4 replies to this topic

#1 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

Well, it was REI dividend and coupon time, so I picked up blade that has been on my radar for several months: The Benchmade Bushcrafter

I REALLY like my Mora Bushcraft SS knife, and wanted something a little heavier and little nicer.

Attached File  image1.JPG   273.41KB   0 downloads

A quick rundown of features:

- S30V stainless, full-tang blade

- Saber grind

- Contoured G10 handles held in place with flared titanium tubes

- Leather sheath with plastic liner and loop for firesteel

So here are some of the things I like about it so far:

- VERY sharp out of the box, I have not had to resharpen yet, so I will follow up with what I think about sharpening s30V.

- The handle countours feel great.  I was a bit concerned since I have medium sized hands, but it fits well and I anticipate that it will fit a range of hand sizes well.

- Showers sparks from the spine when used with a firesteel.

- Blade size is a great balance between a survival and everyday use knife.

- The hollow titanium tubes leave plenty of options for lashing and lanyards.

- In hand, this is as nice as any custom blade I have held, and at a reasonable price (approx. $200). 

What I think could be better:

- Would really like to see a small amount of jimping on the spine.  Not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

- I am stoked it comes with a leather sheath, but the plasic insert does cover the business side of the blade, and I can see it possibly cutting through the sheath over time.  Also, a leather dangler would have been a nice addition (I ordered one online for $5). 

I will update after it gets some field time.  If any of you have experience with this blade, feel free to post away!

• Patoli likes this
Posted Image

#2 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

Oh, man. I just got my dividend in the mail last week and was wondering what I was going to use that 20% coupon on.  How big is it? 

While I breathe I shall defend.

#3 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:18 PM

Oh, man. I just got my dividend in the mail last week and was wondering what I was going to use that 20% coupon on.  How big is it?

The blade is just under 4.5".
Posted Image

#4 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Sharpening CPM s30v or any CPM steel really your gonna get your best results with diamond stones. It almost feels like the steel slipps across a natural stone with powdered steels due to the tighter grain alignment. Naturals will work on the s30v but they won't do you really any good on anything harder like m4 or 3v . you will just be wasting time , steel, and stone.

#5 B+Shooter

B+Shooter

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:08 AM

I've been kicking myself for not buying one I saw at Sportsman's Warehouse for $99

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bushcraft, Benchmade, Knife, Survival, s30v

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users