20 replies to this topic

#1 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

How do you all concealed carry in the gym? Or while exercising out of the gym (i.e. running, biking, etc.)? Lately I've been carrying in my bag at the gym, but I really don't like off-body carry at all. Gym clothes just don't give me as many options.

• Patoli likes this

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

With the Gym, Rink or Biking I do different things, none of which will make you happy.

When biking I just pack it in my backpack/camelback so while it is off body, I do have it in a pinch... nothing I can get to quickly if needed.

At the Gym or Hockey rink I leave it in my car =(

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:40 PM

You're right, none of those make me happy  :P  But thanks for your insight anyway. Today, I went to the gym without a gun for the first time I can ever remember, just to see how it would feel. Not lugging a bag around with me was very liberating. But, there can be some intimidating folks in the gym, who can pick things up and put things down a lot heavier than I can.  I'm not planning to get into a fight, but if I end up in a sticky situation, I want the reassurance of knowing I have the upper hand. Anyone else?

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

I just keep my Saiga slung on my back, nobody F's with me. Jk. I saw an article not too long ago about someone using a padded pistol case from hazard 4. It was discreet, and looked like he was just toting his ipad around. Which depending on your neighborhood could make you more of a target. But most gyms are full of decent dudes that just want to jack some steel.

Found it: http://www.breachban...lo-pistol-case/

Edited by spenceman, 09 March 2015 - 06:01 PM.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#5 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

Reid Hendricks just did a video for this. He suggests what is called a smartcarry, it fits inside pants next to your junk. Here is the video

• Koopa and EMSWxSAR like this

#6 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

@Speceman, that case is a really neat concealment option. It is completely discrete, but it is off-body, which is what I'm trying to move away from.

@hrddrv, thanks for the video. Smartcarry looks like a good option for sure. I'll add that to my wishlist - my birthday is coming up.

Thanks for your responses everyone!

#7 rottenit

rottenit

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in MN thats not cool

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

I haven't been carrying a handgun into the gym (leave it in the glove box). Really interested in where this goes tho.

Did have a "incident" with my knife in the gym. I was in the locker room and I keep a SOG trident folder in my left pocket. I started to change, dropped my pants, kind of flung them up (I was in a hurry) and the damn knife fly's out of the pocket, opens mid-air and starts to sail across the locker room point first. Luckily there wasn't anyone around, I don't carry that knife anymore. The safety would disengage from just taking stuff in and out of the pocket.

#8 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

Sounds stupid, but I think fanny pack is the best option here. A lot of people still use them in the gym to secure their wallet/keys if they don't trust the locker rooms. Or just don't use them.

Get one in a color other than black and it probably won't raise suspicion. Worst case scenario, people think you're just an idiot who still thinks it's 1989.
  • spenceman, MightyP and Koldsteel like this

#9 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Sounds stupid, but I think fanny pack is the best option here. A lot of people still use them in the gym to secure their wallet/keys if they don't trust the locker rooms. Or just don't use them.

Get one in a color other than black and it probably won't raise suspicion. Worst case scenario, people think you're just an idiot who still thinks it's 1989.

Hey if you use a head band, sweat bands on your wrists, a cut-off midriff sweatshirt and leg warmers you'll fit the bill perfectly.
Heck, giant headphones are already in, so that's not even a stretch anymore.

On a serious note I did some working out with my smartcarry type holster yesterday, and I think a fanny pack is really the best option.

Deadlifts are kind of a no-go since the bar ends up resting right on the gun. I work out at home, so I just pulled my pistol out and set it to the side, but in a gym that isn't an option.

Hanging leg raises caused the gun to dig into my stomach a little, but that was at least manageable.
I didn't do squats or back extensions, but I can imagine that the gun would be an issue there as well.

The fanny pack is good because you can just twist it around out of your way.

• Koldsteel likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#10 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

Anyone try a bellyband?

Posted Image

#11 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I ordered a SmartCarry holster and it came yesterday. I'll test it out for a week or two and post a review. My first impression = walking around with a loaded gun strapped to my dick is going to take a lot of getting used to!

#12 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

Might want to freeze some swimmers in case you get an ND and end up with ED...

• mangeface, Trad, MightyP and 2 others like this

89BccLb.png

#13 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

LMAO! well said Doc

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do
anything with nothing." Unknown

#14 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

It's been almost a month. Any feedback on the smart carry? I've been thinking about something similar for running. Haven't been able to bring myself to rock the fanny pack...

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#15 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

Sorry for the delay guys. As soon as the holster arrived, I had a variety of situations pop up. Review is posted here: http://itstactical.c...tcarry-holster/

#16 Diveshootroll

Diveshootroll

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:17 PM

If you are going to carry concealed in your gym, contact them by phone and ask if they have a no firearms policy. Why by phone? so if they do you will not raise suspicion to staff that you may be carrying a gun in your locker or bag or left in your car when working out. Nothing worse then a stolen gun. OPSEC is everything. 

#17 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:15 AM

If they have a no firearm policy, you also need a new gym. Vote with your wallet.
  • CrazyD likes this

89BccLb.png

#18 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

My gym allows firearms. 

#19 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

5.11 fanny pack holster looks very small but will holster most pistols. 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#20 BrianTX

BrianTX

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

When I'm at my usual big box gym with weights and treadmills I have a Maxpedition bag.  Holds a towel, wallet, water, etc.  So much stuff gets stolen from locker rooms and gym parking lots.  If your gym actively focuses on people not having firearms, they probably should probably mind their business and re-focus to promoting proper nutrition, hydration, etc.

If i'm at the crossfit gym gear stays in the car as the gym is fairly wide open so no secure place to leave valuables, plus some of the workout is in the parking lot, I can keep an eye on my vehicle.  Similar concept for krav gym.  Plus you don't bring weapons to krav class or BJJ or any of those other classes.  You are the weapons!!!

• Koopa likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gym, fitness, ccw, concealed carry, gun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users