5 replies to this topic

#1 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

I am looking to build a few medical kits for my self. While doing this, I am looking to create a list of medical items that are recommended for use and where those items are stored. I've created a spreadsheet on google docs to get input from those on here with much more experience than I and also to gather the thoughts of others. 

The spreadsheet is broken down into the item, what it's used for (hemorrhage control, airway, etc), and what kit should it be included in. For the pocket kit, I am looking for something similar in size to the ITS EDC kit or the Pocket DARK. For the backpack kit, I am thinking ITS Fat/Tallboy size. Car and Home kits will be a seahorse case without the foam. 

Here's a link to a Google Doc. Please look it over and add what you see fit. Once it is filled up, I'll make it a PDF and post it here for everyone again. 

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Personally, I'd ditch the RATS and go with a CAT or SOFT-W. The RATS did not fare too well in some training I've been to. Plus, you'll have more people familiar with those two over the RATS. If they're working on you, you want the equipment with the highest likelihood of being known to your rescuers.

Just my personal opinion. I'm in no way an expert
  • Jersey0311, DieselD and shimy3 like this

#3 shimy3

shimy3

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Personally, I'd ditch the RATS and go with a CAT or SOFT-W. The RATS did not fare too well in some training I've been to. Plus, you'll have more people familiar with those two over the RATS. If they're working on you, you want the equipment with the highest likelihood of being known to your rescuers.

Just my personal opinion. I'm in no way an expert

I agree
Posted Image

#4 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

Whats your level of training?

I'd add rolls of kerlix, lots of it. Next, grab some Coban wrap, or what I liked to use for personal kits, vet wrap. Same idea, not considered "sterile" but at that point the wound has been dressed and is only being secured for transport to a medical facility for further treatment. You can decide, you'll only be saving a couple bucks. Next I'd add a couple chest seals. Sure you can fake those, and its a good idea to know how to fake those; but why? Order some and don't mess with it. Buy at least two, I'd personally have at least three incase the dude is really hairy and you have to sacrifice one. Which leads to the next one. Tape. Grab a few rolls of tape. Both medical, and duct tape. I loved securing my IVs with duct tape when with the S.O. it would piss off the ambulence people, but you know what, when the people were sweating, and the normal tape wasn't sticking the duct tape would. If you can, toss one or two SAM splints in there also, those things are amazing! You can use them for just about anything! Be sure you add the stupid things in there also, like bandaids and the such. I've been stuck with egg on my face when someone got a little cut and I have these full on medical bags and didn't have a little bandaid and ended up having to cut a larger bandaid in quarters to give them. That was kind of embarrassing

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#5 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

I have a fairly basic level of training. Through work I am exposed to medical scenarios all the time so I have been gaining more an more knowledge with more formal training in the near future. My goal with these kits is to stabilize until the professionals arrive, whether that is 5 minutes or 45 depending on the scenario.  With the larger kits, I am trying to think beyond IFAK level and think of broken bones, large wounds, and those types of injuries. 

#6 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

I have a pocket trauma kit, in a hard drive case, best size pouch I could get, protects the contents well. In my bag I keep a larger kit.

Both of these are for major injuries. For lesser complaints I have a boo boo kit in a maxpedition wallet with tweezers, band aids, safety pins, alcohol wipes and common meds. I don't like to root through my lifesaving kit for an ibuprofen because someone's hungover.
Medical Cube15090803677_5fbf077f15.jpg
  • Bag of nitrile gloves
  • Vent aid and more nitrile gloves
  • Triangular Bandage
  • Rolled Gauze
  • Field Dressing and Ambulance Dressing
  • Bolin and Asherman Chest Seals
  • Sterile Saline pod
  • Eye bath
  • Tuf-Cut shears
  • Pouch.
  • (supplemented by a pocket med kit)

[*]A self built pocket med kit, containing:
  • SOFTT-W tourniquet
  • ASP pocket light
  • Lots of gloves
  • Resus shield
  • Quick Clot sport
  • Gauze
  • Huge plasters (can be used for a three sided seal in a pinch) 
[/*]
  • Fivesenenguy likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medical, kit, supplies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users