19 replies to this topic

#1 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

Is anyone looking at purchasing the Apple watch? I'm an apple junkie but am weary of wearing such a device that isn't waterproof and seemingly durable. I wish I could wear it at work but I guarentee it would break the first day I'd wear it.
  • DanielGen likes this
Posted Image

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:36 AM

I had pretty much the same reaction to it. I'm hard on watches, which is why I usually just don't wear one.

89BccLb.png

#3 ffemtp

ffemtp

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

I am also an Apple junkie and am "considering" the watch. I also have the same concern you do: durability especially in wet conditions. I was hoping the Sport edition would be built to tougher standards, but I don't think that is the case. The only difference I see is an aluminum casing versus a stainless steel casing and a different glass. They all are water resistant but none water-proof. One thing to consider is the glass itself. The Sport has the "Ion-X" glass and the "Watch" has the "Sapphire Crystal" (which I believe is the same glass used in the iPhone now as opposed to Gorilla Glass).

Most likely, I will look at them at the store and consider it then.

Also, you do have the option of adding Apple Care which will allow you to replace it twice under almost any condition as long as you have most of the watch in hand.

#4 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

I thought I was going to but I'm hesitating now. I Can easily see myself breaking it at work or during off time as I'm pretty rough on gear. With it being the first version as well I know there are going to be issues and I certainly don't want to be a guinea pig.

I think I'll let them come out with one or two more versions before I bite the bullet.

#5 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

The other odd point is that the sport version won't have GPS built into it. I don't get how it can be a "sport" version if you can't track your running routes, etc.
Posted Image

#6 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

The other odd point is that the sport version won't have GPS built into it. I don't get how it can be a "sport" version if you can't track your running routes, etc.

Oh really? I didn't know that....wow that's kind of a big miss. All I wanted was the sport model.

#7 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Oh really? I didn't know that....wow that's kind of a big miss. All I wanted was the sport model.

From what I've seen, the GPS function on the sport works if you have your phone with you. But if you don't have your phone with you it won't work, unless the spend the extra $$$ to buy the upgraded version.
Posted Image

#8 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:56 PM

I don't think the juice is with the squeeze at this point, maybe the gen 2 or 3 will have more wow factor. Also Apple tends to cater to a crowd with different needs than most of us here, so we may be holding our breaths for a long time waiting on a rugged gunfighter friendly version.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#9 z0phi3l

z0phi3l

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:49 PM

I see most smartwatches, not just the Apple one, as overpriced trinkets or toys, the Apple one is just a prime example of Apple becoming a fashion brand that started with the iPhone, and the purchase of the Beats brand helped more realize that, Apple is more concerned with looks and "style" than function, the prices for the "watch" being a good determining point 

#10 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

I don't think the juice is with the squeeze at this point, maybe the gen 2 or 3 will have more wow factor. Also Apple tends to cater to a crowd with different needs than most of us here, so we may be holding our breaths for a long time waiting on a rugged gunfighter friendly version.

The ubiquity of the thing could lead to rugged case/straps coming out.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

http://www.heartrate...h-oyhoCWO7w_wcB

I am leaning towards something like this.  I have two coworkers sporting them and they both really like them.  The article mentions swimming and showering with it so I am guessing waterproof.  

• shimy3 likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#12 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 24 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

I am leaning towards something like this. I have two coworkers sporting them and they both really like them. The article mentions swimming and showering with it so I am guessing waterproof.

Description says it's waterproof to 5 ATM. Plenty did this kind of device. This version looks really cool.

I have a Fitbit Flex and while I like it okay (got it free from a giveaway), there are some things I wish it had. Waterproof, a display and the ability to vibrate as a notification about something on my phone. The vibrating alarm feature is great though.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#13 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

Description says it's waterproof to 5 ATM. Plenty did this kind of device. This version looks really cool.

I have a Fitbit Flex and while I like it okay (got it free from a giveaway), there are some things I wish it had. Waterproof, a display and the ability to vibrate as a notification about something on my phone. The vibrating alarm feature is great though.

I too did a FitBit Flex for a while and while it didn't have a clock display it was waterproof, but I don't recall the depth.  The vibrating alarm was indeed nice but the one feature that I liked that almost made me keep it just for this reason was the wakeup alarm and sleep monitor.  I swear I never woke up so refreshed.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#14 Diveshootroll

Diveshootroll

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

New update on the apple watch the screens are shattering,  they are made out of the same glass as the iPhone and not holding up to day to day real life.

Edited by Diveshootroll, 29 April 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#15 rottenit

rottenit

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in MN thats not cool

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

I am leaning towards something like this.  I have two coworkers sporting them and they both really like them.  The article mentions swimming and showering with it so I am guessing waterproof.  

My trainer has one of those and wont stop talking about it. He never takes it off (i'm guessing he does once in a while to charge it). He likes the vibrate to wake alarm clock feature. He is a powerlifter and hasn't managed to trash it yet.

They have been popping up on Amazon's gold box deals every so often.

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

Another news update about the Apple watch is apparently it doesn't work when worn on heavily tattoo skin. Weird.

http://mobile.geek.c...www.google.com/
  • mangeface likes this

#17 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:32 AM

Another news update about the Apple watch is apparently it doesn't work when worn on heavily tattoo skin. Weird.

http://mobile.geek.c...www.google.com/

HAHAHA! I can see it, "Well sir, according to your Apple Watch you're dead!"
  • HTEngineer likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#18 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 03 May 2015 - 01:42 AM

Anyone else notice that apple's "innovations" are becoming less impressive with each release?

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#19 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:47 AM

Just buy a bulky life proof case for your apple watch and quit your bitching...

• spenceman likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#20 nitaliano

nitaliano

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

Having had a couple of smartwatches, they are not suitable for any rough activity.  Screens scratch easy and a little bit of water does serious damage.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users