Photo

Does anyone keep a dog as a First Responder?

Dogs K-9

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Ok this is a little more of a topic for questions I was asked in an old post.

I have a Malinois that I have trained for bite work, tracking, drug detection, and ammo detection. I do train dogs so this is pretty much my normal routine with all my dogs. I was wondering how many non-trainers keep personal protection dogs or have thought about it. I am not doing a sales pitch nor am I trying to sell a dog just an idea. The asset of a well trained dog is beyond reproach and is actually more useful than I think most people know about. The majority of the training can be done by you if you are willing to spend the time. I was wondering how many of you would be interested to watch some videos on YouTube if they were to be made. These would be longer videos probably a half hour, HD, and informative. Any interest?
  • MableCali, CharlesSwen and thevulpini like this
Past behavior is indicative of future performance!
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

Ok this is a little more of a topic for questions I was asked in an old post.

I have a Malinois that I have trained for bite work, tracking, drug detection, and ammo detection. I do train dogs so this is pretty much my normal routine with all my dogs. I was wondering how many non-trainers keep personal protection dogs or have thought about it. I am not doing a sales pitch nor am I trying to sell a dog just an idea. The asset of a well trained dog is beyond reproach and is actually more useful than I think most people know about. The majority of the training can be done by you if you are willing to spend the time. I was wondering how many of you would be interested to watch some videos on YouTube if they were to be made. These would be longer videos probably a half hour, HD, and informative. Any interest?

As far as training videos are something I might potentially be interested in I have been seriously considering a Giant Schnauzer for a while now.  

• spenceman likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:53 AM

I know I briefly looked into a professionaly trained dog but there just isnt any way I could drop the price of a nice brand new truck on a dog as much as I would love to.

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:40 AM

I'd be interested in the videos for sure. Been thinking of going that route, but as mentioned, the price tag basically kept me out of the market.

#5 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHolly Ridge, NC

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:59 AM

I have a Lab and a Heeler/Terrier Mix. My lab is relatively laid back (What lab isn't?) but my Heeler... He's spun up like a 4yr old on a box of pixie sticks.

Both of my dogs can be protective.

If I had the time, I'd love a Mal. And would be interested to see what your dog is capable of.

But my dogs will have to do, and they do fairly well

The lab, while more laid back I've learned that if he gets involved or becomes active that it's either a person I can trust and he likes (Someone I already know)... or that person is up to no good. To be honest he doesn't like big hats or hoodies. Can't see their face very well, what I'm assuming. He gets very aggressive when he hears my voice get aggressive. We essentially feed off each other. There was an instance where he spotted someone hiding in a bush, and his bark and growl forced the person out. I then drew my weapon (dark semi-wooded area near my apartment at the time, late at night. In Astoria, near the Exchange B3dlam),  then I issued a "show me your hands" command (as he had them in the large front hoodie pocket )and the guy ran.

My heeler/terrier, feeds off his own protective/herding instinct. In general, if you come near my house, fence or even he can see you from where he is at he barks. If the door bell rings or the front door knocks he barks then growls. He is extremely protective of HIS home. Once I bring someone in and gesture that they are ok he becomes playful. But people don't know that unless i let them.

I'd love to get some training for my pup's, but time and money aren't very abundant around here. Maybe someday....  And to be honest, I've told my wife. Someone comes in our house and the dogs respond, they are our first line, our job is to protect ourselves. Chamber a round (in each of our pistols), fight our way to our son (if the fight is needed) and get the cops on the phone.  My dogs will sacrifice themselves for us, and i sleep a little easier knowing my dogs are a bit bark happy.

