Photo

Software over Hardware . Knowing the principals behind the tools you want to use

TCCC bleeding control airway management

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigpac931

bigpac931

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:59 AM

Ok so i stated this thread cause i see a lot of people more worried about which kit to buy and talking about EDC, Home, Truck , Range bag. The WHO( adult pedi) HOW many ( how many people are you going to try and treat out of one kit bag ETC. Where ( Low or High altitude, cold temps. on water ,hight temps and or humidity, Situation ( active style shooter or non life safety  issue environment for the care giver.   Knowledge of how to treat will always make your you kit or lack there of do more and go further . So lets get the real questions out there and make everyone more prepared .

Posted Image

#2 bigpac931

bigpac931

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

Ok so i see the thread has been at least looked at so that is a start . For people who don't know me i go by Mongo i work at RSKTKR Consulting i taught 2 years ago at the Lone Star Medics Conference could not make it this year. The purpose of this thread is going to be a Question and answer / comment on not just  how to treat trauma injuries  but the  principals behind the treatment so if the ideal or easiest tool is unavailable how to improvise and why it will work.                                                                                                                                        That being said i will start with bleeding control I like to break bleeding into 2 different categories  Pressurized and  Non pressurized wounds.  To first understand bleeding control think of a water hose and water coming out of the end depending on how open the valve is controls flow rate the same way the size of the Artery injured dictates how much blood loss there will be . That is why i like pressurized and non pressurized. So lets say the valve is slightly cracked you can place your hand over the end of the hose and stop water from coming out .This would be  applying direct pressure to a Non pressurized wound and stopping the bleeding.   Now lets open that valve  up a little bit if water is flowing at a rate when you try and cover the end the water sprays all over you you Now have a Pressurized wound ( no blood will not be spraying but it will be leaking or flowing past your hand or hands).                                      So how do we treat a Pressurized wound lets think of are Garden hose if you put a kink in it this would be like using a pressure point to aid in bleeding control. For rapid trauma care there are real to pressure points you need to know Femoral and Brachial,  Femoral  is in the upper inner thigh, Brachial is on the upper arm near the bicep shoulder connection. Now that you have applied pressure to the pressure point ( put a kink in the hose ) again with your direct pressure then bleeding will slow and stop.                                                                   Time to open the valve all the way high flow lots of pressure we will have to kink are water hose a couple of times to reduce the flow ,think of this as using a Tourniquet it creates as close to complete blockage of flow as possible. There is still a need for bandaging at wound site after this is done .                                                                                                                   So those are the real down and dirty ruff around the edges to bleeding control questions comments are more than welcome I know that clotting and clotting agents were not mentioned but i feel before people just buy and use something they should understand what it does. If someone what to start a discussion on them i am more than happy to talk more about it then.                                                                                                                                         Please feel free to ask any question what some people may feel is a stupid question may be the one we all learn the most information out of .

• Geist, DieselD and BTSmith10 like this
Posted Image

#3 DustOffMedic92

DustOffMedic92

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

I know where you are coming from on this man. I am a current Army Flight Paramedic and from family members, to shooting buddies, I have people always asking what to buy, what to get, to look in my bags and setups, and everytime I always tell them that all the equipment I have and use is derived from years of patient care and field work. I derive my setups from equipment I have access to (Army MEDLOG) and the equipment I have trained on and like. But the key there is training...the skill drives the tool, not the other way around. You can have all the CATs and HALOs you want, but without knowing the use of them, or why we use certain things, its pointless. Even if its as simple as taking a TC3 class, which are popping up everywhere, or basic first aid, learn the stuff then buy...I dig your info though man. Its good to try and  put out as much as possible. 

Edited by DustOffMedic92, 10 December 2015 - 01:38 PM.

-Jamie

"DUSTOFF"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TCCC, bleeding control, airway management

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users