35 replies to this topic

#21 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:36 PM

I don't know man, there's a lot of haters out there. Some people claim they're unsafe because it causes you to pull the trigger during your draw, but that's a load of crap, improper training is the cause of those negligent discharges. I've heard a couple of stories about guys getting debris caught in the mechanism causing their pistol to be stuck in the holster, but it's never happened to me. I've known plenty of pipe hitters who have used serpas, and I've always preferred them to safariland. but they have managed to get a bad rep from the interwebs. 

Agency issued duty gun, if carried off duty, is required to be carried in issued off duty holster, which happens to be a SERPA. Personally I prefer Safariland ALS to the SERPA, but that's just me.

Next duty gun is getting a Safariland ALS as an off duty holster, I think. I really prefer the thumb release to the trigger release, but it is what it is.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#22 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

I don't completely hate Serpas, I just feel there's better options out there. And like spence said, most NDs with Serpas are due to user error, mostly to lack of training and knowledge with the platform. I've heard of the stories of pistols being caught in Serpas due to debris, but that in reality could happen with any holster. Some would just be more susceptible than others.

As for mounting it on your vest/plate carrier, I can see the benefits if you're running vehicle mounted patrols. I just prefer it on my lower hip/upper leg so the pistol won't be blocked by my rifle, accessible quickly if prone and not shoving into my chest while prone.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#23 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

RE: Serpas.

If I were using a drop leg, I found their platform to be the most stable and comfortable. But I won't use their holster. I have one, used to have two. I also believe the NDs to be user error. The reason I lost one was that I had to cut it open to get my weapon out. What blocked it? Lint. Fucking lint. Deal breaker. A huge amount of dirt/debris could gum up most any equipment. But lint?

The one I still have is mounted to my dresser for quick access when in bed. But I surgically (screw driver and hammer) removed the mechanism. It's just a shell that holds the gun where I want it. Zero retention.

I've left the drop leg world. Biggest reason is I don't like shit flopping around and getting hung up on shit. It's just not a great place to secure stuff. I prefer a battle belt with a low ride holster now. Mucher better

#24 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

Wow, I feel like I'm old school now.     I am still running a Safariland full drop, and double strap.  I have been since 2007.  Funny, I can't imagine any other way.  

I admit though, most of them time I see people running them and complaining, they are doing it wrong.  Most of the time, they are too low and to loose.  I run both straps, 1st is high as it will go, and snug as I can make it. 

Well, Ill go stand in the corner now and be that guy.    :moon:

• mangeface likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#25 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:39 PM

What is "Pipe Hitters"...................????????

I've known plenty of pipe hitters who have used serpas,

#26 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:45 PM

Wow, I feel like I'm old school now. I am still running a Safariland full drop, and double strap. I have been since 2007. Funny, I can't imagine any other way.

You're also 6'7", so a normal double strap drop leg that sits at my knee will ride high on your thigh.
  • DirtyTrigger likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#27 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

Wow, I feel like I'm old school now.     I am still running a Safariland full drop, and double strap.  I have been since 2007.  Funny, I can't imagine any other way.  

I admit though, most of them time I see people running them and complaining, they are doing it wrong.  Most of the time, they are too low and to loose.  I run both straps, 1st is high as it will go, and snug as I can make it. 

Well, Ill go stand in the corner now and be that guy.    :moon:

I think you're right that most don't wear them correctly. But I've tried it high and tight, and still don't like it.

I've had the double and single straps. Like I said, I preferred the Serpa platform. But even with that strap as high as I could get it, it wasn't working for me.

Probably my balls are too big.

#28 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:26 AM

What is "Pipe Hitters"...................????????

Pipe Hitter: (n) 1. men who get the job done, especially in hostile environments. 2. one who uses a pipe as a primary weapon (yes there is a secret version of the SERPA for pipes and a variety of other melee weapons)

Like Pira said if I have to use a drop leg platform, SERPA's is outstanding, very stable, and the way it attaches to the belt allows the use of your front pocket. For the last couple of years I've been a G-Code convert, one because of their low ride belt hanger, it's nice and stable and doesn't require strapping my balls to my thigh. Also I like the spring loaded bale (the manually rotating bale was my main gripe about the old Safariland holsters). I still have my old SERPA holsters on paddles and take them to the range, but now they are mostly used for convenience if I don't want to run my full belt setup. Safariland is still an outstanding product, especially with the ALS system, but the old school bale annoyed me. So to sum up, I like the SERPA, but there are better options available now.

Edited by spenceman, 04 June 2015 - 09:28 AM.

• Sourdough, DirtyTrigger and jvandivere like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#29 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

Always good to hear real information on thees topics as a civilian... I'd never considered clearing armor etc, I always just thought drop leg was for faster draw, as most "cowboy action" holsters are "drop leg" for that reason. 

Fun stuff.   

#30 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

Bump........I did not buy a drop leg rig, but I am going to next week. And I remembered this helpful thread, and decided to reread it. This thread has a lot of good information for me, and I appreciate all of the thoughts and experience of the forum members.

Is there anything new now on the market........and/or has anyone changed their feeling about a given drop leg holster system........??? Thanks.

#31 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

I also remember seeing an article about serpa holster's breaking at some police training on weapons retention. Basically, the role playing 'bad guys' were able to grab the handle of the pistol and literally break it off the officers belt.  That may not be an issue for you but its one other issue I had seen reported.

That being said if I were you I would get a serpa platform and then use something like a safariland holster.  You get the best of both worlds. 

• Sourdough likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#32 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:21 AM

I also remember seeing an article about serpa holster's breaking at some police training on weapons retention. Basically, the role playing 'bad guys' were able to grab the handle of the pistol and literally break it off the officers belt. That may not be an issue for you but its one other issue I had seen reported.

That being said if I were you I would get a serpa platform and then use something like a safariland holster. You get the best of both worlds.

The holster can also lock up due to dirt/debris to the point where the holster has to be disassembled to remove the pistol. It almost happened to me in Bagram in 09.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#33 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:32 AM

Back in Iraq I had a drop leg SERPA. I never had an ND, and never had it lock up, despite all the sand. On SWAT I use a drop leg ALS. I prefer the safariland to the SERPA. I carry as high as I can without having to lean to clear my stupidly bulky entry vest. I can carry in a duty belt rig with a slight drop, but the vest sits right on top of the grip, so I only need a little drop to keep it on my upper thigh. Drop legs without a need for them suck if you have to run, and if it's a cheap rig, it will slide front to back a lot and your gear is never in quite the same spot. The further you drop, the more that becomes an issue.

I can't carry in my vest. I've already got 2 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags, a Taser, and a bang up front and there's no room for more.

Edited by PSDRyan, 29 June 2016 - 04:33 AM.

#34 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

It appears that this is my most prudent path on which to move forward.

Thanks to "Everyone" for your help, I deeply appreciate the value of the members of this forums "Boots in the Field" experience.

That being said if I were you I would get a serpa platform and then use something like a safariland holster.  You get the best of both worlds. 

#35 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

Wooooops.........One more question. I see that they offer two platforms. One is a Holster platform. and the other is for accessories, like magazines, lights, pouches, etc.

If I am "NOT" going to use a Sherpa Holster, which of the two platforms would be best for attaching a Non-Sherpa holster........???

#36 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

For me pesonally the single strap safari land style works better. The single strap down the middle kept the holster from moving too much. That said, I was in and out of vehicles a lot so sitting would cause it "pull".

This is something for sure personal preference.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users