#1 Harps

Harps

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

I received a pair of the Chase style boots  as a replacement after my first pair (Classics) blew out after a couple weeks in Ethiopia.

Both pair feel nice and have decent traction. But...

On the Chase boots the side-zips will not stay up!
I mean, I don't have dainty marathon runner calves, but they aren't abnormally large, either.

I had put the boots away for winter in 2013 and haven't needed them during summer travel (far north) for the past year or so. 
I started wearing them this fall and a couple days over the winter, but can't go more than 1/2 hour without the zipper completely opening.

And suggestions on how to fix them?

Thx,
Harps

#2 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:30 AM

Are you putting the Velcro tab over the closed zipper or below it? This is why I won't go for zipped boots.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

You might try pulling the zipper tab out above the velcro to see if maybe that keeps it up as well.  I use a set of bates side zips for the hangar deck at work but I wouldn't exactly consider them had use.  Generally if I want good solid boots I get belvilles. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

I agree with B3dlam, when I need boots I can rely on, I get Belvilles. I also usually shy away from zip boots... 

89BccLb.png

#5 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

I've got belleville side zips and they've never come unzipped or blown out. Velcro tab at the very top keeps it from moving.

I've seen the zipper blow out on some bates before, and seen them fall down on cheaper brands.

#6 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Never had any Belleville boots but I've herd nothing but great things about them. I own several pair of danners and I can tell you once they are broken in they are nothing short of awesome boots . my hunting boots are 10 years old or better and have pretty well been through anything you could imagine and are still going strong. I don't think they are still in production ( danner frontier gtx) and they are Chinese made danners ..the american made line are even better if that is any indication.

#7 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

As this has become a recommendation thread, Lowa boots are awesome.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#8 Harps

Harps

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

I've tried the Velcro above and below the zipper, but nothing. I've resorted to leaving the top hole unlaced and warping the laces around.

I'll have to look at Lowe and Belleville boots, but options are limited here.

Since I'm in water a lot, I was looking at moving to a more amphibious boot. Any thoughts on the FiveTen boots?

#9 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

I can't suggest much on boots but maybe a small knot of Paracord to help keep the zipper more of a bulk when the Velcro tab is pulled over?

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#10 Harps

Harps

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

I can't suggest much on boots but maybe a small knot of Paracord to help keep the zipper more of a bulk when the Velcro tab is pulled over?

That is worth a shot.
Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users