wadding.  I found that this adds a few days in between fills on a regular use lighter.  I went from a week of daily use to almost two weeks.2. after filling blot the bottom of the insert with a cloth or paper towel.  this will prevent leakage into the pocket and ultimately your skin. 3. add the rubber gasket (inner tube from a bike) and it will create an airtight seal around the hinge and lid.  waterproofing and leakproofing your lighter.
Posted Image Posted Image

#28 MCGUNNY2004

MCGUNNY2004

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

I have found that the Windmill Delta Stormproof Lighter lives up to its name in quality and reliability. I have had one for years and loved it. Good torch in case you need one.  /wp-content/forum-smileys/thumbup.gif /wp-content/forum-image-uploads/mcgunny2004/41O6qtejQ9L._AA300_.jpg 
"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." -- Sun Tzu
Posted Image

#29 Austin

Austin

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you look around, you can find butane inserts for a regular zippo that produce a soft flame. They don't evaporate, don't smell, cost like 15 bucks a pop, and last for years. So you can have a classy zippo, but never need to refill it. 

#30 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Reviving this thread, as I've been restoring certain family lighters from the age when *everyone* smoked.

I use a zippo but put a section of bicycle inner tube around it and creates a very durable seal that make the lighter last so much longer.  I have also found a few simple adjustments will allow for extended use and comfort of the user for the lighter1.  pull all the wading out of the insert and fluff it up.  Its very compact inside the insert from the factory and does not allow for alot of fuel.  By fluffing it you add more airspace to be taken up by fluid.  it also kills the large voids that are created from the tightly packed clumps of wadding.  I found that this adds a few days in between fills on a regular use lighter.  I went from a week of daily use to almost two weeks.2. after filling blot the bottom of the insert with a cloth or paper towel.  this will prevent leakage into the pocket and ultimately your skin. 3. add the rubber gasket (inner tube from a bike) and it will create an airtight seal around the hinge and lid.  waterproofing and leakproofing your lighter.

Langston...where is the rubber gasket you are creating going, exactly? On the inside of the lid of the lighter, or around the mechanism itself on the insertable action of the lighter?

#31 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

Xikar makes cigar cutters and lighters with an outstanding warranty. http://www.xikar.com...ducts/lighters/
Posted Image

#32 Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPenn's Woods

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

I always have a BIC lighter on me, somewhere; but I prefer to carry an ordinary Zippo. 'Why'? (Use your imagination!) :)

#33 CaptMilkbone

CaptMilkbone

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I carry a blast match for fires but still love and carry my tough as nails Zippo, can use lots of found liquid fuel in a pinch and I also carry the zippo fuel pocket can. Never had a leak and holds flints.
Posted Image
http://images.zippo...._1024754_FS.JPG
•Aluminum
•Swivel snap fastener
•Split ring for keys
•Disk to tighten and loosen flint screw
•Rubber storage sleeve for two extra Zippo flints

#34 CaptMilkbone

CaptMilkbone

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image http://www.zippo.com...aspx?id=1024754

#35 Gadsden11

Gadsden11

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Xikar makes cigar cutters and lighters with an outstanding warranty. http://www.xikar.com...ducts/lighters/

My choice for lighting cigars for some time now. Good stuff!! I do carry mini bics most of the time also.

Edited by Gadsden11, 09 October 2013 - 02:30 PM.

• Scot McK likes this

#36 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

I need to get some fuel for my Xikar. I also need to pick up a box of Man Of War cigars. ;)
  • spenceman likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#37 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

You know, I bought a xikar a while back, and it took a crap on me. It was discontinued, and replaced with another. Within a few months, that one too took a crap, wouldn't hold fluid, and had a hard time lighting. We were smoking two or three cigars a night at work, and I guess it couldn't keep up. A Bic is now in my pocket as we find them all over the parking lots here!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#38 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

Bic hands down. I'm sold on them after I left one in my pants during laundry, and it survived a washing machine. Don't think it went through the dryer, but it survived a heavy duty wash. And if it did go through the dryer, then that's just insane.

I keep a few everywhere I go. Dozens are stashed all over the place.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users