50 replies to this topic

#41 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Anyone hear any good things about USGI packs?

#42 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:26 PM

hey troops,

Anyone have thoughts on using tactical packs vs civy packs for EDC? I carry a Grey Ghost right now for EDC, even when not on duty. But i work with alot of guys who wont carry a mil-spec pack off shift because they stand out in a crowd. Any thoughts on this? Preferences?

• pira114 likes this

#43 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:51 AM

We've talked about it a few times here. But I can't remember in which thread. You'd have to search. Or maybe someone else remembers.

I like a mostly civilian looking pack. Not camo, not full of molle, etc. But most truly civilian packs kinda suck for EDC.

Right now, I'm all about GORUCK packs. Quality is job 1 (what commercial is that from?). Then functionality, then looks.

The GR0 I carry is superb quality, great functionality, and it's just all black with a bit of molle. It's in the middle of looking "tactical" and "civilain."

Hanging morale patches all over doesn't help that civilain look any.

It also depends on how you're dressed. Also covered in those other threads. Personally, the pack doesn't much matter to me if the dude is decked out in a tial type clothing.

I think the Grey Ghost you're carrying is probably not the biggest indicator that you might be LE or Mil. It'd probably be clothing and the way you carry yourself.
  • juicer5.56 likes this

#44 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Hey everyone, I suffer from being 6'4" tall and finding a good pack that fits me well enough to be considered comfortable. I do a lot of hiking and rucking and I need something that fits me properly. I am looking at the ILBE marpat assault pack by Arcy'tec (think i spelled that wrong) for the Marine Corps. It seems to be a pretty sizable pack and has a pretty padded waist strap system. Anyone have any experience with them? If not, are there any decent packs out there that will fit someone as tall as me for a 72 hour period of time or longer? This is not something that would be an EDC, but could possibly be a BOB in the future. For now it would just be for my weekend treks into the wilderness. Any help anyone can give would be a great help. Just can't find anything that fits me well.

#45 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

I used the ILBE in the Marine Corps and it wasn't very uncomfortable to me.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#46 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

Mange face, you used the ILBE in the marines and it WAS uncomfortable or it was not uncomfortable? your response is a bit confusing.

#47 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

Dammit, I changed my statement while making it. The pack wasn't comfortable. Didn't have the best back support in my opinion. The shoulder straps weren't the best, and the hip belt is poorly attached. It slides over 2 rails with a velcro cover that holds it in place. Mine commonly came off while wearing it.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#48 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:56 AM

wow. ok. good to know Mange. Are you tall like me? If so, did if fit you height wise?

#49 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

Juicer, look at packs that come in different lengths, get properly fitted and try a few bags with weights in. Any store worth their salt should offer the service. I find the Arcteryx Altra very comfortable and am looking at purchasing one.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#50 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Ok, thanks Corbs.

#51 paboisselle

paboisselle

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

This is my Kelty Raven "War Bag", I dig it! It was made to support communications.

Attached Files

Edited by paboisselle, 07 February 2016 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users