• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 scottalan

scottalan

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

I am looking for some apartment security tips, recommendation and/or products to purchase that would aid in security.

• MableCali likes this

#2 jopasmith

jopasmith

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

My wife and I always made sure we knew the people who lived around us so that we knew who we should be expecting to see. That way if someone we didn't recognize would be hanging around we knew to keep and eye on them.

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

What floor are you on?

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:26 PM

It's not too much different than a house. Except knowing that being off the ground floor has ups and downs.

You're less of an easy target. You have the high ground with only one (usually) obvious entrance. But, your avenues for escape are severely limited.

I'd start with the door. Same as a house. You'll probably need permission (or save the old door and replace before you leave). Reinforce the frame, then get at least a solid wood door if not metal.

Then I'd get hinged window bars (hinged for escape).

Security camera.

Other than that, I'd need to know the Floorplan and layout of the grounds. But you shouldn't post that shit online. That's part one of security.

#5 hrddrv

hrddrv

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArcher, Fl

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

We did something that most people don't do. In one of our apartments the front door and patio were up front and the master bedroom and bath were in back, so we bought a simple motion detector that had a separate speaker. If someone opened either door the speaker would sound. It was great for me who worked nights and slept during the day. It alerted me when the pest control man came in without knocking and I quickly got him placed on leave without pay. Another thing we did was purchase these things that cover the peep hole so no one could see in. All the apartments we lived in had actually really good doors and locks, and all had a chain or swing lock that was put in correctly. Now a days since cameras are so cheap I would probably look into getting one or two.

#6 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:10 PM

I lived in a frame built apartment for a couple of years.  If you're in a more compartmentalized, cement structure you're a bit better off.  I'm not sure what the proper construction terminology for this is.  I was fortunate to be on the second floor, and I had a metal door and door frame.  A couple of ways to have made the entry more secure, which may generalize to your door (and any door), is inserting longer hinge screws and a deadbolt with a longer throw.  There are also more expensive deadbolts which are reportedly more difficult to pick.  For any floor, you may consider the 3M laminate for windows.  Neither of these two mentioned things require any structural modification.  Give the manager/owner a key to the deadbolt, and you may be covered. I cut a one inch wooden dowel and inserted in my windows which necessitated breaking the window to knock the dowel out before it could be opened.  Finally, if your flooring would support it, you could acquire some sheet steel and place in the apartment, bolt it to the wall, and get some good cover. This is kind of far fetched although doable. 

I used to worry about home invasions in my apartment.  I was a cop at the time, and some of the thugs knew where I lived.  I was quite the proactive guy and was not a well liked nemesis.  I slept with my duty pistol (Glock 21) on the nightstand and awoke around 1000 one morning, after getting off from a night shift at 0600, to find my front door opening with a couple of men's voices.  I bolted out of bed in my boxers and confronted the owner and a maintenance guy at gun point (with finger pulling slack out of the trigger most likely) and commanded them to get their hands up and lie down.  They tried to negotiate, but I wasn't actually awake enough to process and communicate.  The owner was down to one knee before I realized what was happening.  I was just doing what years of forethought and training had me do.  After realizing they were coming in for an inspection and I didn't hear them knocking at the door we had a bit of word about them doing something damn stupid and me killing them.  Had I woken up to find them in my bedroom I probably would've shot them where they stood.  No one ever came back for an inspection or anything else, lol.  In fact, they mailed my deposit back before I even moved out.  I'm really happy and blessed to have a good office job now, plus I'm not a cop anymore. 

• Koopa and littleninja like this

CrewLeaderSignature.png‚Äč

#7 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

When I lived in a second floor apartment unit, I had a camera system that would send me an e-mail everytime the door opened (motion detection). I had to turn it off once our cat was running back and forth lol

#8 scottalan

scottalan

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

I live on the second floor. Can anyone give me links to some of the products described? I already know about the door devil, so motion cameras, etc.

#9 quinzswein

quinzswein

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:37 PM

Hi, I am looking for a home security system. While searching online, I found Home Automation System by Think protection in which they offer smart locks and thermostats. The price range seems to be justifiable and the features also are good. What are your opinions on it- http://www.thinkprotection.com/products/think-home-automation/.  Anyone have other suggestions?

#10 PSDRyan

PSDRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 441 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

See if you can get a new door. Went to a call at a complex a while back. An angry ex girlfriend used a stick to punch a home in the outside of the door, then peeled of the thin fiberboard layer. Then she pushed through the inside layer and unlocked it. Made very little noise, and took almost no effort. The exterior door was 2 thin layers of fiber board sandwiching a cardboard honeycomb.

#11 Koopa

Koopa

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

Definitely get a second-floor or higher apartment if possible. My last apartment was a ground-floor and the bedroom had a window to the sidewalk. Literally I slept with my face 3 feet from the sidewalk. One time somebody outside sat on my windowsill for a smoke and a phone call. WTF! 

The apartment was constructed very cheaply so it would have been really easy for anyone to break in. The door was steel but the walls and windows were paper thin. Fortunately the neighborhood was nicer. My best bet was just to keep a weapon on me at all times, and make it difficult to tell if anyone was home. I mostly kept the lights off and the blinds closed, and play any music quietly. If you can install cameras that is great but it won't prevent anything, it will only document what happened. Be observant of your neighborhood and get to know what is normal, so you can tell when something isn't right.

#12 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:48 AM

Brian went over this topic to an extent in gear tasting and he's still very impressed my the door devil, if you're allowed to install those in your apt.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#13 xjmv

xjmv

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

If you are above ground level, make sure to have evac ladders, so you can get back to the ground through a window if other exits can`t be used (Ex: Fire)

- xJMV

Fight, Win, Prevail.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: security, appartment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users