7 replies to this topic

#1 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

An incident the other day had me thinking about this.  I carry on my person 24/7.  Some people think it's crazy that my gun isn't just nearby, but on my hip at home.  I was in the kitchen grabbing a snack, and someone tried my door handle.  Glock was out, ready to rock, with me posted up behind the wall ready to shoot whatever came through the door.  The deadbolt was locked and they gave up.  Just opportunistic burglars looking for unlocked doors.

Had they kicked the door in, and my firearm were left on the living room couch where I was before getting up to get a snack, I would not have had time to get to it.

Something to think about...from where you're at now, run to the front door.  How long did that take?  From where you were, how long does it take to get to your nearest firearm?  Add another 2 to 5 seconds for reaction.  Did your path intersect your path to the front door?  Can someone get from the front door to your intersection point within a second or two of how long it takes you to get there from where you started?

Keeping a gun in the next room, nearby, etc may save your life if you have time to get to it.  Keeping one on your person gives you what may be a necessary edge.  Don't be lazy.  Are you really prepared to defend yourself in a home invasion, or do you have a false sense of security?

• spenceman, mangeface, Corbs and 2 others like this

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

I normally keep my pistol on my person at home unless I am in my room, which it's on the desk not more than an arms reach away. I even take the thing into the shower with me (well, not into, but on a shelf next to).
  • PsychoFish, PSDRyan and EMSWxSAR like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:44 AM

This is a good reminder for me.  Thank you.

Posted Image

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

I certainly don't carry 24/7, but I do carry whenever I can.

I can't carry at work, so I will sometimes keep my sidearm in my glove box, especially on key days (9/11, 1/1, 12/25, etc) because I feel people become extra opportunistic trying to take advantage of someone on a holiday or on a day where their thoughts may be someplace else.

Many times I'll keep my smaller carry on my hip at home out of convenience... I just didn't walk it to the desktop gunvault in my home office since getting home.

Heck, I've even caught myself mowing with it on my hip because I just didn't think to take it off.

While I absolutely respect the thought of keeping it on your hip 24/7 (or other carry locations of course), with 2 younger kids, living in my cushy highfalutin neighborhood, I sometimes become complacent, and it would have to be something like what happened to you to change my mindset.  An obvious predator at my door trying to take advantage of someone or endangering their live and that's is when it's sometimes too late.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did, good job keeping your head on a swivel.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

Funny you say that Shimy, I take a pistol to the bathroom with me when I shower as well.

• mangeface likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#6 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:01 AM

Thought-provoking post

#7 Diveshootroll

Diveshootroll

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

I invested in security doors all metal that open out not in more difficult to kick in also alarm system is upgraded as the new ones come out and get better. Security cameras have been a deterrent more than anything this far. If someone is going to break in a door it will take more than 20 seconds to get in and make hell of a lot of noise. But I have a gun on me 95% time but never actually have had anyone try to break into my home then again I have been told more then once it looks like Fort Knoxx more and more with each upgrade. 

#8 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Outstanding post! My wife thinks I am nuts, but we also have a bite trained dog in the house. Which is a definite advantage, I still keep my gun close for shithead #2 though.
Past behavior is indicative of future performance!
CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users