13 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

There is a lot of bad press being spun out there, and in some cases by an overly aggressive and unchecked media.

To all the LEO's around here, thanks for what you do, keep your head's held high, and know there are alot of us out there that still respect and support you all.
  • spenceman, PsychoFish, SwatDawg335 and 16 others like this

#2 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

I'll second that.

• Chris Anders likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#3 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:42 AM

Thank you.  Stay safe everyone!

Posted Image

#4 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:49 AM

emBark, you're absolutely right.

I even have a friend/associate that is bad mouthing the police making sure to point out every youtube video showing the one sided stories.

My only real reproach is to state that he'll be the first one begging for their help when something isn't going so smoothly.

Are there bad cops? Absolutely, I don't think anyone would disagree.

LEO's are put into bad situations and they have to do their best to make it right AND get home to their families at night.

• spenceman, Chris Anders, DieselD and 2 others like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:00 AM

I agree with the above. Keep your heads on a swivel. With all the Cop Block mother fuckers out there bad mouthing and talking about what they're going to do to law enforcement officers, it's only a matter of time.

Also, keep your cool with these "superhearo" cameramen. Now days it seems like people follow cops with cameras hoping to catch the next "big thing". So if you're taking down a suspect and have one of those super ballsy ones in your face with a camera, politely tell them to get out of your face. If they're non-compliant, forcefully tell them. Still non-compliant, shove them back. I would hope they would get the point then.
  • Chris Anders and EMSWxSAR like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:11 AM

But they never do Mange, they want the altercation.

• mangeface and Chris Anders like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

Ask them, tell them, make them. Words to live by.

If people just realized that 99% of the time, they dictate how their LE encounter will go, then maybe there'd be less asshattery. If you don't put the cop in a position where they have to do their job, then we wouldn't have half the bad press that we do.

Maybe.

• Chris Anders and EMSWxSAR like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#8 Chris Anders

Chris Anders

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGranite Falls, NC

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

There is a lot of bad press being spun out there, and in some cases by an overly aggressive and unchecked media.

To all the LEO's around here, thanks for what you do, keep your head's held high, and know there are alot of us out there that still respect and support you all.

It is good to hear that people still support law enforcement, but it doesn't help when a few LEOs make poor decisions that make us all look bad.

Nunquam non parati

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#9 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

Ask them, tell them, make them. Words to live by.

If people just realized that 99% of the time, they dictate how their LE encounter will go, then maybe there'd be less asshattery. If you don't put the cop in a position where they have to do their job, then we wouldn't have half the bad press that we do.

Maybe.

Problem is they want the asshattery; it places bad light causes bad policies which in turn makes criminal life easier. Just like criminals support stiffer gun laws; it makes their job safer!

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:01 AM

It is good to hear that people still support law enforcement, but it doesn't help when a few LEOs make poor decisions that make us all look bad.

Before I go into what I'm about to say, I need to preface it with this. I know what I'm about to say about that comment isn't what you're trying to say, so please don't take offense.  Also, your statement is true.

I hate when the discussion of LEO support goes to the answer of "the bad few", because what it's really doing is throwing good officers under the bus.  Of course there are bad apples.  They're very rare.  Also we're human and prone to mistakes and emotions.  And of course we want those bad apples gone.  But when we talk about the bad few, who are we talking about?  It usually comes up in a discussion about Brown in Ferguson, Garner in NY, Villalpando in Grapevine...I could go on.  These are the cases the public knows about and when we talk with the public about the bad few, they think this is the bad few we're talking about.  It's like admitting that Darren Wilson and the others were wrong, and that they make us look bad, when they were good cops doing their job.

Unfortunately in today's media world, it's not even the bad ones that make us look bad.  It's Americans letting the media portray good ones as bad, and everyone ignores the facts.

Sorry </rant>

#11 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

No, it's the bad ones. It's the ones who are out there who are committing crimes, and then flashing their badges to try to get out of trouble. Or the ones who abuse their power to ruin someone's life by planting evidence on an ex girlfriends new boyfriend. THOSE are the bad cops.

And you know what?? We are just as guilty as them if you don't speak up when you see it. I don't want that scum bag around, I don't want him as a partner, I don't want to supervise him, and I do NOT want him as a supervisor! I've seen it first hand, he'll be the first one to throw you under the bus to try to save himself.
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#12 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Amen!

#13 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:50 AM

No, it's the bad ones. It's the ones who are out there who are committing crimes, and then flashing their badges to try to get out of trouble. Or the ones who abuse their power to ruin someone's life by planting evidence on an ex girlfriends new boyfriend. THOSE are the bad cops.

And you know what?? We are just as guilty as them if you don't speak up when you see it. I don't want that scum bag around, I don't want him as a partner, I don't want to supervise him, and I do NOT want him as a supervisor! I've seen it first hand, he'll be the first one to throw you under the bus to try to save himself.

Absolutely they are the bad ones and need to go, but you aren't going to see them high profile on the news.  Nobody riots or protests over that stuff.  Maybe because it's so clear cut when they're caught that they're fired and nobody has to say anything. 

#14 Alexander Garbuz

Alexander Garbuz

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Last Christmas I started a new tradition in my family: on a holiday we are going to a grocery stores, buying a bunch of cakes, cookies or some other treats and deliver them to local police stations around Madison. We do this as our way of saying thank you to all police officers that put their lives on the line daily to make sure others can live in safety. I also do this to teach my son who comes with me all of the time that you need to obey the law and respect the police. We did this several times this year and I plan on continue doing it in the future.

I don't know how else I could thank them. But if anyone want to join us and start doing the same thing in their hometowns this would be great. I am sure this will show our police that people appreciate what they do.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users