Photo

What do you think of these? Would you get one?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gjthomson78

gjthomson78

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

A crowbar-like attachment that goes over the end of your telescoping baton to make a quick breaching/entry tool.

www.noknoktools.weebly.com

Attached File  Figure 5 - Straight.png   662.56KB   0 downloads

Attached File  chisel going onto baton.png   108.5KB   0 downloads

Attached File  90degree on baton TRANSPARENT.png   44.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Figure 6 - 45 Degree.png   808.02KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Figure 8 - Goose Neck rotated.jpg   91.62KB   0 downloads

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:06 PM

Don't think I'd trust my ASP to stand up to lateral force like that

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Looks gimmicky. You wouldn't have any thrusting force without collapsing the baton.

Cue thrusting force jokes

#4 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:06 PM

No. First, it looks like it would be uncomfortable rubbing your body if you carried it on your belt. Second, neither an ASP nor Modadnock are built to be used as a lever. They'll bend, and you'll likely damage your locking mechanism.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#5 gjthomson78

gjthomson78

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far - All valid points.

ASP state that their batons have a tensile fail point (bending) of 215,000PSI. This is the same bending point of the leading brand of bar used in Olympic weighlifting. I would have thought this would be more than enough needed to gain entry to most domestic (non-fortified) dwellings/cars/sheds/gates, etc? ASP also state their batons can withstand 9000lbs of pressure... that 4080kgs in metric...

Re: leverage, given the length of the batons issued to Police in Australia (I'm Australian), I would have thought that the baton would have the same amount of leverage available as a standard crowbar?

re: comfort. I'm doubting anyone would keep it on their belt. It'd probably be a 'keep in your kit bag' item. Handier than a battering ram...

#6 gjthomson78

gjthomson78

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

re: thrusting force - agreed. No good ramming the baton... it'll probably collapse as it's supposed to. It'd be for levering only I guess.

#7 Corbs

Corbs

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

The batons now issued in my force have a load of attachments like this. YouTube 'Euro Security Products' batons. Very glad I joined when US brands were issued.

15466484298_865322dd97_n.jpg

#8 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

I used an ASP for years, and I don't see it working under those conditions. Sounds like you've made your decision. Let us know what you think when you get it.
  • gjthomson78 likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#9 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

ASP - a heavy tool used for knocking on doors and scratching ones back under armor
  • AaronK and pira114 like this

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Anyone here successfully use an expandable baton to bust out car windows? I carry a Res-Q-Me tool on my work keys for those VIP customers that deserve that sort of treatment as I've seen too many vids where it took an obscene amount of blows to bust the window.

• gjthomson78 likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Anyone here successfully use an expandable baton to bust out car windows? I carry a Res-Q-Me tool on my work keys for those VIP customers that deserve that sort of treatment as I've seen too many vids where it took an obscene amount of blows to bust the window.

At a class this weekend we had a junker vehicle we used for some shooting but as a result we had plenty of windows to test tools on the most impressive one I saw was the benchmade spring loaded glass breaker that also has a seatbelt cutter.  That thing went through windows no problem we tried the non spring loaded versions and it took far too many hits to instill confidence. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#12 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

I keep a steel spring loaded center punch. But I've seen batons take out windows better if you hit around the edges. In the center and the window just flexes

#13 gjthomson78

gjthomson78

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:06 AM

There's a product called busta-cap out there (I think you can get them on ebay) that replace the endcap of your standard baton. Much more effective. They've got a youtube vid too I think.

#14 mlp2147

mlp2147

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationHolly Ridge, NC

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Looks like with all of the joints it would have too many points of potential failure.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users