9 replies to this topic

#1 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Last month I was in search of a way to carry my gun to the gym. I ended up purchasing the SmartCarry holster. I promised everyone a review, and after using it for a month, here are my thoughts.

SmartCarry has been in business since 1990 and is 100% made in the USA. The SmartCarry holster is a denim pouch that is worn inside the pants, supported by an velcro elastic band that goes around the waist. It's kind of like wearing a cup. Wearing it takes a lot of getting used to, but like any other holster, after a while you forget its there. The side facing the body is made of sweat-resistant Cushmax, and it seems to work well.

There are a variety of custom configurations available. I shoot left handed, so mine is set up this way: The left side of the pouch has a large pocket for the pistol (Glock 19). The barrel and trigger are completely covered, and the grip is completely exposed. The right side has a smaller pocket for an extra mag or flashlight. There is a flat, full-width pocket in the back for money, ID, permits, etc.  

The strap is worn low on the body. It must be worn below the hips, so that the entire assembly is hidden inside the pants. The barrel of the gun should be aligned with the centerline of your body. If you lift up my shirt, you won't see anything (besides my big fat belly). It works equally well for males and females (I'm told) in any type of clothing. I have worn this with all types of pants including jeans, shorts, sweatpants, gym shorts, dress pants, pajamas, and uniform pants. It can be worn with or without a belt, because the holster has its own waistband. With a little bit of adjusting in the mirror before I walk out the door, nobody can tell that I'm carrying. Sometimes in a seated position, the barrel of the gun can make it look like I've got a boner, but it is easy enough to shift into a position which accommodates this.

The SmartCarry allows pretty decent mobility - I was surprised. I've been able to do any of my normal exercises without any difficulty. It's great for deep concealment. The biggest drawback is that it takes longer to draw. Of course this gets faster with practice, but for now I'm pretty slow.  I like to keep my belt snug, and if my belt is snug then I have to wriggle my hand down in, and then out, with a gun. So I have had to keep my belt a little looser when wearing the SmartCarry. 

BOTTOM LINE: SmartCarry is exactly what I was looking for to carry in the gym. I occasionally also use it for deep concealment inside my uniform. The rest of the time, I prefer to stick with my BladeTech IWB holster, simply for speed of draw. HOWEVER, I still wear the SmartCarry even when I'm carrying IWB, so I can conceal an extra magazine, light, etc. on my person!!

Disclosure: Other that owning one SmartCarry holster, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I am not being compensated for this review. This is purely for your information.

I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions.

• Geist and mysteriousjl like this

#2 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the review. I like that you still wear it even when carrying IWB. Maybe put your backup weapon there later.

#3 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

One additional comment - Drawing from the SmartCarry while seated takes a LONG time - especially if you're wearing a seatbelt. This is something that I'll need to practice a lot.

#4 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

I know this is old, and I'm not sure Koopa is even still active, but any updates? I'm looking at a holster for running.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#5 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:40 PM

I'm still around :P  Started a new job recently so I haven't had as much time to spend on the forum as I used to.

No updates, it's still a good holster and worthy of gym carry. It's held up fairly well. I have the white version, and it is getting a little grungy, so I would recommend getting the black one.

• MightyP likes this

#6 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

Thanks and glad to see you're still around. I actually ended up ordering the below pack. Very inexpensive and should easily fit my Ruger LCP, spare mag and maybe even my phone!

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B000PH5QC0 

ITSSignature2.png

#7 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

That link doesn't work for me for some reason. Anyway, if you don't like it, this is highly recommended for running by several guys I know who use them. I don't personally have one, but plan to

https://hillpeoplege.../2/Default.aspx

#8 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:17 PM

That link doesn't work for me for some reason. Anyway, if you don't like it, this is highly recommended for running by several guys I know who use them. I don't personally have one, but plan to

I was actually looking at that too. Just the smaller one. Looks really cool and I might get one anyway. Difference is, the one I bought was less than $21 vs $85+ for the Hill People pack.

When I get motivated enough to walk downstairs, I'll check the link.

ITSSignature2.png

#9 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

I really like this 5.11 waist pack for jogging and cycling:  http://www.amazon.co..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1  

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:17 PM

This looks functional but it is not necessarily as concealed. I know that I would look really out of place wearing this. Whereas the SmartCarry is completely hidden.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gear review, smartcarry, holster, edc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users