21 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

For those of you who don't know, I'm a rookie cop in NJ.

I actually carry off duty, give a shit about my job, and am serious about having the proper tools and gear available to me in the event of some dumb shit happening.

So recently the department issued all the officers a CAT TQ. 99% of the guys just threw it in their bag citing the fact that most of us carry too much on the belt as is. 1% carry it on our person. One guy I know rigged it to the epaulet on his shirt, and I carry mine in a 1110 CAT TQ holder on the belt behind my gun.

The other day at muster, it was brought up that the supervisors had a meeting with admin about the dept purchasing holders like the one I had, and were wondering if guys thought it'd be a good idea to keep them on their person. Naturally all of my coworkers were against the idea, and the Sgt said well it's just the new guy then. I brought up the point of what's the use of having one issued if you can't get to it in time?

I was allowed to keep it on my person and everyone is just going to be big boys and girls and do what they want.

Also, apparently nobody has ever brought a light on their off duty gun to qualification, which blew the rangemaster away. Initially I wasn't going to be allowed to carry the light on the gun, as I wasn't on the special ops team, and there was no policy on lights. I argued that we're getting lights on duty guns in a few months anyway, and I need to be able to positively ID the threat. They like us carrying a flashlight off duty for that reason, and I argued that having a weapon light would supplement, not replace the handheld.

I'm one of two guys in patrol that aren't on the special ops team that are authorized lights on the off duty guns. Other guy is another Marine who I gave a TLR-1 to that I got hired with. I'm also apparently a lunatic because I carry a spare mag off duty. About half the department has off duty guns they're qualified on. The other half don't bother. Of the half that does have off duty guns, a smaller amount carry spare ammo.

I'm also the only guy on the squad who volunteers to pull out a shotgun everyday. Nobody wants the thing. I also keep an OSOE 12ga Micro Rig loaded with an IFAK and 30 extra slugs in my bag along with 7 other mags for my duty gun with duty ammo. All ammo and mags were purchased by yours truly, something that's apparently unheard of. I'm not allowed to qualify with a rifle, dept issued or personally owned, until I'm off of probation, so I'm pulling the shotgun out every day until then.

For shits and giggles, there's an extra identical IFAK in my bag, and an extra CAT TQ in the bag as well. I'm currently on FTO still, so I don't carry as much as I'd like since the Chargers we use are tiny as shit and the trunk is non existent. Once I'm cut loose though I'll definitely have a few more items in the car with me, like a dedicated medical bag. I worked EMS in town prior to being hired, so I get sent to all the EMS calls since none of the senior guys like first aid stuff.

Just wanted to vent. It's frustrating sometimes but it's nice knowing that when shit goes south, I'll be ready.

• spenceman, CalicoJack, LongHaul and 8 others like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#2 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

Sounds to me like you're the one that will make it when everything gets retarded 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#3 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

A lot of times being "that guy" is a bad thing. In this case I'd say you're setting the bar as one of the good guys.

I run into the same thing flying in the military. Some aircrew don't even carry basic survival or even overnight gear on local flights. On our "local" flights we can end up literally all over the state of Alaska. From the arctic circle to the panhandle. Sometimes at night and often in inclement weather. You still find people flying without even carrying a coat or decent gloves!
  • spenceman, Jersey0311 and HTEngineer like this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#4 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

I get it. Most of the time, within an hour to a week of giving you stick over your kit, they need it. Tends to shut them up. I hope that doesn't happen with TQs.

You're right, they know you are, it's just a reality they don't want to have so they will be unprepared if they ever must.

There are two types, those who see it as a calling and an incredibly important role to be honoured with undertaking, and this who see it as a way to pay the bills. Officers here wear their BA low to cover their tummy, use Iphones as flashlights, would never carry a multitool, have no personal first aid/trauma gear. I have learnt not to be reliant on others to have what I need, or a situation needs, whether that's paperwork or a trauma dressing. That's served me well, and the need has been proven on and off the job. They are usually silenced when reminded how long it took for an ambulance to arrive last time they called one.
  • Jersey0311 likes this

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#5 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:49 PM

Well, be careful on FTO. You don't want to alienate too many people that have control over your career.

