22 replies to this topic

#21 mysteriousjl

mysteriousjl

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 129 posts
  • LocationCentral MN

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info; looks like my current wheels may be lasting longer than I thought, though!

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#22 Robert McLeod

Robert McLeod

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 9 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

I'll jump in a reiterate what all the other LEOs have already said.  When you see the mileage on the odometer, tripling that number is probably being conservative.  If you drive two miles to chase down a speeder after running radar, chances are the vehicle has been sitting there idling for at least 20 minutes.  We all know that damage that can cause to a vehicle, especially in the hot months with the AC running at idle.  Just like anything else we use, it's treated as a tool, not a keepsake. 

#23 charliefox

charliefox

Swabbie

• Validating
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

A company I worked for bought them as security patrol vehicles. When we got them they had between 90-100k on them. Within three to four months things would start to go wrong. Sometimes it was cheap stuff; lights, batteries, alternators, hoses. Many more times it was big things; wheel bearings, wiper motors, heater cores and transmissions topped the list. Police vehicles lead a hard life, let them retire in peace (or pieces) and spend your money on a good solid used car.
  • mysteriousjl likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users