BACK'UP Guns for "NON"-LEO

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

So I see we have a thread......."Back up guns for LEO"..........well what about Non-LEO people........???

I have to deal with some aggressive SOB stinky, short'tempered, bad-breath double-butt ugly mosquitoes and then there are those Grizzly Bears.

My back-up most often is: G-24C or G-35 (Sometimes a S&W M-60 3")

If the new G-40 (10mm) ever gets released, it will move to the head of the back-up team.

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:46 PM

You mean as a side arm for hunting and such? For that, I use my Blackhawk. 45 Colt with Buffalo Bore 320 grn pills. Yeah, it's single action, but I'm getting good with it. And it has commonality with my hunting rifle. Marlin in .45 Colt. Same pills.

If you meant every day carry, I don't see it as different than cops. Other than location of carry

#3 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

If just for hunting, and back up against predatory mammals, or the rare but drunken hunter the longer barreled high caliber weapons seem good options.  The gentleman above recommended a .45LC Blackhawk.  Other options may be a slightly more common .44 magnum or already addressed the 10mm.  You might consider the S&W 500 magnum. 

In 2011, while still a cop, I recall their being what we'll call an instigated ruckus with part of the town excited over a recent series of events.  We were actually all standing around in the dispatch room discussing the matter, and one of our gallant officers voiced his chosen expletive, stated "I've got my back up" and pulled from his patrol bag a 500 magnum.  Someone happened to say in return, again with his chosen expletive, "you could drop a bear with that thing."

As an aside, he had actually brought it to work to show off, but it could have served an added purpose. 

Also, in line with the above, if you're looking for an EDC BUG then you'd be held to whatever else you could secret.  If you choose IWB for a medium to larger frame handgun then you might opt for a subcompact in a pocket or the dreaded ankle holster. 

CrewLeaderSignature.png​

#4 Blackshirt

Blackshirt

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWaldheim, LA

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

For woods carry, I prefer a long arm. However, if I need to keep my hands free I bring along my Glock 32 wth S&B 140 grn FMJs. They penetrate deep and hit hard...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users