With that out of the way, don't sweat it. When you're off probation, grab hold of all the new guys as they come in and square them away. Change from within and the bottom up. Works sometimes.

I used to be the only guy who carried a trauma kit and CAT on my team. Now there are 9 of us. Out of 30. Only took about 2 1/2 YEARS.

Never give up
  • spenceman and Jersey0311 like this

#6 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:53 AM

Hang in there Jersey, you're doing the right thing and you know it.

Being "that guy" in this case will save your life if ever needed and other lives of those unprepared.

• Jersey0311 likes this

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:02 AM

Well, be careful on FTO. You don't want to alienate too many people that have control over your career.

With that out of the way, don't sweat it. When you're off probation, grab hold of all the new guys as they come in and square them away. Change from within and the bottom up. Works sometimes.

I used to be the only guy who carried a trauma kit and CAT on my team. Now there are 9 of us. Out of 30. Only took about 2 1/2 YEARS.

Never give up

My FTO's only gripe with me is that I don't write enough people tickets. We're both big into motor vehicle stops, but for different reasons. He's more of a traffic enforcement type, and I'm usually in it to attempt to toss the car and find drugs and guns. Do some criminal interdiction type stuff. I'm not in it to hammer people for petty bullshit, unless they're total dicks.

Other than that he's just happy I can type, can write a good report, know the jurisdiction, the radio stuff, and am not retarded. He thinks I'm silly for pulling out the shotgun every day, but he doesn't mind.

• spenceman likes this

TBL-2.png

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

I'm curious how it changes over time.

I think I would be in your boat... I'd like to think I would take advantage of every opportunity I got but would I (and you in this case) get jaded after 10 years of service and just start doing the bare minimum until that retirement finally comes?

I'd like to think not, but I'm not in your shoes so I can't say... I know I do the bare minimum from time to time here at work but that's only because stacks of paper can wait =)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

I personally would love to be on a squad of "Those guys". Stick with it Jersey. My personal experience is yeah, you maybe rubbing some guys the wrong way, but there not the ones that matter if you want to advance to the speciality units and move up. There the ones that made day shift and are happy about that. Stick with it and stay on point.

Stay safe brother!
  • spenceman, Jersey0311, HTEngineer and 1 other like this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

Day shift is not meant for guys like me. Afternoons and nights is where it's at for the meat eaters.

• DirtyTrigger and DieselD like this

TBL-2.png

#11 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

No spare mags for off duty EDC? That's crazy talk.

Good to hear you're making valid points as to why you do what you're doing and they're actually listening and accepting it. I know they could just as easily bl9w you off since you're the "FNG".
  • Jersey0311 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#12 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 11 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

Jersey,

Yea, you're "That Guy".

You're That guy who give a shit about his job

you're that guy who takes a job in law enforcement seriously

you're that guy who tries to be the best at what he does

you're that guy goes beyond what is expected

and you're that guy who I hope shows up when I can't handle things on my own

Big thanks from a Civi who lives in a small town where all the high school dope head jocks turned into local sheriffs.

La'

• spenceman, CalicoJack, DirtyTrigger and 2 others like this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#13 HTEngineer

HTEngineer

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

You're in Jersey and they don't issue you IOTV/MTV's neck, groin, and DAPS, with Kevlar and M249's? That's negligence pure and simple!  :tongue:

Obviously I'm kidding, but most of the police officers I run into don't give a shit about the medical side. I wish my buddy would carry his med supplies. When he got out of the academy I gave him a SOF-T Wide and another guy hooked him up with some QC gauze and he wasn't happy about both of those. He works nights in one of the more "interesting" cities in our state. I kind if wonder if people don't carry med supplies because it reminds them of the physical damage that could happen to them besides the back pain from years of duty belts and sitting in cars. I get the same looks as a civi when someone sees the TQ in my messenger bag.

