75 replies to this topic

#1 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 07 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Just entered my 3rd week of EMT school and enjoying the heck out of it.  Have my first exam this week on the first 4 chapters, and next week we are finally doing skills sign-offs.  Been memorizing medical/trauma assessments and practicing taking baseline vitals.  We'll be signing up for clinicals shortly in which we'll get a minimum of 3 hospital, 1 fire and 1 private ambulance service rotations.  99% of the students are going into fire service with the remaining few going into being PAs or paramedics.  I'm the only one that has plans to attend the police academy after graduation.

Decided I needed a break between work, school and studying, so what did I do? Go on patrol! Went out for 8 hours overnight and had an absolute blast.  I won't be able to do much of that as I squeeze in clinicals and EVOC to my schedule, but I'm sure I'll get out every now-and-again.  Took a picture at a motor vehicle accident I worked (below).

Attached Files

• spaz926 and Gregorybex like this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Just be careful with the posting of pictures from scenes, don't wanna see you get jammed up brother.

Happy to see you're enjoying yourself!

• EMSWxSAR and Firerescue183 like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

Appreciate that Jersey. Made sure that there was nothing really identifiable. Took this after the patient was transported and we were clearing down.
  • Jersey0311 likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#4 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:20 AM

Congrats brother! Keep it up
  • EMSWxSAR likes this

#5 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:43 AM

Appreciate that Jersey. Made sure that there was nothing really identifiable. Took this after the patient was transported and we were clearing down.

I'm not too sure about that, I think I can just make out a fire truck (or a UFO ;) ). Keep up with the studying.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#6 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:23 AM

Sounds awesome. I'm in my third week of an EMT program as well.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#7 davebcarr

davebcarr

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Congrats! Getting my EMT is easily one of the most fun things I've ever done. Keep studying those assessments, i felt like once i got those down the rest was cake. 

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#8 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:41 PM

Medical and trauma assessments are down pat.  I'll be tested on them on the 17th.  I'm also nailing BP, pulse, respirations, etc.  I definitely think this will open some doors for me.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#9 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

Wow. You're being tested on them that fast? We learn/practice one night, practice more the next night, sign off the night after that. We have to have two sign offs by the end of semester on each skill. Then we aren't tested formally on the skill until the end of the semester. It's to make sure you're retaining the skills not just learning them for a test.

It would be cool to know about all the differences between EMT programs around the country.

jK7bW4k.png?1

#10 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:37 PM

We have to get signed off on our skills early so we can participate in clinicals.  We have a minimum of 3 8-hour hospital, 1 12-hour fire, and 1 12-hour private ambulance service rotation.  We can request more as long as everyone gets the minimum and there is availability.  We'll also be spending the second half of the semester doing scenarios.  We actually have a pretty cool simlab.  It has a mock apartment, ambulance, triage room and a mock hospital bay.  Our instructors can monitor us via audio/video recording devices and communicate to us through the manikins.  I also, tonight, just started EVOC (16 contact-hour course).

Florida uses the NREMT-B written exam as a pre-req for licensure (we can apply for a state license once we pass that exam).  Our psychomotor skills are signed off with our lab final.  Once all is said and done, I'll have both a State of Florida EMT license and NREMT-B creds.

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#11 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

Sounds awesome. We have a mock ambulance, triage room, and hospital bay. We don't have the mock apartment, that is pretty cool.

We have to do at least 3 6-7 hour rotations with EMS (Austin-Travis County EMS and Williamson County EMS), 2 8-hour rotations in the ER (we have a level 2 trauma center), 1 8-hour Labor and Delivery rotation, and 1 8-hour Communications rotation (dispatch center).

I think all 50 states require NREMT certification in order to be licensed now. We also get signed off on our psychomotor skills with the completion of the course. We use FISDAP for scheduling, but it also allows us to take a mock NREMT written exam which is actually a required grade for the course. That will be a nice review for the written NREMT exam.

I'm going to a clinical orientation tomorrow morning, couldn't do it last week because of Labor Day. I'm sure we'll learn much more about the clinical rotations.

Keep us updated on your progress through the program, and I'll do the same if you don't mind. I don't want to hijack your thread.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#12 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:14 PM

Wow! L&D and Comm Center would be interesting rotations.  I'm going to attempt to get as many fire and hospital rotations as I can get my hands on.  Not really fond of the private ambulance clinical as it is mainly interfacility transport around here -- the municipalities and county get the MVAs, medical calls, etc.

The mock NREMT exam would be beneficial.  Wish we had that over here.

Clinical Orientation for us is scheduled for the 22nd.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread...I'm definitely interested in how our experiences vary.  Will be a good opportunity to share some tips/tricks as well!

• spaz926 likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#13 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

Completed my trauma assessment and vitals tonight.  All signed off on those.  Was able to get signed off on my medical assessment last night since we have a fairly large class.  So, I was finished with class in about 45 mins tonight.  Not too shabby!  Next week is going to be long.  Got my normal EMT course load and will be finishing EVOC, but at least then that will be out of the way.  Hopefully we will start being able to sign up for clinicals next week as well.