#6 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

The price of a trained dog is pretty high for most of us. I can go into how great they are but the reality is the only reason I have them is because I trained them...lol. So that is the reason I am wanting to do the videos. I am middle class and the dogs are now a side job. Do you guys want to see basic obedience too or are you all past that? The Mal I am currently working has had training but isn't completely finished so you will actually get to see things like tracking and searches from the start. He has a solid foundation on bite work and obedience so that will be a simulation with him on training. I will show some of them with my hunting dog, German Shorthaired Pointer, just so you can see some stuff from the start. Can you guys list the stuff you want to see and I will work on that first.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

I think some videos on basic obedience would be great too, that way we have the broader spectrum to choose from, and can stop at whatever level fits our personal situation. Scent detection and tracking would be great. I'm curious about bite work, but I don't know how feasible it is for the average person, so a video on where/how to get a bite sleeve and cost, and a discussion of the legal liability of having a bite trained dog (especially as trained by the owner). The idea sounds great, I'm with Bedlam, I've been looking at Giant Schnauzers for a few years, and part of the reason I've been holding off is cost and availability of good training.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#8 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

I'm definitely in on basic obedience also. Had to put down my 11 year old beagle last year. Slowly talking the ol'lady into another one. Training is a big subject for us

Edited by pira114, 23 June 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#9 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

Ok I can whip out some basic videos pretty quick. This will be done on my GoPro so I am going to have to work around the rain so I can get sound. I will also see if my other Camera will do a quality video for todays HD monitors. I am new to making videos but if I can fix multimillion dollar equipment then I am sure I can do this.

Legal Liability for bite training is a big concern. That's why I encourage you guys to join clubs and to learn first hand how to read your dog and how to handle them. It is also why you have to socialize a dog properly before beginning your training. My Mal, even though very social is not a pet. He lives with my family and interacts with them daily just like any other dog. However he is introduced to people I want him to know as friends on leash and under my control. This is done to prevent any issues, such as him misreading someone's intentions and biting them. He is safe but he is not a pet, just as your rifle is safe but not a toy. You don't show everyone your rifle and you don't show everyone your working dogs. In the end state laws differ but ultimately you are legally and financially responsible for what your dog does. I am not aware of any states where it is illegal to train a dog to bite. There are Schutzhund clubs in all 50 states so that would stand to reason that bite work is ok for your dogs. Again it's actions are your responsibility.

I will also start some tracking videos and sent detection as the obedience can be done on the same day as the others. To start scent work you guys will need to have some 3/4" PVC pipes about 12" long with end caps, drill holes about a 1/4" down all 4 sides and put about 6 to each side. You guys can work on that while I get some videos going. Also for the scent work you will need the odor of what ever you are wanting them to find. If you want it to be drugs you can get pseudo scents from places like Ray Allen or Elite K-9. If you want to use real dope you can apply for an experimental license from the DEA for $200 and they will FedEx it right to your house when you are approved. Kinda works the same way as a Tax Stamp and it gives Uncle Sam a key to your house. :) If you just want to play around with it you can use AKC Scent work kits from places like Leerburg and they run about $40-$60. Or got to the store and buy birch oil or any oil and use it. Totally up to you.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

Ok I can whip out some basic videos pretty quick. This will be done on my GoPro so I am going to have to work around the rain so I can get sound. I will also see if my other Camera will do a quality video for todays HD monitors. I am new to making videos but if I can fix multimillion dollar equipment then I am sure I can do this.
Legal Liability for bite training is a big concern. That's why I encourage you guys to join clubs and to learn first hand how to read your dog and how to handle them. It is also why you have to socialize a dog properly before beginning your training. My Mal, even though very social is not a pet. He lives with my family and interacts with them daily just like any other dog. However he is introduced to people I want him to know as friends on leash and under my control. This is done to prevent any issues, such as him misreading someone's intentions and biting them. He is safe but he is not a pet, just as your rifle is safe but not a toy. You don't show everyone your rifle and you don't show everyone your working dogs. In the end state laws differ but ultimately you are legally and financially responsible for what your dog does. I am not aware of any states where it is illegal to train a dog to bite. There are Schutzhund clubs in all 50 states so that would stand to reason that bite work is ok for your dogs. Again it's actions are your responsibility.
I will also start some tracking videos and sent detection as the obedience can be done on the same day as the others. To start scent work you guys will need to have some 3/4" PVC pipes about 12" long with end caps, drill holes about a 1/4" down all 4 sides and put about 6 to each side. You guys can work on that while I get some videos going. Also for the scent work you will need the odor of what ever you are wanting them to find. If you want it to be drugs you can get pseudo scents from places like Ray Allen or Elite K-9. If you want to use real dope you can apply for an experimental license from the DEA for $200 and they will FedEx it right to your house when you are approved. Kinda works the same way as a Tax Stamp and it gives Uncle Sam a key to your house. :) If you just want to play around with it you can use AKC Scent work kits from places like Leerburg and they run about $40-$60. Or got to the store and buy birch oil or any oil and use it. Totally up to you.

