#1 USAFC5Aircrew

USAFC5Aircrew

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hello all …

At work I am not allowed to carry weapons … guns or a knife over 2 ½ inches.

Does anyone have a similar situation and what do you do?

Thanks!

Mike

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

I have a similar situation.

I carry my 3" folder in the very unlikely event I will ever need it.  If questioned about the length I plan to play ignorant, apologize then show up the next day with a 2 1/2 folder.

Is 1/2" going to save my life?  I have no idea, I hope to never find out... but just like with hi-cap magazines... will you ever need 14 rounds?  hope not, but I'd rather have it there then not if the time arises.

I don't know how strict your work is about the 2 1/2" - 3" rule but I would suspect you'd get some warnings before discharge or even negative feedback.

• DirtyTrigger and EMSWxSAR like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

I work at a high school, as a computer tech. I carry several different cutting tools. None of my tools are weapons. With that being said if for some reason I needed it to save my life my tool just became a life saving tool. None of my tools are over 4 inches. Almost every adult and several of the students on campus knows that I have these tools. I also have a baseball bat and a few other things, WD40 and lighter, that could be used to help defend myself in case of an emergency. I hope that I will never need any of them.

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I'm in the same situation. I work at an international airport. While it appears that we don't seem to have a restriction on blade length for knives, I'm not going to try to get a legit fighting knife into the secured area. I do have a toolbox with some fancy gizmos that would make for makeshift weapons should the need arise.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

If you're still aircrew, there's always the break the rules option.  Whenever I was aircrew and we went on the road I brought my concealed handgun. 

If you're out of the military and in a civilian job, you've got the option to say screw the rules, and if you save your life some day and get fired over it because it was against policy, you're out a job with that company, but you're alive and not in trouble with the law (if it's legal where you are to carry)

Edited by PSDRyan, 04 February 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#6 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:53 PM

I don't know my company's so I just quietly pocket carry my Bodyguard

#7 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

It is common in my line of work to have a zero weapon policy on campus including the parking lots and pick up lots.  State law doesn't consider certain types of pocket knives as weapons so I don't either.  

It's a shame that I can remember carrying a pocket knife every day from 13 years old and that included to school where no one cared about it or said one word.  I get well into adulthood and we've litigated and worried ourselves to the point where professional adults have seriously consider if a pocket knife will land them in the soup line.

That grinds my gears.

• mangeface and wink like this

#8 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

I can't carry a gun at work either.. I do carry a knife. Like everyone else has been saying, identify your improvised weapons now. Reference the "improvised weapons" section of the forum:

http://itstactical.c...ovised-weapons/

#9 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

A karambit might make a lot more sense in 2.5" size.  Innocuous impact tools and other "covert" options are available.  But tools are always secondary to hand to hand proficiency and tactics.  Purpose built tools are effective *with* training.  

With h2h skills in place you can choose to set up improvised office weapons all around you.

#10 schüler

schüler

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

...and don't ever show the karambit in the office.  It should be concealed carry, with a 2.5" blade for general tasks.

#11 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Spyderco harpy. The blade is 2.75 in. But unless they regularly check your knife you should be fine. Excuse the smudges and such on the blade I been using it as my work knife lately. For its size I don't think there is a more powerful cutting tool on the market without going full blown custom. The combination of a vg10 hawkbill blade with a spyderedge makes for one devastating tool. Its also a very sturdy little lock back. Not a bad price point either last time I checked they were going for about 75 to 80 bucks

Attached Files

• EMSWxSAR and mysteriousjl like this

#12 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:33 AM

Do you have to pass through a metal detector or get wanded on your way in and/or out? I only ask because I've had jobs like that. Unfortunately, I really don't have any good advice for you.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

How about one of the "tactical" pens? Not the best option, but an option.

I have the 5.11 version 2 pen. It's nice. Writes good and passed the sniff test in the jail where we aren't allowed any real weapons.

There are better ones out there. I don't actually recommend the 5.11 one if people will be able to see it. In a shirt pocket, it sticks up way to far and is obvious. But it blends in with my uniform so most don't notice it.

It does work as advertised. With minimal effort, I was able to stab it about 2 inches into a phone book. Useless as a slashing or cutting tool.

#14 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

Maybe a few options to consider if you are proficient in trap/counter already:

tmbn_ik.jpg

These used to go for about $3 but have since gone up to about twice that.

Zebra701Set350.jpg

#15 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

I always have at least 2 standard pocket knives but neither have the appearance of a fighting knife... in fact one isn't even locking so it wouldn't be a good option anyway.  The non-locking one just stays at my desk, other in my pocket.  Both are Case brand with a good edge.

Someone got fired here some time ago for having a firearm in their trunk... which I actually thought was against state law but haven't heard any more about it.  

I'll never understand the paranoia around concealed carry... bad guys gonna do bad, and in this case you've just disarmed the good guys.  Even our "security" guys are unarmed.

I used to work at a more "relaxed" campus and carried the smaller size (4.25"?) KaBar fixed blade... plenty of people made fun of me for my "big scary knife", right up until the needed to use it as a tool for something.  

Edited by mackguy, 17 April 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#16 Diveshootroll

Diveshootroll

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

As Farcyd07gti pointed out perfect idea and proven time and time again the pen is just as deadly as a knife with steel construction and hitting the right target areas. Also consider a pair of EMT sheers if you must cut things in and area you are not allowed to carry a knife in.  I found these sheers in kydex on the net not sure who to give credit to but great work. 7HHDAId.jpg

#17 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

Fox 599 Karambit and you can use the trainer which is not a knife. As an impact device it is more than capable of dropping your opposition.
Past behavior is indicative of future performance!
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#18 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

First look around you, almost anything can be used in a pinch. A pin, pencil, or letter opener are daggers. Pop the normal office chair apart (no tools needed) and the chair's lift cylinder is a club. Most household cleaners or even coffee can be used to blind a attacker provided the're not wearing glasses. Yes, I prefer a gun, then a knife, but the best defensive tool you have is your mind, open it up to all of the possibilities.  

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users