14 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

I have a pair of Quest 4D GTX that I actually love for the majority of the year.  However I find them too hot for the summer months and my feet sometimes get uncomfortable sweaty, to the point that late spring through mid fall they stay in the closet.

I've been considering getting a pair of non GTX Lowa Zephyrs for the summer months, but my friends keep talking me out it.

Will I regret not having GoreTex in the summer?  I don't spend much time (if any) in the summer slogging through bogs and streams.  My gut tells me that I'll wear a boot like those more (or exclusively) over the summer instead of my Merrell Chameleons, that don't provide a whole lot of breath-ability or backwoods support as is.

Thanks.

#2 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

If you're slogging through streams, then you'd want quick drying, hence non-GTX. Follow your gut.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#3 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

It definitely appears that breathable boots are becoming more popular than waterproof. Both of my current pairs of hiking boots are "waterproof." My next pair will definitely be breathable and quick drying. I hate hot, swampy feet. I'd rather get wet feet and have them dry quickly in a breathable quick drying boot, than have to be careful where I step and risk days of swampy feet after a river crossing in a "waterproof" pair of boots. I vote breathable boots for summer. Depends on your terrain and climate though. Wintertime here in Alaska I definitely want waterproof boots!

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:55 PM

Moisture on your feet sucks. Whether it's from water or sweat.

Think of your footwear as a system. Meaning your socks are just as important.

So I'd vote for a breathable, quick drying boot coupled with lightweight mostly wool sock.

The only time I stress about waterproof boots is when I hunt. But that's because I hunt frequently in sub freezing temps and often have to walk across streams/creeks, then sit still for long periods. You don't want wet feet in that situation
  • HTEngineer likes this

#5 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

Moisture on your feet sucks. Whether it's from water or sweat.

Think of your footwear as a system. Meaning your socks are just as important.

So I'd vote for a breathable, quick drying boot coupled with lightweight mostly wool sock.

The only time I stress about waterproof boots is when I hunt. But that's because I hunt frequently in sub freezing temps and often have to walk across streams/creeks, then sit still for long periods. You don't want wet feet in that situation

Amen brother. I always kept a pair of mickey mouse boots on hand in the truck when I lived in Michigan during deer season. They are beyond heavy and cumbersome but on those fearsome cold days they were worth their weight in gold . for hikers I like lowas but I know a guy that has years more experience than me that won't even consider hitting the trail in anything but boots by a German company called meindel ( I think that's how its spelled) I've only seen them in cabalas and they look great .. The price tag on the other hand doesn't lol

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Climate is everything....

If you're allowed only one boot I'd go with breathable.... You can still wear it in the winter but suffer the drawbacks with cold feet.

The Solomons I wear daily are breathable, and since I'm in Michigan it can get uncomfortably cold at times, but I sure do love them the 3 other seasons.

My personal preference is a good set of breathable boots/shoes for daily wear, but keep some "duck boots" around for the heavy winter stuff.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I think as we get closer to spring/summer I'll put my Salomon's in the closet and maybe invest in the Lowa's (or something similar).  As an added benefit it will also prolong my boot life for a bit I'd assume.

#8 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Also, LOWA boots are awesome. I've been eyeing up those ones, use their mega camps on duty and desert elite all the time.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#9 Alexander Garbuz

Alexander Garbuz

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

I LOVE my Lowas Zephyrs (not GTX). I wear them pretty much 365x24x7. 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 HTEngineer

HTEngineer

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

Breathable for 3 seasons and waterproof breathable for the winter if you're going to be stationary (hunting, backpacking with snow, etc.). You don't want to be sitting around in freezing temps with wet feet. You could try the Arc'teryx dry socks and see how they work. That's essentially what waterproof breathable boots are in a way, don't know how well they work though.

Remember, waterproof breathable boots are just like your jacket or pants, keep them clean (use DWR friendly detergent) and the DWR working!!!! When water starts soaking the outside, your boots/jacket/pants are essentially non-breathable at that point. REI has good gear upkeep pages. I use the stuff Arc'teryx recommends, Granger, on my non Arc'teryx gear (because they don't make tall sizes). My roommate who is an Arc'teryx fanatic uses Nikiwax. Also, keep in mind the barrier in the boots will break down eventually and then your boots will be non waterproof, but still impermeable. I've had good luck recently just DWRing some Blackhawk combat boots in KS, but we don't get as much snow as some of you, and I wasn't doing anything critical.

On this forum, I don't know if this needs repeating: "buy once, cry once" go and spend a couple hours trying on everything to see what you like if you're going to be wearing them for awhile.

• smokey likes this

#11 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

I just ran across these - advertised as breathable and waterproof - http://www.amazon.co...f=cts_sh_1_fbt 

i've been looking for a good everyday boot as well ... 

#12 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

Breathable... my feet will get wet at some point and I have found waterproof are just too slow drying out once it happens.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#13 nitaliano

nitaliano

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

I usually go waterproof, but I spend a lot of time hiking in areas that are wet.  I have not had much luck with boots that claim to be waterproof and breathable, but I do find that wool socks help.

#14 FlashBack

FlashBack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 105 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

I LOVE my Lowas Zephyrs (not GTX). I wear them pretty much 365x24x7. 

I was just gonna ask on opinions on the LOWA boots...thanks!

Posted Image
Disarming Victims Doesn't Solve Crime.

#15 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:29 AM

I love my LOWA Zephyrs. I have been wearing them for years. I have about 7 pairs now in various states of wear. Each year I buy a GTX and regular model and half the time I forget which ones I'm wearing. I truly don't notice much of a difference.

Oh, and for you math wizards, the Odd number is bc I have a civie pair too from before they came out with the Task Force line. I find that the Tongue goes on the boots before the the soft tread btw. The boots still function but the tongue wears out just above my toes on the tops of my feet and make them super uncomfortable.

SOS

Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users