If you have a newer iPhone you can actually do really decent video on them without too many accessories.

#11 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 20 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

I have a 5s but wasn't sure if the video would high enough quality. I would like to have it on a tripod so you guys can see everything I and the dog are doing. Good idea though I will see how it works out.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 decepticon1

decepticon1

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

We have a small yapper (daughter's pug) inside that is quick on the alert. We also have a black lab/English Shepherd cross that looks like a field style lab for outside. She alerts us to any vehicles, pedestrians, or unapproved wildlife (anything that will kill a chicken or tear up a garden). She will chase the critters off but will only bark at people, so not exactly a protection dog. However, since she has never been in a situation where any of the family members were actually threatened, I don't know exactly how she would react to a threat. Generally, she raises the alarm and I am the threat.

I am seriously considering opening a kennel to start breeding some good scent dogs. I would welcome a video that would help me identify good potential breeding stock and also how to best start my puppies (access to food across a wobble board, etc.) I actually have made a few inquiries and have some potential buyers interested, but am just at the beginning phases of R&D for the project.

I am not planning to go into the shepherds/malinois due to the fact that most of the trainers I have spoken with prefer to buy those breeds from Europe. I am thinking more about accelerant detection, explosives, etc. And of course, I dream of creating my own "recipe" for my version of a Sulimov. So I am looking more at the nose than the take down capacity.

#13 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

I have a 5s but wasn't sure if the video would high enough quality. I would like to have it on a tripod so you guys can see everything I and the dog are doing. Good idea though I will see how it works out.

I will pm you.

#14 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:04 PM

Have a "Thundering Herd of (Rouge) ATTACK GEESE".

Edited by Sourdough, 23 June 2015 - 02:05 PM.

• Coydog1254 likes this

#15 Dabster

Dabster

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

No suggestions on training aids for cadaver dogs?  :tongue:

About ten years ago I decided to try Schutzhund with my third German Shepherd. I am fortunate because one of the more respected North American authorities lives in my area and teaches at the local club. It was a lot of fun but also a huge amount of time. My dog did not go far but it helped and I can really appreciate the value of a highly trained dog.

I now have two mutts. They are a great alarm system. 

In for links to video.

Edited by Dabster, 23 June 2015 - 05:19 PM.

#16 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:22 AM

With cadaver dogs you have to be careful. There are pseudo scents available but be sure to check that they are not a carcinogen (cancer causing). This has been an issue in the past. NAPWDA has some great people for cadaver work and they are pretty open to new help. Again training won't be cheap so be sure that is what you want to do.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#17 Fivesenenguy

Fivesenenguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

I have two husky wolf hybrids who are very protective although i do constant obedience training with them a look from a different perspective never hurts. I would love to see some vids.

Attached File  puppies1.jpeg   103.76KB   0 downloads

Attached File  puppies2.jpeg   75.56KB   0 downloads

my pups

EIu5PDO.png

#18 Coydog1254

Coydog1254

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

I am trying to work the video around work, rain, and the 4th of July. I will get it done but it may take a week to do it. May just use the GoPro and use subtitles.
CrewLeaderSignature.png

#19 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Would definitely be interested in the videos and seeing what else we can teach this guy...  :biggrin:

8747021483_d83bac34dc_c.jpg

• Fivesenenguy likes this

#20 thevulpini

thevulpini

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

I've been doing a lot of research on getting a Belgian Malinois, aside from the training that would need to be put into that sort of dog, do they need constant attention or would they okay to be left alone while at work?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dogs, K-9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users