On my way out went and talked with some of the Police Academy students that were on break.  Cool guys.  Looking forward to taking that a year or so from now. 

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#14 martin bishop

martin bishop

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 10:28 PM

you learn the first rule yet?

#15 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

It is awesome to see other EMS students on here.  I am in my 3rd semester of paramedic school at Oklahoma City Community College.  The course that I am in is a hybrid class where we only meet for 9 hours every other Tuesday.  The rest of the course is online, and of course clinicals.  I started out as an EMT in the Army in 1998, and then got my EMT-I in 2007.  Since Intermediate is going away, I decided that since I will have to retest at the NREMT level, I might as well get the gold patch.  Definitely following this thread!

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#16 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

you learn the first rule yet?

Are you referring to "If it looks bad cover it up?"  "Blood goes around and around, air goes in and out, and any deviation is bad?" or "When responding to a cardiac arrest, first check your own pulse?"  Oh...One more.  "Just remember... when responding to an emergency...it is THEIR emergency not yours."

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#17 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

Here are a few pictures from my paramedic program:

otmuTdP.jpg

4TkyQN4.jpg

76ZOnSc.jpg

b8QPzbL.jpg

oAluuoO.jpg

Edited by Firerescue183, 23 September 2015 - 01:30 PM.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

#18 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

Oh...One more.  "Just remember... when responding to an emergency...it is THEIR emergency not yours."

This was what our instructor told us Day 1. Told us a story about a man that called 911 because he hit his toe on the wall. When they got there he told them his pain was a 0. He got freaked out about the blood. Different people have different levels of emergency. Just because you think it's not an emergency doesn't mean they don't. And the other way around too. Just because they think they're fine doesn't mean they are.

Update

I received my second and final sign off for O2 setup, NRB, NPA, BVM ventilations, suction, and OPA last night. Still need my second sign off for Cardiac Arrest Management and AED. We've yet to start sign offs for vital signs and trauma assessments, though I think trauma assessment sign offs are tomorrow night.

We've been given a sheet with all the students' names and we must get two sets of vital signs from each person (two different days) before the end of the semester. Last night doing vitals on everybody really helped with my auscultated blood pressure skill. It's not an easy one, but I'm getting better at it.

Our first true exam opened yesterday and is available for 7 days to take. While we've taken two exams prior to this one they were not true exams (one was over CPR and one was over our understanding of rules and policies regarding clinicals). This exam is over the preparatory module of the book (basic understanding of EMT and EMS, medical, legal, and ethical issues, documentation, communication, lighting and moving, A&P, pathophysiology, airway management, ventilation, oxygenation, vital signs, scene size-up, and patient assessment).

I will be taking that exam in about an hour.

My first clinical rotation will be on the 28th to the Combined Transportation Emergency and Communications Center (dispatch). I'm looking forward to starting all my clinical rotations.

• EMSWxSAR likes this

jK7bW4k.png?1

#19 EMSWxSAR

EMSWxSAR

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 368 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:37 PM

I received my second and final sign off for O2 setup, NRB, NPA, BVM ventilations, suction, and OPA last night. Still need my second sign off for Cardiac Arrest Management and AED. We've yet to start sign offs for vital signs and trauma assessments, though I think trauma assessment sign offs are tomorrow night.

We seem to be the complete opposite over here.  I'm hoping that next week we'll start to get signed off on some of the other skills.  Some of the students in my class signed up for clinicals starting on Oct 9th...they have nothing other than assessments and vitals signed off though.  We are required to get so many O2 therapies, monitoring, bleeding control, etc and they can't do those out in the field yet.  Hopefully that doesn't end up as a wasted day for them.  I opted to wait until October 24th to start mine.

I just finished EVOC today.  It was a blast driving around the ambulance.  I apparently have a knack for it.  Discovered something bad though.  I really don't do well in the back of an ambulance.  Really bad nausea.  Any advice? I got two 12-hour rotations in the back of one and am now nervous as heck about it.

• spaz926 likes this

its_fl_sar_smaller.png

#20 spaz926

spaz926

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

I just finished EVOC today.  It was a blast driving around the ambulance.  I apparently have a knack for it.  Discovered something bad though.  I really don't do well in the back of an ambulance.  Really bad nausea.  Any advice? I got two 12-hour rotations in the back of one and am now nervous as heck about it.

Oh wow. We don't do EVOC.

For the sickness I would say drink lots of water and try to look out the front of the ambulance. Our ambulances' captains chairs don't move at all so the latter of the two suggestions doesn't work well here, but make sure you're hydrated it helps.

Don't take Dramamine or any other medicine like that because of the side effects it can cause. You want to be 100% when your on your clinical.

I wish I had better suggestions for you.

jK7bW4k.png?1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emt, medical, bls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users