5 replies to this topic

#1 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

I am looking at buying a Luminox based upon their tritium capabilities and their reputation. The issue with that reputation is that I it appears as it is not all it's cracked up to be. Anyone here purchase one recently and have any issues? Though Amazon is not an "authorized dealer," I'd take their reviews to be pretty legit. Around 2010, they seemed to have a downturn in their reviews. Have they recovered?

• Diveshootroll likes this

#2 Diveshootroll

Diveshootroll

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

I have a very expensive luminox 3150 the all steel version, Its awesome its dial is small compared tom my Fenix3 Garmin. Mine has both the steel band and the rubber, I paid 750 total from a dealer. I paid this price because the last two I bought were not from an authorized dealer and to get one of them fixed it cost me 200 to put new glass and fix the stem on one out of my  pocket because I did not get from authorized dealer. They changed there policy if you did not buy it originally and not from a authorized dealer you are not covered by the warranty. Can be fixed if it actually breaks but will be costly if you not purchased by you from authorized dealer. Hope this helps I like mine am happy with it but I am more happy with my fenix 3. I will probable get rid of the luminox at some point soon. Also I have never had one break from day to day use it was extreme use and my fault, I also have never had one fog up and I have dived with it sauna, hot tub, swimming, and shooting everything imaginable with it no problems. 7lch16h.jpg

#3 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:28 PM

I don't really know Luminox, I have a very old Traser that I love, and a Mondaine that I also love, both have tritium and I'd hate to have a watch without it now.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#4 HTEngineer

HTEngineer

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

I have one. Actually the almost the same model diveshootroll posted. I hate the damn thing. It has broken at least 5 times. I have shattered 3-4 faces and the battery kept going out and broke a number of the steel bands (also why about half the crystals broke). You have to send it in for "authorized repair" which takes awhile and was expensive for me at least at $60-150 a pop. Granted I bought mine 15 years ago for about $300, but about 6 years ago the last time I sent it in to fix the face and replace the battery they sent it back "fixed" but it wasn't working. I called the repair shop didn't believe me, I just said screw it and bought a $20 Casio calculator watch, and it hasn't failed yet. I wear it everywhere, including the shower. The tritium is cool, but also sucks if you don't want your wrist to glow and I don't need it to be dive capable as my ears hate me. I would say if you're going to dive with it, ask the guys who dive what they recommend. They're cool looking and heavy, but I'm a Casio fan now and don't need to spend the money on one. Just debating if I want to do the "smart watch" thing or wait.

Edit: Also forgot about it starting and stopping randomly until you pulled out the stem and messed with it. I think at one point one of the hands popped off as well.

Edited by HTEngineer, 30 April 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#5 B+Shooter

B+Shooter

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:12 AM

I've got a worn down Model 3001 that's sitting in a box right now.  The crystal chipped on the corner, and it stopped working after a dive.  They wanted $75 just to look at the watch, then determine if additional repair costs would be added. I liked the watch, but I can replace it for the repair costs.  It'll stay in the box (dimming tritium) until I decide to take it to an "unauthorized technician" for a lesser price.

I bought mine from an authorized dealer too.

#6 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:11 AM

I've had 2 over the past 10 years. 1 failed by seizing up after one dip in the gulf of mexico ... i dont swim so it was never submerged in any more than ankle deep water. The other failed recently after the gear mechanism stripped out this was after it was replaced once already... not covered under any warranty was going to cost 300 to fix. I ended up going to Suunto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users