Next time anyone gives you shit about the TQ just start telling gruesome stories from when you worked EMS. With the flat, sealed kits that fit inside your armor there's no reason not to carry one anymore and TQ's aren't that big.

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

You must not know my brother Jersey... this is Jersey: Mr. Bullets and Bandages. Thats his schtick and he does it well. 

Seriously, I respect the hell out of you and what you are trying to do, stay the course and fight the good fight. The life you save may be your own.

• Jersey0311 and HTEngineer like this

89BccLb.png

#15 rottenit

rottenit

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in MN thats not cool

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

Keep it going man, you are doing the right thing.

#16 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

One way to get guys interested in the trauma care side is to facilitate training. See if you can find some local training and get it sponsored by the agency. Or go on your own, but it'll be hard to get people to go with ya. Probably some free training through FEMA around you. I sent most of my team through free training that way. But they were into it.

There's a couple reasons why cops don't like the medical side. Both are rooted in ignorance.

One, they believe it's intended for helping the bad guy. They don't know the med supplies are meant for self rescue or buddy rescue. Not really meant for bad guys.

Two, they're afraid of lawsuits if they do something wrong. Again, they fail to realize what the supplies are really for.

Most cops erroneously believe that medics are going to be able to fix it all. They fail to remember that medics are sometimes not close. Or we don't always let them in to the scene quickly. Then there's the possibility of needing aid in an area that radio coverage is non existent (we have a lot of that).

You gotta find a way to educate them. Then find a way to get the training.
  • rottenit likes this

#17 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

One way to get guys interested in the trauma care side is to facilitate training. See if you can find some local training and get it sponsored by the agency. Or go on your own, but it'll be hard to get people to go with ya. Probably some free training through FEMA around you. I sent most of my team through free training that way. But they were into it.

There's a couple reasons why cops don't like the medical side. Both are rooted in ignorance.

One, they believe it's intended for helping the bad guy. They don't know the med supplies are meant for self rescue or buddy rescue. Not really meant for bad guys.

Two, they're afraid of lawsuits if they do something wrong. Again, they fail to realize what the supplies are really for.

Most cops erroneously believe that medics are going to be able to fix it all. They fail to remember that medics are sometimes not close. Or we don't always let them in to the scene quickly. Then there's the possibility of needing aid in an area that radio coverage is non existent (we have a lot of that).

You gotta find a way to educate them. Then find a way to get the training.

Funny you say that. Prior to being hired I worked as a TCCC instructor in addition to my full time EMS gig and many part time EMS gigs.

I just submitted a draft program for recruits going to the academy (we have a strong pre-academy program) to prepare them for the tough medical portion of the course. It's something I'll be teaching in the not so distant future. I know most of the guys on the side I'm on because they've been to many jobs with me on the EMS side.

It is what it is. There's a few other switched on types, but they aren't on day shift for the most part.

TBL-2.png

#18 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

Are shotguns the only long guns you carry in the vehicle or is that in addition to a patrol rifle?

As for spare magazines off duty thats ridiculous I carry a g26 with +2 extension on it and then a spare G17 mag in my pocket at a min.  When I am carrying a bag of any sort I usually toss a couple spare mags in that as well.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#19 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

Are shotguns the only long guns you carry in the vehicle or is that in addition to a patrol rifle?

As for spare magazines off duty thats ridiculous I carry a g26 with +2 extension on it and then a spare G17 mag in my pocket at a min.  When I am carrying a bag of any sort I usually toss a couple spare mags in that as well.

Shotguns or rifles, not both. I'm not allowed to qualify with a rifle until I'm off probation, so I'm stuck with a shotgun until then.

TBL-2.png

#20 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:05 PM

Shotguns or rifles, not both. I'm not allowed to qualify with a rifle until I'm off probation, so I'm stuck with a shotgun until then.

Ah fair enough its a shame they won't let you carry both.

• Jersey0311 likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users